The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured we needed a new topic to bat about - it's too quiet out there...

What's everbody's opinion regarding the in-gear performance of the new engine, considering the US car's added weight? We all know about the 4.9-ish 0-60 time quoted. I'm referring to everyday driving - you know, when driving along at 2,500 to 3,500 RPM. Will we have to drop down two gears to get to the meaty torque, or will the engine pull hard at this rev level?

In other words, do you think the new combo will be better/worse/same as the Euro setup? Remeber - our car has put on some pounds...

Just thought you might enjoy discussing this. :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I expect they will be quite similar (Fed vs. the 111S). Both torque and weight are up marginally. What we haven't seen is the torque curve for the Toyota engine with the Lotus ECU. Lotus has implied that they have made improvements in the lower-RPM torque. However, with the 6-speed versus the 5-speed, you might be in a sweeter spot in whatever gear you may be in at the time.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I think that performance will be adequate at the mid rpm range, certainly not requiring a downshift for minor changes or casual passing (note - this is just speculation, I havn't driven one yet).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I just recently went to a Toyota dealership to test drive a Celica GTS. I was suprised at the amount of low-end torque. Granted it didn't have as much as my Mustang GT, but with a lighter Elise, and slightly more torque all around. I think it will have plenty of power except for the most power hungry. Then, you'll probably want to down shift into the valve change range (6000+ RPM), which is a noticable increase in torque.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had the same thought...

I had the same idea about the Celica, maybe even renting one for a while to get a feel for the powertrain. I mentioned this idea to a couple of the Lotus guys at the LA Show and, FWIW, they kinda shook their heads and laughed. Their opinion was "don't even bother"...:) It appears that they believe the Lotus re-engineering effort has resulted in a significant change to the character of the engine, and this coupled with the Elise's lower weight would make a comparison almost meaningless. That's their $0.02, not mine BTW; I may still try out a Celica just for the halibut.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never had any complaints about my Celica's low-end.

But I also don't have the same aversion to downshifting that auto journalists have. :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Not only the ecu mods but also a much lighter car. FWIW the cam changeover is much smoother on the elise.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts