The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally scraped together enough courage to cut down my Sector 111 Polycarbonate windscreen. I had planned to do it all along but could never decide at what level to make the cut.
After seeing how Neil did his(long ago) I decided to go with a similar size cut(about 2-3" high)
So far I have made two cuts much higher to figure out what blade to use, etc. I do need to use a guide and haven't figured out how to make a compound curved guide yet. If you know how to accomplish this please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I want to see what you can actually do in that thing.

Bring it out for the Lotus Challenge Series. There is a guy, MikeP from SF that brings is car down. You should come out....probably be in the ultra class.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to see what you can actually do in that thing.

Bring it out for the Lotus Challenge Series. There is a guy, MikeP from SF that brings is car down. You should come out....probably be in the ultra class.
I've been doing track events for about 15 years but I sort of have a mental block going on right now. I just want the car to be somewhat done before I go out and see what it will do. I guess I need to realize that it will probably never be done and just get back out there and have some fun with it.:panic::wallbang:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Preparing that car looks almost as fun as driving it!

I love those slats you cut out in the front clam.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other thing is that with laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Fernley relativley close I probably will never go down to So. Cal. for track events. Maybe after I retire when ever that might be.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That looks really good. If it were me i wouldn't cut it down any further, unless that top edge is right at eye level.

I can't remember from previous threads. are you leaving those front areas open and empty, or are things out for cutting?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Preparing that car looks almost as fun as driving it!

I love those slats you cut out in the front clam.

I like the way it turned out as well. Casey thought I was insane to start cutting on the car but as I said to him "it's just a toy"..

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks really good. If it were me i wouldn't cut it down any further, unless that top edge is right at eye level.

I can't remember from previous threads. are you leaving those front areas open and empty, or are things out for cutting?
I have them out as I was about to have the ABS unit removed for good. I am looking for a lightweigh alternative to the stock covers. Aluminum, carbon? May actually make a set of carbon ones off the tops of the stockers myself.
I need to go down to TAP plastics and get some materials.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I love this car. One option for cutting the windshield is to sandblast off the top, if you can tape it off and protect the rest you can do any shape. Works on glass anyway. Checking out your car with the splitter, front wings and those fender slits you are going to be making a fair bit of front downforce, I would anticipate it may be a bit tail happy the first time out on the track. Now totally off base, the last comment about TAP plastics brought back some memories of "smoking devices" we constructed in high school with their assistance. Good luck with the car, one of my favorites.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love this car. One option for cutting the windshield is to sandblast off the top, if you can tape it off and protect the rest you can do any shape. Works on glass anyway. Checking out your car with the splitter, front wings and those fender slits you are going to be making a fair bit of front downforce, I would anticipate it may be a bit tail happy the first time out on the track. Now totally off base, the last comment about TAP plastics brought back some memories of "smoking devices" we constructed in high school with their assistance. Good luck with the car, one of my favorites.
I put a Gurney Lip on the back hoping to balance the car a tiny bit. Trying to do my best to make the car work w/o a rear wing.
Cutting down the windshield will seriously decrease the frontal downforce. I read the article on the Lotus EXTREME. As I recall in the article they said the car was affected by removing the windshield so much so that it would barely turn in until you got on the brakes hard.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks nice, does that mean you'll wear a helmet everywhere you go?
No, I actually will enjoy driving the car w/o a helmet(unless on track of course). Like the old days when you could ride a motorcycle w/o one. Wind in your hair(or lack of it in my case). I will be wearing safety glasses/goggles and a hat most of the time though. I'll be staying away from trucks(tire casings, ouch) and SUVs that are prone to throw rocks.
I'll probably start looking at new helmets again soon. And I guess it would be a good idea to wear a helmet on freeway trips.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two good ideas. Thanks! I probable will do the rotary laser this was my first thought. A hard edge guide would be nice though. Something that the blade would not be able to cut through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts