The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Saturday I was out on a photoshoot and my car wouldn't start. The start button felt a little weird, so I took it out and the back had come off. I replaced the back, taped it up, and the car started right up.

However, this morning I go out to take a drive, and the car starts fine, but the alarm light is steadily blinking (even when driving), and the speedo and tack don't move. In fact, none of the lights or anything else work on the cluster, just the alarm/rev light.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
OK, Saturday I was out on a photoshoot and my car wouldn't start. The start button felt a little weird, so I took it out and the back had come off. I replaced the back, taped it up, and the car started right up.

However, this morning I go out to take a drive, and the car starts fine, but the alarm light is steadily blinking (even when driving), and the speedo and tack don't move. In fact, none of the lights or anything else work on the cluster, just the alarm/rev light.

Any ideas?
Simplest things first, disconnect the battery for a few moments.
Michael

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the help Sir Lotus!

I found a fuse in the front that was out. It's #16, SIDE LAMP REAR FOG, a #10 fuse. Problem is, as soon as I replaced it, it popped again! I must have something hooked up wrong? But I'm not sure what, I didn't mess with anything except the start button!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a pic of my start button access panel open.

The big circle is where the button came apart, I put it back together, and put a piece of black electrical tape on it until I can get my new one.

The small circle is a little black wire connected to my headlight button that was off when I opened the access panel. I could have this wire on backwards, or it could not need to be on at all, that part I don't know.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A clearer shot of the back of the start button with the tape on it. I don't think this can go on but one way, I know the button can only plug in one way, but I guess I'll take it apart to see if it can go on a different way. Maybe that's what's blowing the fuse?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think Lotus secretly went back to Lucas.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Somewhere!
Lol.
I had to chase a bunch of wires down before I found the bare wire. I had my car going into limp mode, but my dash was fine.
I wish I had a better answer for you.

Sorry.
Since this happened at the very same time that the start button back failed, I think it has to be related.

You know how, if no one told you to wait for the fuel pump to prime before pushing the button, you'd push it and nothing would happen, then all of a sudden it'd work? That's what it was like, 2 or 3 times, only I knew when to push the button, and there was still a 1-second delay. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but on the 4th start nothing happened. Luckily I knew the start button should have a slight catch in it, which was no longer present.

Anyway, in that moment, or when I took the little access panel off, something got twisted around, I just have to figure out what it is! Checking all the wires, nothing looks bare.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I also might have caused this problem trying to jump the car. Before I knew it was the start button, I hooked up some jumper cables and tried to start the car a few times with them on. Any ideas on what that could have damaged?

Secondly, the wires in the start-button area were so bad, I had to clean them up. Someone had hard-wired a radar detector into the harness, and whatever lotus covered the wires from when it came from the factory was falling apart in sticky good.

Cleaned.

Problem is...

Both the Head-lamp, and Side-lamp buttons have blue/black-green/red wires coming from them. However, their connectors on the wiring harness side have different colored wires. One has yellow/black/blue-white, and the other has red/black/red-green. I forgot which is which after cleaning everything up. Could you tell me which goes to which?

I think the yellow/black/blue-white is for the Head-lamp, is that correct?

These are the connections I'm talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts