The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So…I got a speeding ticket on Interstate 87 in the state of New York.:mad: I wasn’t actually in a “spirited” mode, was driving in the middle lane and had a fair amount of traffic ahead (in all lanes). A cop pulled me over for doing 86mph in a 65mph section. I actually thought I was going with the flow but the cop said otherwise (I guess the uniqueness of the Elise also caught his attention?).

This is my first ticket ever in the US (I’m a foreigner) and not very well versed in speeding tickets matters. I’m looking for some advice regarding the next steps. I have a clean record and would hate to see my insurance increase dramatically, etc. Should I plead “not guilty”, get a lawyer and got to court to try to avoid points being taken off my license? Are judges more lenient on first time violations and maybe I can get away with some mandatory driving training, etc.? Or just plead “guilty” and pay the fine hoping insurance company won’t be too harsh?

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
this is going to be very particular to the county you got it in (in my experience). Unless there's a new york traffic lawyer on the board, my advice would be to call a traffic attorney and get an expectation on how possible it is to get off with a non moving violation and how much it would cost.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If i'm not mistaken you can go to traffic school right?

·
Registered
342 Posts
NY state has this strange way of letting you bargain the ticket down to something stupid.
Especially if you have a clean record.
Get a traffic attorney, pay them several hundred bucks and a month or two later, they have you pleading guilty to a parking ticket.
No points, no insurance points, no DMV issues... Wonderful.
Good luck
Ps in many cases you don't ever need to go to court !

·
Registered
285 Posts
You probably don't need a lawyer. I've had....a few... tickets in NY, for higher speeds than you were caught for. Just mail the ticket in with the "not guilty" section filled out. You will get a letter back in the mail with a court date. Since it's your first ticket ever, it will most likely be dropped down to parking ticket violations, with NO POINTS on your license. Sometimes they will make you go to a 5 hour driving course, which actually lowers your insurance by 10%. Because of this, I still don't have any points on my license, and my insurance has never gone up. Good luck!

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I second the school? AFAIK NY allows driving school. for example.
Traffic School Online Defensive Driving - Ticket Dismissal and Insurance Reduction Courses
All I do is copy all the text for each lesson and make sure to click the buttons and watch for the pop ups "are you there". Then at the end for the test I just search though all the text to find the answers. you need to pay the fine but you get 0 points ;)
Thanks! In terms of sequencing should I then go to court, plead not guilty and try to negotiate in order to get no points and a traffic course?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks! In terms of sequencing should I then go to court, plead not guilty and try to negotiate in order to get no points and a traffic course?
From what I understand, I would hold off on the course until AFTER you go to court. For example, if you are given points, the course will only "remove" some of those points if it is taken after the points are posted on your record.

In addition, I used this course. With the coupon code I found on the internet, it was less than $25. I had it running in the background at work and completed it in half a day.

Defensive Driving | Defensive Driving Course - By Improv - Official Site

They are approved by NYS (and can be found on DMV's website). Regardless of whether you are given points or not, I highly recommend that you take this course for the 10% discount on insurance.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Right, the course doesn't come into play until after all else is said and done and you've been found guilty.

You can try to negotiate with the prosecutor, you can take it to trial yourself. I would call Matisyahu Wolfberg.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ya dont need a lawyer for this. They'll offer you a plea to a 110-A which is a "failure to obey a traffic control device" which is not a big deal. Unless you have several speeds recently or other outstanding issues, the DA will offer this. They dont wanna screw around with you and they only want your cash.

Its no points but you'll get a fee of around $80 bucks and then a surcharge(read a fock you tax) of another $80 to $85 bucks.

So, $160 or so and you are off the hook. The Insurance companies dont mind these kinds of tickets. No lawyer needed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
dont be cheap. Get an atty. They ALWAYS give a better deal to someone who shows with an atty. Typiclaly w/o an atty. they will lower it to a lesser speed, w/ an atty. they will drop it to a non speed.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
dont be cheap. Get an atty. They ALWAYS give a better deal to someone who shows with an atty. Typiclaly w/o an atty. they will lower it to a lesser speed, w/ an atty. they will drop it to a non speed.
That hasnt been my experience in NY. Lawyers are for DWIs and major violations, not for speeding and all that crap. When the attorney fees far outweigh the ticket cost, whats the point, especially if the points arent a real concern?

The dude will get offered an 1110-A. He should take it. ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
None of the dollar amounts count except the increase in insurance cost or increased likelihood you will be dropped and/or not picked up by a new insurer. With that in mind, I go full bore, which means attorney and a trial if need be. Even if it happened out of state, say, in Idaho, or Finland. It is not 100% certain he will be offered a 1110-A, especially since we don't know the full facts of his case.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Start right off by pleading not guilty. Often, the arresting officer won't bother, and/or be able to show up in court to testify against you. The case will then be dismissed upon your request.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts