The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like i will be getting my new elise this in the next day or 2. i was wondering how the elise does with speed bumps and speed humps? is it possible to get over them. anything else i might want to watch out for as far as everyday driving goes? Thanks for the help.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Should not be an issue. The taller that they are, the slower and the more of an angle to address them.

Driveway and entrances/exits from the street are the real issue.

(fyi: corrected title spelling)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Should not be an issue. The taller that they are, the slower and the more of an angle to address them.

Driveway and entrances/exits from the street are the real issue.

(fyi: corrected title spelling)

+1. My car is lower than most, and 99% of the speed bumps I've encountered haven't been an issue, or anything I have to slow below the recommended speed to take without scraping.

Like Randy says, take driveways/entrances/exits at angles, sometimes severe angles and you'll be fine. Oh, and one mistake I've seen people make...remember, hitting the brake transfers weight forward, lowering the nose. Slow before you've reached the apex or base. A little throttle then helps lift the nose.

In what part of the world are you located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i am located in Georgia. i am very excited to get this bad boy, this is the car i have been waiting on for almost a year now.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Thanks guys, i am located in Georgia. i am very excited to get this bad boy, this is the car i have been waiting on for almost a year now.
Cool, congrats! You shouldn't have too many extreme weather issues then. Not sure what the speed bumps look like over there, but I haven't heard of specific issues. If this is your first mid-engine car, try and attend some auto-x's, or take some courses to get used to the dynamics. Think twice before valeting or parallel parking on the street, as valet's may not necessarily be hip to the clearance issue (some are) and many drivers think it's OK to "tap" when they park. Not good for fragile clams. I do parallel park, but I try to find a front meter or one with red zone in front. Depending on your height, consider removing the sun visors if they obstruct your view of traffic lights. They simply slide off with a bit of force. There are other tips - just keep looking around here and enjoy!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Entrances will be your biggest problem in GA. That first scrape is painful, but it's going to happen eventually.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Take all slow speed bumps, dips and driveways at an angle and you will generally be fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Congrats - I am a new owner too, and the entry to my neighborhood is gated with speed bumps, and I never have an issue. But like all the others say, watch out for entrances and exits - especially those with the drainiage lip - those can cause some problems - Best of luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
138 Posts
When it comes to speed bumps, it's a combination of ground clearance and the length of the wheelbase. Since the Elise has a short wheelbase, I haven't had problems here in Georgia except for my one and only scrape leaving a parking lot entering a city street two blocks from my house!

·
Registered
33 Posts
parallel parking

Read the sticky thread I posted so I don't feel compelled to retype it all.

But always feel VERY easy about just saying SCREW IT and not taking an entranceway. Every time I scraped, it was when I said "I don't know... I think it will be ok." Just find another way, or another gas station.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221/official-one-only-can-lotus-used-daily-driver-thread-60032/
I'm not sure I buy the parallel parking arguement, as whenever I parallel next to a porsche or something like that all I can think is "oh my, don't tap the porsche! don't tap the porsche!" and also I don't know anyone with an S2000 or Miata who has had this problem. At the same time, I've never even ridden in an Elise or know anyone who owns one, but I see them paralleled often enough. Is the Elise really much smaller than a Miata or S2000? Do those clamshells just shatter like a faberge egg upon light contact?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
786 Posts
Take a ride or drive an Elise, and you'll find out.

1. The car has no bumper (federal exemption), at least for my model year anyway.
2. Any medium sized pick-up or SUV cannot see an Elise in the rear view mirror. I cannot count the number Elises that have had their front clams punched out by a trailer hitch backing into it.
3. That Porsche that was parked in front of you? It has now been replaced by an Escalade while you were away. The risk of a $15,000 clam becomes an expensive lesson.

Personally, I have only parallel parked twice and both times I didn't have a choice in the matter. I took great pains to find the first parking stall at the very head of the block so that no one could park in front of me.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
driveway

i wonder about my driveway - i usually back into it and then into my garage with the Miata

i find out about the Elise soon... so 'm getting excited.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well, just as I've been adjusting my suspension height (lower, of course)... my town decided to repave all the streets in the neighborhood... of course, since there are concrete drainage culverts along the sides of the road, they're not paving those... so now i can't leave my own driveway without scraping my splitter, and I can only make a right turn on to my street on the way back.

:wallbang:

I keep on seeing the ESPN commercial with Jimmy Johnson jackhammering the speed bumps in the parking lot... I'm thinking of taking a grinding wheel to the pavement in front of my driveway...

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you take it slow, you won't hit anything unless it is a seriously steep driveway.
@apk919: do it! grind it down...just don't tell the hoe.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
^ I had to lay some cement at the end of the driveway to make it Elise ready.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I may need to do that... small price to pay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts