The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Elise with a weird instrument cluster. Everything works fine, then hit a bump and the tach and speedometer go to zero. Everything else continues working. Hit another bump or tap on the dash and the tach/speedo return for a while.

The digital display never skips a beat. Engine temp, odometer, etc, all continue working.

Obviously something loose but before I tear into it, is there a common point of failure for this?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
it's sort of a known issue that can happen (more-so with earlier model years it seems)...

are you 100% sure when the tach/speedo cutout that the Odo doesn't stay at the last reading & your gas/temp meter doesn't gradually drop? because that seemed to be the more common occurrence when the gauges stop working...

either way, check the white OBD plug on the back of the cluster to make sure its secure (plenty of threads exist here on how to remove the dash/cluster)... dealers used to replace the cluster under warranty, but quite a few owners over time ended up finding out that the OBD plug was just loosening up enough to break a connection to the cluster & wasn't the cluster itself failing

try securing the harness in question to the back of the cluster with some tape temporarily to see if it helps stop the cutouts... if so, find a more permanent way to secure the plug to the back of the cluster & you should be set for the long run

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the exact problem with mine and if you tap the face of the cluster it jumps to the speed you going and or drops back down. If you look closer at your Gauge it doesn't actually record your mileage either, I noticed that after i drove 50 miles and noticed that I still have the same miles when I left, so i haven't driven it much, Til I get it fixed. But I was also told to check behind the cluster and check the plug and connecting pins. Still waiting to do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts