The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I was just reading about the car used for the production of Speedracer on my new issue of Road and Track. It was a "pretend" road test article, but still entertaining. I noticed after looking at a few pics that there were some very familiar design elements, and proportions taken from the Elise body. . .Look at the picture . . . the seaming of the body panels (behind the front wheels), the flaring out of the body from the cockpit (top view picture).

What made me more convinced is that the tester said the cockpit felt like being in an Elise. . . I haven't seen anything written about this. . . Am I the only one who notices this?

Here is the article online: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6466
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attachments

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
O.K. I was just reading about the car used for the production of Speedracer on my new issue of Road and Track. It was a "pretend" road test article, but still entertaining. I noticed after looking at a few pics that there were some very familiar design elements, and proportions taken from the Elise body. . .Look at the picture . . . the seaming of the body panels (behind the front wheels), the flaring out of the body from the cockpit (top view picture).

What made me more convinced is that the tester said the cockpit felt like being in an Elise. . . I haven't seen anything written about this. . . Am I the only one who notices this?

Here is the article online: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6466
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

This is the APRIL edition of Road and Track. This is their annual April Fool's article. Really. They do one every year.

Car is not real. Rather, the movie prop might be real, but the road test and article are just an April Fool's joke.

Anyway, the prop is a very close representation of the car in the cartoon, so the design elements predate the Elise by at least two decades. If anything, the Elise took design elements from the cartoon car.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
This is the APRIL edition of Road and Track. This is their annual April Fool's article. Really. They do one every year.

Car is not real. Rather, the movie prop might be real, but the road test and article are just an April Fool's joke.

Anyway, the prop is a very close representation of the car in the cartoon, so the design elements predate the Elise by at least two decades. If anything, the Elise took design elements from the cartoon car.
Actually it's usually a "real" road test, just tounge in cheek.

For instance, when the tested the Goodyear Blimp. Or the time they tested a Locomotive. Or even the comparison test between the Concord and the Queen Mary II. I remember the gasoline powered pogo stick - handling was precarious, but it had infinite head room. :)

I look forward to the April Fools test every year.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I"m thinking maybe the original poster, who was quite aware R&T was jokin, was suggesting perhaps the model was built upon the chassis of a Elise. (much like the submarine Elise).

I briefly searched online, but didn't see any info.
But I'm guessing closer to the release of the movie some trade mag will disclose what platform the car was built upon.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I figured it was a joke ad. . I mean the car does 0-60 in .6 seconds, and is 5 million dollars! But the car is real, and it is operable, and it was "interviewed" . . .I really think it was taken from an Elise body. . .

·
Registered
263 Posts
Actually, all of those images are likely just computer renders. And even brief read of the "review" lets you know it's all fake.

The shoutout to Polyphony Digital for the simulation driving experience seals the deal. Amazing what computers can do eh?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, all of those images are likely just computer renders. And even brief read of the "review" lets you know it's all fake.

The shoutout to Polyphony Digital for the simulation driving experience seals the deal. Amazing what computers can do eh?
Amazing indeed. . .

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

No they are real photos. It says that Warner Bros supplied the car and they also thanked Yokohama for supporting the photoshoot and the airport for renting the hanger

Magazines generally don't have the budget to have computer renderings made, when they run such images it is usually because the manufacturer supplied the images

Polyphony created a virtual simulation to create "performance data"

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Fun Trivia: The original Mach 5 was designed with the Le Mans-winning Ferrari Testa Rossa in mind as a model.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

It's a physically real car of a sorts
they had it on display at a press release for the movie.

just like previous batman movies and similar flicks, having a car like that to put on display is huge for publicity.
-and much more practical/affordable/realistic than trying to keep the car all-CG in the flick.

sometimes they even build them on a sports car chassis so they can actually seem even more real on film/in person.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I remember seeing a Mach 5 at the Petersen Museum in LA back in 2001. Supposedly driveable mock up based on a Corvette. I thought it looked great.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
since the Elise chassis is so versatile, i wont be surprised if they DID use an elise to make the car

versatile chassis
exotic looks
fiberglass
all makes for a great movie car

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I don't see any resemblance to the Elise unless I stand on my head and blink a lot. Looks like it is based on a early 80's Vette.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I remember seeing a Mach 5 at the Petersen Museum in LA back in 2001. Supposedly driveable mock up based on a Corvette. I thought it looked great.
I saw it there last April.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts