The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From Autblog

We've been debating whether or not this is a real photo or an expert rendering, but if it is a photoshopped image of a BMW M1 prototype, then it is very convincing. According to FreshTarmac.com, this photo was taken in a hangar in Spain. It shows a sleek two-door, probably mid-engined coupe with attributes of the new M3 incorporated into its design, especially the front fenders and hood. With BMW introducing the M1 Hommage Concept at the Concorso d'Eleganza at Villa d'Este last week, we hope this means that is already considering a production version. Come on BMW, build it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was looking at this yesterday. I think it's beautiful. The article says it hints at midengine but there's that bulge in the front hood.

·
Registered
70 Posts
from the original to this concept there aren't that many similarities if any.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think in order to make it a reality, they'd have to make it front-engined, based on what they have available. Still, it is slick. I like it much better than the Z8.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
That is why it's an homage (hommage).
The one pictured isn't the "Homage", that is a completely different car. This one is supposedly a new production car. But yeah - so what? The new Europa has litle to nothing to do with the original Europa either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't mean it to sound as if it was an outrage or anything. I was just stating the obvious.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
eh, the other rendering posted was awesome, and a nice homage.
This one has a Bangle front end. Blah.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The one pictured isn't the "Homage", that is a completely different car. This one is supposedly a new production car. But yeah - so what? The new Europa has litle to nothing to do with the original Europa either.
I understand that it's not the same car. However, it bears a striking resemblance. How many concepts end up making it to production without concessions made for corporate parts bins and affordability?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The white one is a design exercise. On the Autoblog there is a link to a site where the artist responsible is showing his progress. Believe it or not, there's a little BMW, Audi, Alfa Romeo and a bit of Ford in the final product.

Call it off, ask your BMW dealer for your deposit back :p

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slick! But is more like a front-engine bmw Jacob.

maybe this a new coupe 6 serie. I hate the current 6 CS look.
Hey Babak!
Where the hell have you been? We were worried about you.

I think you're right about the car. I was going off of what the article said. And if it were true, that there would be interest here since I'm assuming it would go up against the new Esprit.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't know if it was mentioned but that isn't real. It was a photo shop of a ford gt.

Edit: never mind just saw this post. sorry haha

The white one is a design exercise. On the Autoblog there is a link to a site where the artist responsible is showing his progress. Believe it or not, there's a little BMW, Audi, Alfa Romeo and a bit of Ford in the final product.

Call it off, ask your BMW dealer for your deposit back :p

·
Registered
750 Posts
That bulge in the hood is pretty far back. Even if the engine is more towards the front of the car it still can be considered mid-engine if the front of the engine is behind the front axel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Meh -- by the time they add the heated leather seats, iDrive, GPS satnav, DSC, etc, etc, etc. it'll probably be 3600 lbs.

Anyone wanna start a pool on how heavy it will be?

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
still not seeing the Ford in it... I never really believe any articles on concepts or "design exercises" after working for a manufacturer. To much wisper down the lane stuff goin on, esp. on forums.

·
Registered
539 Posts
This link might answer some questions about what's really going on with the M1 Homage project.

Bmw M1 Homage: the design

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
still not seeing the Ford in it... I never really believe any articles on concepts or "design exercises" after working for a manufacturer. To much wisper down the lane stuff goin on, esp. on forums.
The background was from a Ford GT promotional picture.

Some amateur designer decided to come up with a design for a new BMW M1, and professional designers do it for companies as well. I wouldn't know what else to call it. I don't understand your last sentence at all though.

BMW did the exact same thing a few months ago with the Mille Miglia Concept Coupe. It was an irregular design brief meant to flex BMW's design team to come up with a classic artisanship-inspired BMW with modern flame surfacing design language with no true intentions of producing it. I'd call that design exercise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts