The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 S240 with BOE torque 300 tune.
Battery took a crap and the speedo needle went to max speed, changed out the battery and it has stayed there, ran the car for a few minutes and nothing. When the car could not start the needle did go all over the place. any suggestions ?

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Try resetting the cluster. The following instructions work for me but you can also search the forum for cluster reset.

Reset Instrument Cluster
1. Open driver door
2. Hold the button on the right side of the steering column for 3 seconds
3. Put the key in and turn quickly to 2nd position
4. Keep holding the button until reset completes (should show BIOS)

Good luck and report back if it works.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/how-reset-speedo-tach-82805/

·
Registered
391 Posts
You want a working speedo.

Just for fun...go look it up > Google up > 1967 MGB-GT Special vintage racer for sale - look for #60 at Bring a Trailer

Years before it went up North [Thank you WireWheel.com] and was still street legal.
The factory Speedo pegged at 120. Years ago out on the Florida Turnpike I let a guy with a fuzz-buster doing about 100 get a very long lead on me to where he was a dot on the horizon. Then I reeled him in. My highly modified 1967 MGB-GT Special well past 120 suddenly broke its mechanical feed. When it happened the needle sprang back and forth from pegged to zero and back to pegged a couple of times with a lot of noise and then of course just stayed at zero. I never fixed it...….which eventually saved me a ticket.

In top gear with the overdrive on at 2850 RPM the car had a nice harmonic......but I had no idea of my speed on an Expressway with a 55 speed limit. One night just cruising for miles at 2850 I looked over to my right and back and found a Florida Trooper in my blind spot. When he saw me see him he hit his lights and pulled me over. His story was that I was driving him nuts. He explained he gives people 9 over not 10......and that I'd been doing exactly 64 MPH for miles and he was just waiting for me to go 65 and then he was going to write me up. We both shared the good laugh when I told him I was driving by the Tach and then we went on our ways......and no ticket. The car at that time had a 3.7 ring and pinion [vs. stock 3.9] and the overdrive was something like another 17% gain. It got changed to 4.33 R/P later for vintage racing. The car is possibly the only 1967 in the USA that had its Salsbury rear axle assembly changed out for a regular MGB banjo rear axle....which allowed for many combinations of R/P ratios. The 4.88 was great for autocross which helped win a Florida State Championship. Hey, you get old and all you've got left are the bragging rights.

So why do you need a working speedo ??

·
Premium Member
11,845 Posts
Good story.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the above suggestions of resetting the instruments so far I got nothing. I even tried to factory reset method of removing the fuse for the airbag still nothing I will try tomorrow by disconnecting the battery the new battery for a few seconds and see if that makes a difference . Not sure if this helps but I did not notice that neither the speedo or the tack moved at all drink any other procedures .

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Well thanks for the above suggestions of resetting the instruments so far I got nothing. I even tried to factory reset method of removing the fuse for the airbag still nothing I will try tomorrow by disconnecting the battery the new battery for a few seconds and see if that makes a difference . Not sure if this helps but I did not notice that neither the speedo or the tack moved at all drink any other procedures .
Pull the negative battery terminal and step on the brake pedal for 5 seconds. Reconnect and check.

If you still have the issue, with the driver's door open, turn the ignition on. Turn the ignition off. Press and hold the trip meter reset button. Turn the ignition on. Wait about 5 seconds and turn the ignition off. Release the trip meter reset button. Turn the ignition on. The service light should come on and then go off after 4 seconds. Good luck.

San

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks San, I will try tomorrow.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi San, thanks for the suggestion , gave it a few tries and the speedo is still in its original position.it has been fine since new, puzzled that a dead battery would have this effect long term.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the car sat for a couple of weeks with the new battery installed. Took a look at the dash and the speedo was back to zero, took it for a drive and now it’s working as if it didn’t happen. Cannot explain but happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts