The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the Groups thinking on this. The odometer part of my speedometer stopped working yesterday and I was thinking that it might be time to up grade to a GPS speedometer. The cost to rebuild is about the same as a new GPS:scratchhead:

·
Super Moderator
4,037 Posts
I would like the Groups thinking on this. The odometer part of my speedometer stopped working yesterday and I was thinking that it might be time to up grade to a GPS speedometer. The cost to rebuild is about the same as a new GPS:scratchhead:
I had my 88 VDO speedometer fixed (about $200) back in 2013. I too investigated a GPS option.

Repairing the speedometer:

Pro - OEM look
Con - unknown repair durability, needle still bounces like crazy at 1-30 MPH, but speed is correct when it settles down

GPS Speedo:
Pro: No worries about speed change (larger tires), more accuracy (?)
Con: Slight delay possible, unable to find an OEM-similar looking speedo

If you're OK with sticking a GPS digital display on top of your OEM speedo, that will certainly be functional and more reliable, but it would look odd.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I am biased in that I love GPS!
Its accurate, it does not care about tire size.

If you go GPS, Document the millage (both old and new)! Do everything you can to leave an audit trail.
Update the millage here, as an example.

I know in the Porsche world, North Hollywood Speedometer and a great rep.
North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock Company. Serving your gauge needs since 1955. VDO, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Veigel, Veglia
no affiliation, not even sure they will work on a Lotus speedometer.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I haven't replaced an OEM speedometer, but I have added GPS speedometers to custom builds I have done. I have been very happy with them.

I also had custom gauges build several times. A company called Speedhut has a "You Design It" series where you can customize the gauges. I have even had them add a custom logo that I made up. They cleaned up the artwork and sent a proof for approval. Overall results were great! Perhaps they can make something very close to OEM. Might be worth a shot...

Gauges - Speedhut

·
Registered
667 Posts
You could go with a GPS HUD unit as well, meaning you could keep the stock look of the OEM speedo (albeit broken) and then see your speed on the windshield. This one's $90:

There are some other units that will give you RPMS and such too.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've had my esprit speedo apart to fix it....it's nothing that complex or involved. Toughest part is getting the rim released from the housing without causing any visible damage, but it's really quite easy. If you have some mechanical/DIY skills you can probably repair it yourself.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
I put a Speedhut in my Europa. Was able to configure it when ordering to nearly OEM look, right down to 'SMITHS' on the face. GREAT!

Most people would not know it was not OEM.

P

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
The speedometer is not all that complicated and can be made reliable. The biggest reason you should get the original speedometer system working correctly is to accurately track your mileage. Are you going to trust your GPS to accurately indicate your speed? Is that the story you will be telling the Officer?
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
576 Posts
Modern GPS systems are extremely accurate, more so than our mechanical speedos.

The only issue with a GPS system is that it requires a view to the sky, which is occasionally an issue in a tunnel, or under trees, or among very tall buildings.

I can get the speedo rebuilt locally for about $100, but they can break again.

For purposes of nostalgia or originality the mechanical speedo has some value, but clearly an electronic or GPS system is more accurate and reliable.

Randy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my esprit speedo apart to fix it....it's nothing that complex or involved. Toughest part is getting the rim released from the housing without causing any visible damage, but it's really quite easy. If you have some mechanical/DIY skills you can probably repair it yourself.
Hello Beerman, how does one remove the rim without damage? Certainly difficult. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
The earlier Lotus's had mechanical speedometers so as long as you don't change the tire size they should be pretty accurate. Speedometers are calibrated at 60 MPH which equals 1,000 RPM's (not of the motor but the cable driving the speedometer) and are supposed to be within 5% across the range with 60 MPH supposedly being exact. Done that way since it is the easiest to check over a measured mile. The later Esprits use an electronic speedometer that counts pulses from the ECU. I found mine to be off by a lot. Fortunately they can be calibrated. There is a simple procedure to get the speedometer into calibrate mode to change the calibration automatically or manually. You just need a measured mile to do it. Most major highways in the US have mile markers and the longer the measured course the more accurately you can set the speedometer. Typically if the speedometer is reading accurately the odometer will also be accurate but that can also be easily checked over a measured mile or 2 or 3. I am old fashioned, I still don't trust a satellite thousands of miles away. I may use it to cross-check but I like having a local way to see my speed.
David Teitelbaum

·
1991 Esprit SE
46 Posts
Fixed mine. Like someone said, the hardest part was to take out the outer, sealed ring. I did damage mine a little, so be very carefull if you really care about this.

You have to apply a small drop of locktite in the middle of the round magnet (right), and tap it back into its shaft. Then reassemble. Mine is accurate up to 50MPH, then loses accuracy after that. I like the HUD display available at amazon shown in a earlier post.

·
1991 Esprit SE
46 Posts
Heads up for people out of the USA.

The GPS HUD unit shown from amazon.com is only available to american customers. I finally found the same unit (with a different brand name and model name) as the one shown earlier in the thread. Wanted this one as it is inexpensive coupled with very good reviews from amazon.com

Ordered one yesterday, shipped the same day, with free International shipping. See below image for link

GPS Head Up Display LED Speedmeter KM H and MPH Speeding Warning Easy to Install | eBay

We also have a lot of lasers installed in the streets here, that shows your speed. Using that, I have come to the conclusion that on 5 out of 5 cars I have tested the speedometer VS GPS speed, the GPS was more accurate than the OEM speedometer. Not a scientific approach, but still... My 3 different Toyota showed too high indicated speed, my hyundai was nearly spot on, and the esprit is showing too low indicated speed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Speed Hut CPS installed - drops out briefly sometimes in clear skies but that is due to antenna location and I have yet to move it. Far more accurate than OEM. Did not fit completely flush into the dash though. Have to work on that a bit as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would just like to give an up date to my speedo problem. I had been keeping track of my milage with a Garmin and logging it on paper. Just the other day I was out for a drive and the odometer started working again. Now I just have to add 1500 miles to the odometer reading, so I can know when to do the oil and filter change. I will keep my eye on it for now , but I do like the SpeedHut GPS speedo idea. Thanks All DaveS4s

1 - 20 of 21 Posts