The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone know what sensor the ecu uses to determine the vehicles speed. Looking at the diagram at first I though it was the ABS wheel speed sensors but that doesn't appear to be the case. Currently I think I have whatever sensor it is unplugged and the tach now cuts out the second I go above 2500rpm. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm confused by your problem... if it's a tach problem the ECU get it's RPM information from the crank sensor, so speed sensors have nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Warranty?

The same thing happened to mine within the first year. The dealer replaced the whole instrument cluster. Problem solved.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The same thing happened to mine within the first year. The dealer replaced the whole instrument cluster. Problem solved.
Sadly no, outside of the ecu I'm not sure what it could be.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the spedo is fixed but I'm really stumped on the tach issue. :sad:

Basically anything over 3100rpms and the the gage drops to 0. Under 3100 it reads accurate after that nothing when i speed up it stays at zero and then when i slow down where the rpm comes back into that range it starts working again. If I'm understanding it correctly it has to be the ECU or the cluster, any help would be greatly appreciated.
:ST:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tach dies at RPM

I've had my '08 Exige (1500 mi.) do this twice. Didn't seem to relate to anything else I was doing. Turned the car off and restarted and the tach worked fine. Dealer hasn't found a bug yet.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Possibly, not generally known, is that beyond the factory 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, is the "Emissions" warranty.
If you are fortunate enough to have your car registered in either California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Oregon, Washington, Rhode Island, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Florida or Colorado, there is a CARB, 7 year/70,000mile warranty on amongst other things the Instrument Pack.
Cheers,
Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts