The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. my GTI is heading a bit North of 117K miles, and I had always intended to have a Lotus supplement some of the future miles which would otherwise be added to my poor car.. However I've been in discussions with my other half who insists that the Lotus is not a good replacement for the GTI since it is impractical :)eek: Really?) and the Lotus could not haul around the kids.. It's not the point as the kids would not be allowed in any new car I would purchase anyway..

Nevermatter.. So looking at the abysmal state of many of the "sedan" styled cars out today, I've decided that the line of BMW's most match my taste.. So if I loose the fight for a Lotus.. I'd have to get a Beemer..

The 5 series seems to be what we can decide on.. and what I'd like to ask you, fellow Elise/Lotustalkers, is if an M5 is worth the premium or is a 550i acceptable in matters of performance?

3 series is too small (too much crap to haul around)
7 series is too big (tho, I wouldn't mind)
Z series has no back seat (I'd get a lotus anyway)
X series.. I already have a SUV..

525 or 535.. My GTI is already faster than either of these.. I'm looking to kick it up a notch..

So is it worth 25 something K for a pair of extra cylinders under the bonnet for an M?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why can't you keep the GTI for the utility and buy an Elise?
Aye.. that would be ideal, and if I could sell the idea, I would.. However the wife wants another "family" car .. and having a Lotus and a GTI for backup "family" activities wouldn't work for her.. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Aye.. that would be ideal, and if I could sell the idea, I would.. However the wife wants another "family" car .. and having a Lotus and a GTI for backup "family" activities wouldn't work for her.. :shrug:
What about Lexus or Audi? S4 or S6 would fit the bill, I think...

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
x6

·
Registered
817 Posts
I drove a 525 as a rental and it was slow and unresponsive... I was not impressed at all. So, based on that, I'd say go with the M so at least you can go fast in a straight line. I'd personally go with an Acura or an Audi... Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Well then, I'm sorry to hear about the death of your Elise dreams. And, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's lack of understanding of your desires. Do you get absolute veto rights on all shoe and purse purchases? "I don't care if you prefer the smaller purse, it just doesn't work for me. I want you to have a backpack just in case..." :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about Lexus or Audi? S4 or S6 would fit the bill, I think...
Not too keen on the Audi's styling.. A little too subtle.. The R8 would be nice, but still lacks a back seat.. Lexus? perhaps.. I'd have to sit in one..

x6 is nice but looks like a large Murano.. I've got one already..

I drove a 525 as a rental and it was slow and unresponsive... I was not impressed at all. So, based on that, I'd say go with the M so at least you can go fast in a straight line. I'd personally go with an Acura or an Audi... Good luck!
Yeah.. but between a 550i (V8) and a M5 (V10), having 360 and 500hp respectively.. Is that worth $25K+?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well then, I'm sorry to hear about the death of your Elise dreams. And, I'm sorry to hear about your wife's lack of understanding of your desires. Do you get absolute veto rights on all shoe and purse purchases? "I don't care if you prefer the smaller purse, it just doesn't work for me. I want you to have a backpack just in case..." :)
Well.. the lotus dream is alive and will keep on continuing..! Funny I've ragged a bit on the Ethos/Eagle for having a back seat.. it may be what saves me!

She's not a big shoe and purse person.. she likes to travel.. but if she wanted to buy $65K shoes.. I might have something to say about it.. heh

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've got a 2006 M5... I briefly considered the 550i, but in the end I wanted all the M bits, including the (adjustable) suspension (and of course, 500HP). When I'm driving it in Manhattan, it's on full soft; and it deals with potholes, etc. very well. When I'm out on the highway or back roads, it's in full "M" mode, and it's a complete blast to drive. The SMG-II is plenty of fun in manual mode too.

EDIT: The V-10 exhaust note is sweet, and nothing else on the road sounds like it (except for an M6 :D)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

rotfl Good point.

The 550i is really not that much faster than the 535i. The question here should be: Is the $15-20k premium over the 535i worth it for the 550i?

For the prices that slightly used M5s go for, you would be better off getting that than getting a new 550i...

I just don't get it. If you have a GTI and an SUV, why do you need another one? Ah well...I feel for ya.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just don't get it. If you have a GTI and an SUV, why do you need another one? Ah well...I feel for ya.
Well.. the GTI just had a 2000$ oil change.. so I'd like to keep it off the road as much as I can.. but I don't want to sell it.. yet..

Also, have you ever considered just getting a cheaper family car and spending the remainder on an Elise? That way you're both happy.

$20k Honda Accord

$35k for an Elise

And you're still below the cost of a new 550i.
Yes.. that would indeed be plan C and may get bumped up to plan B.. but then I'd have to sometimes tool around in a Honda.. how exciting.. ;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Its better to ask for forgiveness than permission. In situations like that i used to just get it and then take the heat. Life is too short (only if you can afford it, with family expences)

Besides if it makes you happy, then it should make her happy...is that not a partnership.
Ever heard the phrase" whatever makes you happy"

Hope your wife is not like that . Life is hard enough only to go home and be led around by the short hairs.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Yeah.. but between a 550i (V8) and a M5 (V10), having 360 and 500hp respectively.. Is that worth $25K+?[/QUOTE]

well... it is arguablly the most sophisticated engine you can get in a production passanger car!

·
Registered
431 Posts
M5 is a blast but have you ever considered the 7 series? You can lease an $86K 750 Li for under $1100 per month and I'm sure with the help of wallybyguy, you could lease it for even less ;)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I'd have to sometimes tool around in a Honda.. how exciting.. ;)[/QUOTE]

i tool around in a crappy scion... its no big deal when you get in the elise :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
525 or 535.. My GTI is already faster than either of these.. I'm looking to kick it up a notch..
I think you need to recheck your info. The 535 is way faster than a GTI unless it's Blown. It's close to the NA Elise in times. 0-60 close to 5 and quarter in the lower 13's. PLus one chip and your faster than the 550i.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A stripped ///M5 is $86,000, loaded $97,000. Buy your Elise and give the wife a $50,000 budget for a family car. Win win.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think you need to recheck your info. The 535 is way faster than a GTI unless it's Blown. It's close to the NA Elise in times. 0-60 close to 5 and quarter in the lower 13's. PLus one chip and your faster than the 550i.
+1^^ Don't know how I missed that but that is correct.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts