The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to thread jack the radar bracket thread but I was just curious.

How many tickets do we actually get? I'm constantly getting asked by randoms how many tickets I've gotten. I've never even been pulled over in the Elise, let alone gotten a ticket and I'm a chronic speeder. Are we actually ticket magnets or is that just a baseless slander perpetuated upon us good LTers?

I have only gotten one ticket in my life and it wasn't it my Elise! It was in a Chevy Cruze, he should have given me an award for finding a way to go faster than the speed limit in that car! I think 5 cops came zooming with lights on in the span of 15 mins to write me a ticket. In rural Texas, the most exciting thing for miles is a baseline car going down a steep hill.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
I haven’t received a ticket in the Exige yet. My last ticket was for not wearing a seatbelt about 12 years ago and a speeding ticket a couple years before that on an almost empty Wyoming highway. I hate 55mph speed limits on interstates around here, but I still try not to pass everyone. I also understand this car receives everyone’s attention and I try to drive under the threshold for tickets because I’ll be the one pulled over.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
520 Posts
Drive through League City or Webster (that's in Texas for you non-Texans) for a while and tell us how many tickets you have. You can just put your potato on the dash at lunch time and the cops will microwave it for you.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I got pulled over once in the elise because of the fog. I desperately wanted to close the gap to the next car in front and acclerated 10 MPH faster than the speed limit as a cop came down the hill the same time.

he let me off with a warning, so no tickets yet.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Drive through League City or Webster (that's in Texas for you non-Texans) for a while and tell us how many tickets you have. You can just put your potato on the dash at lunch time and the cops will microwave it for you.
So damn funny!!!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Nearly 5 years of daily driving my Elise. Over 100,000 km now.

I've never been pulled over for speeding. But I always drive with the flow of traffic.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I got a ticket in my Elise the first week of ownership. Got stung in a speed trap coming out of Carbon Canyon. At least I got it on my GoPro.

Now I use a cordless radar detector...saved me a couple times.

I've gotten lucky a few times including this one!

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
If anyone knows me ... or my car ... :facepalm

- z

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
rotfl that's how many you've gotten? You got to pick your spots better. :p

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
rotfl that's how many you've gotten? You got to pick your spots better. :p
is that bad? :confused:

... I put over 100,000 miles on my car ... Driving it like I stole it ... I thought I was doing pretty good!! :coolnana:

·
Registered
686 Posts
If anyone knows me ... or my car ... :facepalm

- z
Thats good fun :p I may have to copy you.. That would put me at 1 so far.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I've had several tickets. I've also had several warnings. I haven't had a ticket in a few years though. Been lucky or getting better spotting them ahead of time and using my radar detector.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i had one. One is enough. Pricey up here.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
in my lotus... no tickets, never pulled over, no radar detector. waved at many times though

the only time I've even talked to a cop was when my Elise was parked in front of my parents driveway & they pulled over to chat about it

unfortunately for many people in my area, I feel there is a grace given to owners of sporty looking cars (i have never seen anything but minivans & sh!tboxes getting tickets on the side of the roads here)... & I've been pulled over so many times in my previous beaters/low budget daily's (for silly minor stuff like no front plate, tint, lights, exhuast, ect)... but i doubt ill ever randomly get yanked in my Elise as long as i'm not driving crazy.

ill take that perk though!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I have gotten 1 ticket in my Exige... I was on a road rally, and following a fast-moving Audi S5... cop pulled us both over, but let the 2 attractive ladies in the Audi off with a warning, while slapping me with a full-price ticket. :facepalm

I've gotten a lot of attention from cops in the car, but I think I pick my spots better now as I have gotten older. :D

-M

·
Registered
283 Posts
None with the Lotus yet.

Had a bunch with the motorcycle. Best one for being too noisy in a tunnel, which cost me 154$.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
So far, knock on wood, I have been pulled over four times in the lotus:

1st time: First two weeks I owned the car, had the speedo freak out on me coming down a small hill. So I kept my foot where it was (I was doing the legal speed), but the downhill caused the car to speed up...he clocked me at doing 80 in a 55mph. I explained to him what happened, and he looked at my speedo...at a dead stop I was doing 93mph at 6k rpms....so no ticket. VERY firm warning.

2nd time: Cop was a complete Jerk and my wife almost let him have it - no ticket. (She is a sweetheart by the way, super NON-confrontational...shows you how rude the cop was.)

3rd time: No Front plate...county was super nice, checked out the car, let me off with a warning, and said he wouldn't put one on either. :)

4th time: Just got the car S/C, and took a friend for a "short" joy ride. State patrol pulled me over shortly there after, no radar, just heard the exhaust system and KNEW I was speeding. We chit chatted a bit, offered to let him drive it...he thought about it, and then let me off with a warning as well.

My V1 has saved my neck a few times...but sadly I got my first two tickets in the last 6 years in my mother-in-laws BMW 325xi and my recent one in my wife's VW Passat TDI Wagon...go fig. :shrug:

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,778 Posts
in my lotus... no tickets, never pulled over, no radar detector. waved at many times though

the only time I've even talked to a cop was when my Elise was parked in front of my parents driveway & they pulled over to chat about it

unfortunately for many people in my area, I feel there is a grace given to owners of sporty looking cars (i have never seen anything but minivans & sh!tboxes getting tickets on the side of the roads here)... & I've been pulled over so many times in my previous beaters/low budget daily's (for silly minor stuff like no front plate, tint, lights, exhuast, ect)... but i doubt ill ever randomly get yanked in my Elise as long as i'm not driving crazy.

ill take that perk though!
Agreed! Can't say I'm complaining! I have heard a theory that cops won't pull over nice cars because the owners more likely have the resources to fight the tickets.

No idea if it is true, but I have had no issues with the Exige which is pretty remarkable with my driving style (no front plates, loud exhaust, etc). Only attention I got from a cop was in Chicago where the cop pulled alongside rolled down his window, asked me what it was, I then told him it was an Exige. He then said, "nice car!... Drive safe!". Then he took off! :clap:

Now I did have that backfire on me though... Back home (Central WI: AKA boondocks) I was driving my Saab 9-3 and got pulled over for no front plate. The state trooper kept asking me if it was my car. I think he didn't expect to see a young guy driving a nicer car (especially up there) so it HAD to be stolen. After like 30 min of telling him that the car was indeed mine he eventually let me go with a warning...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Agreed! Can't say I'm complaining! I have heard a theory that cops won't pull over nice cars because the owners more likely have the resources to fight the tickets.
that's a good point... sure seems that way in our area with my experiences though.

& as long as were talking about the topic of resources to fight tickets... I really learned the hard way when younger, that not fighting tickets is far more costly than paying a lawyer to get the point dropped.

so after my first couple tickets I learned to lawyer up & fight every citation just to get the points dropped (since the DA's aren't reliable enough for that). its crazy how much paying more up front can save you from insurance premiums hiking over the long run. I'd estimate I lost well over 4 grand just in my early 20's on rising insurance rates by not fighting the points on my traffic violations

dumb 18-22 year old me will never make that mistake again rotfl

1 - 20 of 57 Posts