The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Sorry I can’t help with Evora sizes, but I’ve been using them for about 20 years, first on my Miata then on my Exige, they’ve always worked fine. I’ve never had one break or leak, or otherwise need replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,368 Posts
I have never understood the need for speed bleeders. From what I understand, with them, you put a hose on them, hose in a jar, crack the nipple, pump the brakes, close the nipple. Without speed bleeders you put a hose on them, hose in a jar, crack the nipple, pump the brakes, close the nipple. I just did a brake job on the ZAV (LX470) consisting of a new $1500 MC/accumulator/pump assembly, new rear calipers and bled the system with about 2 quarts of DoT4. Yeah, that's what it takes to do one of these beasts. No speed bleeders and don't see how they would have helped. And for the hose, I have found a Nasal Canula (O2) hose to be PERFECT for the job. Fits nice and snug on the nipple, any length you want to go into the jar. Heck, put 10' of hose on it and watch the bubbles go past the car door as you pump. No more bubbles? Done.

·
Registered
2014 Evora S
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without the speed bleeders you need someone to pump and someone else to crack-and-close. Speedbleeders make it a one-person job.

I have used the Motive pressure system on other cars but after a clamp failed and sprayed fluid all over the place I won't use it anymore.

Up next - MightyVac.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,368 Posts
My point is it is still a 1 person job without the speed bleeders if you use a hose and a jar of brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have never understood the need for speed bleeders. From what I understand, with them, you put a hose on them, hose in a jar, crack the nipple, pump the brakes, close the nipple. Without speed bleeders you put a hose on them, hose in a jar, crack the nipple, pump the brakes, close the nipple. I just did a brake job on the ZAV (LX470) consisting of a new $1500 MC/accumulator/pump assembly, new rear calipers and bled the system with about 2 quarts of DoT4. Yeah, that's what it takes to do one of these beasts. No speed bleeders and don't see how they would have helped. And for the hose, I have found a Nasal Canula (O2) hose to be PERFECT for the job. Fits nice and snug on the nipple, any length you want to go into the jar. Heck, put 10' of hose on it and watch the bubbles go past the car door as you pump. No more bubbles? Done.
You must start with some brake fluid in the jar with the end of the hose in the fluid, otherwise (with no one pressing the brake pedal) air will get sucked into the caliper when you crack open a standard bleeder. And no need to worry about air leaking in at the hose attachment with speedbleeders.

Speedbleeders are super handy when swapping in new (thicker) brake pads at the track. To push in the pistons, just throw a rag down, crack open the speedbleeder, and use the old pads as levers to push in the pistons, very easy with the bleeder cracked open.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,368 Posts
You must start with some brake fluid in the jar with the end of the hose in the fluid, otherwise (with no one pressing the brake pedal) air will get sucked into the caliper when you crack open a standard bleeder. And no need to worry about air leaking in at the hose attachment with speedbleeders.

Speedbleeders are super handy when swapping in new (thicker) brake pads at the track. To push in the pistons, just throw a rag down, crack open the speedbleeder, and use the old pads as levers to push in the pistons, very easy with the bleeder cracked open.

Actually, you can start with a dry jar. Olive jars work great, tall and skinny. The first fluid out of the system is either old or going to be full of air or both. By the time you are getting just clean air free fluid out, the jar will have plenty in it. And anything sucked back in from the hose will be the new clean stuff just expelled. And I'm serious about a nasal canula hose. The oxygen bottle end fits just perfect, nice and tight, no air can get by. If you really feel like it, put a wrap of teflon tape on the nipple threads, or some pipe dope or something, but I've never found it necessary.

·
Registered
2014 Evora S
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the replies. Mightyvac just arrived from Amazon so I'll give it a shot.
Quick question, maybe naive, do I need to bleed both nipples on each caliper? Never had two nipples per caliper. I know there's a joke in there somewhere....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Without the speed bleeders you need someone to pump and someone else to crack-and-close. Speedbleeders make it a one-person job.

I have used the Motive pressure system on other cars but after a clamp failed and sprayed fluid all over the place I won't use it anymore.

Up next - MightyVac.
Don't put any fluid in the Motive container, just use it to pump pressure into the master reservoir. Almost no chance of making a mess this way and there is nothing to clean after you're done. You will have to watch the master to be sure you don't run it too low though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep, motive pressure bleeder is all I need to bleed the brakes on all my cars. I am only one person. I have never touched a speed bleeder. If it makes you feel good to buy them, more power to you.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Wierfd how SB1010 is correct on my 2011S and was fine on the 2010, but they bottom out on the 2013 calipers. They were key before I had my Mityvac, but not so much anymore. However the one on the clutch bleeder is fabulous. No air will ever get back into the system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts