The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from my 2006 Elise buddy's house, and after looking into his car, I saw that you guys run the stock rubber shifter cable bushings for the transmission that we run on the Toyotas. I have had these for a long time now, but I have yet to install them. Every time I try, the rubber bushings seem to be too tough to get out, and the deeper one seems to be too risky to get to if I was to drop anything. One day, I'll get around to it, and when I put more muscle towards gettin the rubber bushing out. Anyway, lots of newcelica.org people says it cleans up shifting a lot! Check it out on their site. It's available for our C60 series transmissions:

Speed - Source - Design. Fabricate. Produce. Install. Maintain.

It's pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
thanks, you should talk your Elise buddy into trying this out.
personally I would make it out polyurethane with a metal sleeve, or make the entire bushing from delrin... (I'm guessing the rubber gives it some degrees of freedom to prevent bind) but it seems like it work fine for the Celica guys.:shrug:

I don't know why people are such dicks to you, it seems like you are just enthusiastic about the marque. Its not like you are trying to sell anything.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno about the 05's, but I just looked under my hood, and the rubber bushings on his transmission and mine are pretty much identical, and we're both DBW. His might be smaller since I saw it last night, but maybe it's just my imagination. I honestly doubt it. The Lotus makes EVERYTHING in it look small :p .

The long throw in his car compared to my TWM short shifter, the shortest shortshifter for the Celica GTS, felt like my stock shifter all over again. It felt like I was pulling a lever for a damn tractor. With this, at least it can clean shifting up a bit, and when combined with the ronin motor mount insert mod, it will make the clunky Toyota shift feel more like a Honda. That's at least the impressions I'm getting from these sorts of tiny mods. My friend got the polyurethane motor mount inserts for his Celica GTS that were meant for the Matrix XRS (same motor mounts), and his car shifts were almost as good as a Honda's smooth gearbox when compared to the stock setup. I already got shifter base bushings in my car. I can't wait to get these shifter cable bushings in, Energy Suspension polyurethane motor mounts, and Redline MT-90 in my tranny when I do transmission work. It's going to shift like a beauty.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Err...I don't think this mod goes to where that picture has been taken. I currently don't have time to take a pic and upload it, but asap, I'll take a pic of where I'm talking about in my GTS, and I'll take a pic of my friend's engine bay the next time. I'm 90% sure these are the same black rubber bushings that can be replaced by these brass bushings.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got some free time, and can answer your question:

I took this pic while the car was in neutral. Those black bushings is what's replaced by the brass bushings. I'm 99% sure they're the same bushings, of the same size. I don't see why Lotus vehicles wouldn't get the stock Toyota rubber bushings, and something else. I saw the same black plastic bushings in my buddy's car.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You need to go back and look at your friend's car more carefully. We don't have the Toyota bushings with the rubber insert. We have the ones that I posted the picture of, therefore, that bushing kit will not work on the Lotus.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm...next time I'll bring my camera and take a snapshot of his tranny...I poked the same rubber bushing in his tranny and it was black and made out of the same material as mine...

But as I said, it may have been a little smaller than what Toyotas have, so it could be a different unit, but I don't see why Lotus would do such a thing when Toyota already finished engineering these motors and trannies. I'll even go as far as measuring them the next time I meet up with my friend. Hopefully, it will be soon. It depends on when we're both free.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hmmm...next time I'll bring my camera and take a snapshot of his tranny...I poked the same rubber bushing in his tranny and it was black and made out of the same material as mine...
Oh yeah? Here's a pic of the shift cable ends from that 2006 that's for sale without the engine. Somebody must have taken the Lotus ones off your "buddy's" car and installed Toyota ones. rotfl

I think scottyb's quote in your signature is spot on.

Attachments

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Finally got some free time, and can answer your question:

I took this pic while the car was in neutral. Those black bushings is what's replaced by the brass bushings. I'm 99% sure they're the same bushings, of the same size. I don't see why Lotus vehicles wouldn't get the stock Toyota rubber bushings, and something else. I saw the same black plastic bushings in my buddy's car.
LOL those look nothing alike dude!!!

The Toyota rubber bushings are pressed in the metal hemispherical end of the shift cable and get installed over the shift linkage. The Lotus ones are already metal and have the little spacer bushing underneath them.

I guess FWIW I've used the Speedsource bushings on my old MR2 turbo and they worked great.

According to the pictures other LT members have posted they will NOT work on the 05-08 Lotus cars.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
125 Posts
I installed these brass bushings on my MR Spyder and they produced wonderful snick-snack shifting. As discussed above, however, they Lotus cable ends are different. The Lotus cables already have metal-to-metal contact, so you don't need brass bushings to get the rubber dough out of the shift.

If you want to improve shift precision, get a Letsla kit. Even with this kit, however, my Elise does not shift as precisely as my Spyder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts