The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bumped a thread in maintenance asking this but didn't get an answer in a week. Search has general answers to transfluid (mostly MT-90 related) but are not specific to the factory LSD and I have no local motul dealer. I understand the LSD does make a difference. Motul has Gear 300, and 300LS. Which should I get? Sector sells 300LS. One post on here mentioned that maybe the factory lsd didn't need the 300ls friction modifier. That's what got me to thinking I need to find out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
In my attempt to research this issue I came upon this link on motul's website which does recommend 300 gear oil for non-lsd equipped elises and exiges.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still reading LS modifier is bad for torsen LSD.

·
Registered
935 Posts
tranny fluid

LS stands for Limited Slip modifier for plate-type differentials. It adds extra slipperiness to the oil to prevent the plate-clutches from chattering.

LS is not good for Torsens or synchros, it makes both work harder, since they rely on friction.

Anton

P.S. My 2008 BMW M3 was making a 'rubbing' noise during low speed cornering (as in parking lot driving). I thought, it was my bigger tires rubbing. Not! Changed diff fluid to Redline with LS. No more noise! LS additive wears out faster than the oil, unless you are racing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts