The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to know how many keys made for the Exige lug nuts. Do all Exige owners have the same key? I doubt it since that would mean all a criminal would have to do is to buy a key and steal someone's rims.

I'm trying to get the back tires changed out (Falken Azenis) but the shop that serviced my friend's lotus seemed to have stripped the bolts and need to order new lug nuts and they lost the key.

My buddy basically left his lotus with me until we can get the lugs and new tires put on since the tires are down to the thread. No way he's going to make it back from San Francisco to Orange County.

Any way I can borrow a key from a Lotus Exige person in the bay area to get the tires changed out?

BTW...the 2007 Exige is for sale. All reasonable offers taken!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
There are ten different keys if I remember correctly. First order of business once you get the keyed bolts out is to throw them away. The slots on those get chewed up very easily and then you're really doomed. I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Are you talking about the normal wheel bolts (which need a spline tool to remove) or coded anti theft bolts? (you mention "lug nuts" which doesn't make sense)

If coded - then andykeck's answer above is correct.

But I believe the coded bolts were discontinued a while back (my '06 never had them).
The standard wheels need a special spline tool (included in the toolkit in the boot/trunk or available from a dealer). It's the same for all Elises/Exiges so you could borrow one from any owner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys, the lugs are definitely a "spline" type. The folks at Viking Motorsports in Orange County worked on the Lotus about a year ago and some tech guy stripped the ones on there now. They were nice enough to accomodate and pay for new lugs so I gotta give them props for maintaining their customer relationship with me.

Not sure how the stripped lugs are going to come out....the may have to be drilled out?

Is there anyone here on the forum in the Bay Area that I can borrow their key? Also where would the key be if I did have it in the Lotus. Sorry...it's not my car :( You guys have been really helpful! :clap:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hey guys, the lugs are definitely a "spline" type. The folks at Viking Motorsports in Orange County worked on the Lotus about a year ago and some tech guy stripped the ones on there now. They were nice enough to accomodate and pay for new lugs so I gotta give them props for maintaining their customer relationship with me.

Not sure how the stripped lugs are going to come out....the may have to be drilled out?
The guy probably didn't use the tool that comes with the car. If he attempted to use a Allen (hex) head tool or even a Torx tool, he may have been able to get out the bolts - but it would have messed things up.

The Lotus tool and the lugs are 10 sided (not 6 like a Allen or Torx) and not compatible with anything else. The tool is relatively cheap (around $10) at a dealer, so it's a good idea to have a spare as it's not the toughest tool out there. Used properly (not over-tightened) it should work just fine.

As to how to get off the messed up one - that's a different matter. They make special sockets (heck I recently bought a set from Harbor Freight) that are used to "grab" the outside of the lug bolts. They may not work in the recesses of our wheels however. In any case, a good tire shop should have a variety of tools to remove stripped lugs - it's a fairly common problem for them to have to deal with. Note that I said a "good" tire shop...

As also pointed out, the early cars came with "McGard" type of "locking lug bolts" - the kind with the "clover leaf" pattern with a matching key. There were only a few different keys. Many people (including me) replaced the locking lugs with standard ones - the special tools is enough of a "lock" as it is...

Photo of McGard type of locks:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts