The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has already been discussed. Have any of the new Fed Elise owners had a close encounter with a speed bump or entry/exit to a steep driveway ? I am concerned that the car may be susceptible to grounding. Does the sport package make any difference ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
No problems with speed bumps, but I would not make it out of my driveway with the LSS. I only have about 2mm to spare as it is (up front, no problem at all with the back).

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Excellent question regarding speed-bumps. Anyone know the approach angle spec of the Fed Elise (with/without LSS)?

The speedbumps around here are reaching monumental proportions! I think the proliferation of SUVs is to blame, since anything smaller wouldn't be noticed. Combined with nearby runoff 'ditches' in the asphalt, they can totally wreck a car.

There is a Vons store here I simply can not visit. The speedbumps are too high to take at any speed, and the crest of each is scraped bare in a visual testament to the undersides it has abused.

If I ever have access to a snowplow, I will visit that Vons and circle the entire lot, leaving a wake of cured asphalt.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Have no probs with speed bumps or steep driveways. My driveway is pretty steep but I approach at an angle. no issues.
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, excellent question.
In fact this could be a deal breaker for me. I have "speed humps" on both ends of my street. They're high, but with relatively shallow slope. My old NSX could make it over them, but there was very little clearance. I would be interested in hearing from anyone having experience with both cars.
Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ground Loop wrote:
The speedbumps around here are reaching monumental proportions!
Yeah... no joke! There are speed bumps around Huntington Beach and Irvine that aren't "bumps" in any definition. Even in a stock ride heigh Audi, I've bottomed-out and scraped. (It's always amusing to me to see these speed bumps that have an incredible amount of scars on them from other cars who have sacrificed suspension and exhaust bits on them.) Yes... I agree, the proliferation of SUVs and their propensity to not slow-down or stop for anything is making these speed bumps necessary.

Bob

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Excellent question regarding speed-bumps. Anyone know the approach angle spec of the Fed Elise (with/without LSS)?

The speedbumps around here are reaching monumental proportions! I think the proliferation of SUVs is to blame, since anything smaller wouldn't be noticed. Combined with nearby runoff 'ditches' in the asphalt, they can totally wreck a car.

There is a Vons store here I simply can not visit. The speedbumps are too high to take at any speed, and the crest of each is scraped bare in a visual testament to the undersides it has abused.

If I ever have access to a snowplow, I will visit that Vons and circle the entire lot, leaving a wake of cured asphalt.
Are you talking about the Vons off the 56 ? I've found a way in and out of there with only one speed bump either way.

If speed bumps are the response to SUVs, the preson who made the decision needs to be dropped in the middle of the pacific. You know the concrete slabs that are sometimes placed at the front of a parking space ? I've seen at least four women in SUVs drive over those because they're too lazy, or incompetent, to use reverse.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Gromit said:
Are you talking about the Vons off the 56 ? I've found a way in and out of there with only one speed bump either way.
Yep! You know the one. Brilliant placement of speed bumps and drainage ditches. I use it as an example of the most poorly designed parking area. What a disaster.

I believe the SUVs drive over the 'tombstones' because they simply don't see them from way up there. I also see the SUV soccer moms driving over the concrete islands to 'make the light' or enter a driveway on the left. Wonderful.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Wasnt a "splitter" or front undertray (skid plate?) a dealer option on the Elise? If so, I have to consider purchasing it. I'd rather some plate take the abuse than the bodywork. I know speedbumps, driveways and concrete blocks (in parking spaces) can be very damaging...

Bob

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
rtking said:
Wasnt a "splitter" or front undertray (skid plate?) a dealer option on the Elise? If so, I have to consider purchasing it. I'd rather some plate take the abuse than the bodywork. I know speedbumps, driveways and concrete blocks (in parking spaces) can be very damaging...

Bob
I want one of those for mine. The last thing I want is to crack the glass.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I agree I want it (and I don't recall seeing anything about it after the first mentions).

But then I also wonder if adding any thickness to the front is going to increase the problem. You would protect from scraping, but decrease the clearance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 350Z, which has adjustable ride height coil overs, cannot make it over the big hump at the entrance to my office bldg., nor a similar hump at my condo, when it is cranked all the way down (about 1" lower than stock). I don't know for sure, but I think a stock Elise would be at least as low as my lowered Z.

I can raise the coil overs and then get into the office and condo garages without a problem, but it is a big job and I don't do it very often. Thank god it's not my daily driver.

I think ground clearance is going to be an issue for all Elise owners. But you find ways around it. I have a friend with an extra parking space a couple of blocks from my condo, and he lets me park there.

If I have to drive the Z to work when it is lowered, I have to pay $8.50 to park at a different garage across the street. Needless to say, I don't do that very often.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
I thought I read here recently that the spec is 130mm from the ground to the frame with 75kilos in each seat and a half a tank of fuel. That's like 5 innches and a bit. That was on a thread about alignment settings and was for the standard suspension, Sport Package is 5mm lower.

Shouldn't that be enough for most speed bumps? Driveways are a different thing.

Maybe some parts hang below the frame.

Greg

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes, I have Aubergine on order. I am number 8 at my dealer. Hopefully I will see it in the next month and a half. If someone else has not already posted good pictures before I get mine I will post some up.

What happened to the Aubergine press car? Why were there not good pictures of it? Is it just because dark colors don't photogragh well?

Greg

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Racer X said:
Yes, I have Aubergine on order. I am number 8 at my dealer. Hopefully I will see it in the next month and a half. If someone else has not already posted good pictures before I get mine I will post some up.

What happened to the Aubergine press car? Why were there not good pictures of it? Is it just because dark colors don't photogragh well?

Greg
I don't think it came out of the...;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Racer X said:
I thought I read here recently that the spec is 130mm from the ground ... Sport Package is 5mm lower.

Shouldn't that be enough for most speed bumps? Driveways are a different thing.

Maybe some parts hang below the frame.

Greg
Thanks, I'll go measure the humps soon.
My driveway was a bit tricky with the nsx, but could be navigated without contact if careful. It doesn't seem like the elise would be worse in this regard...
The humps are my main concern. It would be a problem if I couldn't drive the car to my house.
rss

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
We have 7 humps on our long street and of course I have to pass over all of them. They are broad and designed to allow travel at 25 mph without a problem. I would think that the low profile of the humps would allow the front end to clear the front side without a problem, but I don't know what happens as you cross the crown and go down the back side.

Driveways strike me as more of a potential problem, given the dips that they can have. We live on a hill and our driveway slopes a fair amount and has a dip between the sidewalk and the street. Should be interesting. However, we have a three-car garage, so the driveway is wide enough to allow a lot of maneuvering with the entry and exit angle, so I'm assuming that I can manage if I take it slow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts