The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever done it?

I've done it twice in about a year.

Once, I'm driving down the interstate. A white crownvic passes me with an older gentlemen and lady. I see a couple large antennas and 2 hidden police lights. No side markings. Looked like a the cop had his wife were going somewhere. Set the cruise control to 90mph and followed them for 80 miles.

Second time, I'm driving in Texas down the highway. A city cop about 200 miles from his town passes me at 80 mph. He's smoking a cigarette. I decide to step on it and follow him. We're cruising down the highway at speeds of 90MPH for about 120 miles. It's a funny feeling when you're zipping down a double lane highway and all the cars move off to the right because they see your police motorcade in the rear view mirror. As I was entering town, I sped up beside him, waved and took the exit.

Before I get a bunch of flames, I've never had a ticket or accident in my life.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a cop who lives in my neighborhood, who is a county cop for another jurisdiction - 2 counties away. They bring their cruisers home from work, so in essence, his cruiser is also his daily commuter. This guy rather routinely speeds down the highway on his (regular Joe Citizen at the time in my book) daily commute! :eek: So, I was behind him the other day (I was in my Jag & not the Lotus) as he was merging onto the highway - and it was everything I had to stay with him! - But I did. Just wanted to see for once, and pace him to see what's up. 110MPH for at least 6-7 miles before I decided it wasn't worth it, and just dropped off.

I'm sure if "we" hit a radar trap - he'd just roll on through, as no doubt I'd be getting police baton(ed) to the back of the head, and probably locked up!

Friggin' ABOVE THE LAW cops. TADTS

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Reguarding the first one, sometimes people buy crown vics from police auctions that still have some features of police cars, so it may not have been an officer. Acutally I had a friend who lived next to a guy who had a white crown vic. He put a police spotlight on it and a couple of other small things. You can add a bunch of things legally w/o trying to "impersinate an officer", but then again some add things illegally

Sometimes the way to tell with the questionable ones is the gov't license plate (In CA, it says "CA EXEMPT"). This is also a good way to do the opposite: spot an undercover car (for some reason they are usually green/brown crown vic's it seems)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just FYI, an officer can pull you over for speeding even if he/she is speeding when you are following (i.e. just because the officer is doing it, doesn't mean you can). One of the very first episodes of the tv show COPS had this happen. An officer was cruising outside of Vegas (I believe) and a female driver was hanging with him. He kept speeding up about 10-15 mph every so often and she kept following him. He finally pulled off to the side; got behind her her car and pulled her over. She said "You were speeding" and he replied "You can't do what I do".

So, just a fair warning. I wouldn't following along behind an officer when he/she is going past the speed limit. Just let them go on up ahead and then resume your driving; but keep the car in sight just to make sure it doesn't park on the side of the road to setup shop.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Reguarding the first one, sometimes people buy crown vics from police auctions that still have some features of police cars, so it may not have been an officer.
This car is what is known as a 'Was Fuzz'

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Reguarding the first one, sometimes people buy crown vics from police auctions that still have some features of police cars, so it may not have been an officer. Acutally I had a friend who lived next to a guy who had a white crown vic. He put a police spotlight on it and a couple of other small things. You can add a bunch of things legally w/o trying to "impersinate an officer", but then again some add things illegally

Sometimes the way to tell with the questionable ones is the gov't license plate (In CA, it says "CA EXEMPT"). This is also a good way to do the opposite: spot an undercover car (for some reason they are usually green/brown crown vic's it seems)
I went to a wedding a few years ago, and at the time, I didn't have a car in NYC. I rented a car from Hertz, and they gave me a maroon Crown Vic. I was wearing a dark blue suit, and Ray Bans.

Everywhere I drove, people pulled over, or moved out of my way. It was hysterical.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I once passed a state highway patrol on a two lane road.

I once passed a state highway patrol on a two lane road. I needed to get some equipment to a shop a half hour away before it closed. She was going 35-45mph on a 55mph country road that only has a few passing points. I was pulled over for not getting over quick enough. Apparently your vehicle has to cross over and back before the line doubles again. I'd say I missed it by a 100 feet or so. I thought she should have pulled over the slow car that she was behind, about 1/4 mile up. He'd slow down, and she'd slow down, yet stay back about a 1/4mi. It was winter and visibility in that section was clearer without the brush. But I didn't argue, just explained my position about giving room between us. She asked, "How much space is needed?". I said 2 seconds worth. She said, "What if we were going faster?". :) Ah, and in that lies a ratio.

I can't remember the ticket, but I remember what she asked, and I remember trying to be polite. She got me on the technicality and I still made it to the shop before the guys had left. Passing a cop in a 55 zone and not going over the speed limit is nerve racking and damn near impossible to make the dotted line.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i've literally "tailed" MD state troopers with my m6....

first time everyone was going slow because of the trooper...so i pass him. Hes going 10 below the limit. He then sees me pass him and picks up speed and shoots through...so i get behind him and start tailing him. We probably hit speeds upto about 115mph...then the 495 and 95 splits and i took 95 and he took 495. We both slowed down looked at each other and i gave him a thumbs up which he returned back.

Second time was kinda the same except his exit was one before mine. So for about a mile i had to go 10 over the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I did this once by accident. I was on one of my favorite scenic roads and had slowed down because a deer crossed the highway. I was probably rolling at about 35 mph when this speed bike goes blowing by passing me on a double line. I did not even know he was within a mile of me until he went buzzing around me -- that's how fast he was giong. I just thought there goes another one of those idiots on a speed bike. I got a little further down the road and he was stuck behind a -- you got it -- Toyota Prius doing about 10 mph below the speed limit. The first clear spot and he buzzed by it -- again on a double yellow line. The Prius eventually turned off the road and I picked up speed a little and eventually caught up with the bike. (He drove fast in the straights but not so much so in the curves.) Anyway, I followed him for the next few miles and let's just say it was a spirited drive and leave it at that. I always kept a respectable distance from him. When we came up to a stop sign he pulled over next to the yellow line, so that I could pull up beside him. We chatted for awhile and I come to find out he is a local cop. Oh crap, I am thinking but he never says a word about how fast we were going and he tellls me I can go first on the next stretch of road. Another spirited drive followed by a goodbye at the end. End of story.

Moral of story: Always know who you are running with. You might not be as lucky as I was.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
i've literally "tailed" MD state troopers with my m6....

first time everyone was going slow because of the trooper...so i pass him. Hes going 10 below the limit. He then sees me pass him and picks up speed and shoots through...so i get behind him and start tailing him. We probably hit speeds upto about 115mph...then the 495 and 95 splits and i took 95 and he took 495. We both slowed down looked at each other and i gave him a thumbs up which he returned back.

Second time was kinda the same except his exit was one before mine. So for about a mile i had to go 10 over the posted speed limit.
Was with you 'til you said you were doing 115 on 495...I don't think it's possible to get above 15 mph on that road!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Was with you 'til you said you were doing 115 on 495...I don't think it's possible to get above 15 mph on that road!
rotfl I had someone tell me one time they drove an average of 110 mph down I-95 the whole way from DC to FL. The BS meter went off on that one, too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mahjik said:

"Just FYI, an officer can pull you over for speeding even if he/she is speeding when you are following (i.e. just because the officer is doing it, doesn't mean you can). One of the very first episodes of the tv show COPS had this happen. An officer was cruising outside of Vegas (I believe) and a female driver was hanging with him. He kept speeding up about 10-15 mph every so often and she kept following him. He finally pulled off to the side; got behind her her car and pulled her over. She said "You were speeding" and he replied "You can't do what I do"."

If a cop is speeding without his lights on, does anyone know if you can give him a ticket? Kinda like a citizens arrest? I hate it when cops think they are above the law!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Mahjik said:

"Just FYI, an officer can pull you over for speeding even if he/she is speeding when you are following (i.e. just because the officer is doing it, doesn't mean you can). One of the very first episodes of the tv show COPS had this happen. An officer was cruising outside of Vegas (I believe) and a female driver was hanging with him. He kept speeding up about 10-15 mph every so often and she kept following him. He finally pulled off to the side; got behind her her car and pulled her over. She said "You were speeding" and he replied "You can't do what I do"."

If a cop is speeding without his lights on, does anyone know if you can give him a ticket? Kinda like a citizens arrest? I hate it when cops think they are above the law!!!
Nope.

I asked one of our cops about this. The police station is 4 doors down from us. I asked why they didn't at least use the lights when they are going at warp speed on our road.

He said that for certain classes of calls, they try to avoid using the lights and sirens so that the bad guys don't know that they are coming and to make less of a disturance. I got the impression that he was trying to imply that the idea was to give the bad guy minimum prep time, especially if the bad guy was "interacting" with a resident.

No lights and speeding does not mean they are not responding to a call. Thus you would be intefering with an officer discharging their duties. Not good.

We all know that in general plenty of times there is no call, they are just speeding, but thankfully our local police tend not to indulge in that.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Last night I got behind a police car that was speeding on the interstate; he was even speeding through 55 mph work zones at probably around 80mph. No lights or sirens. I thought of this thread and backed off. Disgusting.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
that depends on what time of the day your on the beltway and what part.

its not that hard to do 115 on the beltway.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mahjik said:

Speeding tickets rarely have anything to do with the law. Its a revenue generator.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I asked why they didn't at least use the lights when they are going at warp speed on our road.

He said that for certain classes of calls, they try to avoid using the lights and sirens so that the bad guys don't know that they are coming and to make less of a disturbance.
Well...

According to the California Vehicle Code (I used to have a copy and studied it extensively when I lived there), an emergency vehicle (i.e. police car) must follow all normal rules of the road. The exception is when they are displaying emergency lights and/or have the siren on. Bottom line is that they can not legally exceed the speed limit unless they have lights and/or siren. But legally and practically are two different things.

I have been in traffic court once, when a defendant was making just such a point. The judge simply looked at the guy, said "Then how do you expect the officer to do his job?" and found the guy guilty.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts