The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the gumball 'issues' got me thinking I REALLY REALLY wanna do the route again - specifically, the Sunday leg that we got hosed out of.

I know everyone is super busy in the Summer and usually we come up with a 'hey lets do a drive' thread out of the blue.

I notice that many formal clubs (LotusCorps, Ferrari Club, etc) tend to have scheduled events.

What do you guys think of trying to find specific dates and scheduling them? I know it's aggressive, but I'm thinking one a month. That's 4 total for the summer season - one in June, July, Aug, Sept.

June is easy. The LotusCorp 'Losta Bitsa' drive (Rockford west) is 6/23.

What about scheduling a drive for one in July, one in Aug and one in Sept?

Overnites are overkill. We could just meet early like the Todd drives. Lots of options - Galena area (GREAT roads), back near New Glarus, towards Kettle Moraine in Wisc. Bad news is that most are a couple of hours to get to, but worth it.

Whattya think?

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I like it. If I can put it on my calendar and plan around it I'll make the drives. Otherwise there's always something else going on. I also like the one long day versus a two day thing where we have to do something with the dogs, etc. I'm also up for hitting those roads/area again. Maybe we can do the ferry thing then too - sounded kinda cool.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. If it's on the books, I can schedule around it and even line up sitters so that my wife can get a break as well (she doesn't dig doing this stuff).

The ferry is cool. I think we add it to the next route. Actually found a site in which the LotusCorps guys did it (pics of Esprits, Europas and Elans on it - it was before 2005 import).

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I was thinking, if we schedule one day drives, maybe we could schedule them for Saturday and have Sunday as the rainout day.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i would really like that idea! we can all plan around it... and make it work... one day drives its a bit easier and don't require that much planing.. i think :) lets try, and we can always have other spirited ones in-between. i need to find out about the lotuscorp one next month... swinglo are you going on that one?

oh and saturdays would be a big A++++ for me..... sunday is family day :)

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I'll pick a date, July 14th. I will be home for that.

D
Works for me. A "Second Saturday of the month" (other than June due to the Lotus Corp drive) schedule would miss Labor Day weekend. Actually, that would put a June event four weeks out and leave two till the LotusCorp drive, so that might work too.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
i dont mind 1 day or 2 day, but if we have to drive 3 hrs just to get to the route thats 6 hrs of driving just to get to and back from the route.
fwiw if we do 1 day routes maybe something closer to illinois? :)
2 day then wherever.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regarding the driving to the routes. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Gotta drive far to the lakes because that's where the fish are!

Seriously thought, I understand the drives to a route can suck, but that in an of itself can be fun. Yeah, it took us two hours to get to NG, but it was fun doing an 8 car caravan (but the drive home kinda sorta really sucked).

If we do one a month as I note (4 total), I saw we do two 'remote' and two nearby.

Let's come up with a list:

- Galena Area (GREAT roads - just like Madison Area) - Remote
- Todd's Drives - nearby
- Madison Area - remote (If we avoid going as far north as the Evertron, we are pretty close in and around New Glarus to Black Earth)
- Starved Rock - relatively nearby
- Holy Hill, WI - nearby/remote

If anyone has any other ideas of routes, lemme know. Best way to find them is just to google car spirited drives around IL/WI/IA and you'll come across car forums. That's how I found these roads.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I like the idea but would suggest that we also consider other, more impromptu stuff, too. I worry (selfishly) that if one or more of the dates don't work for me (I have a ton of stuff scheduled out pretty far that can't be moved), I'm out of luck.

So I would say definitely, go with scheduled events but don't lose nice weather opportunities to do others. In terms of driving to get to the drive, I'm hosed regardless of where they are--there's NOTHING good near where I live--so I'm cool with having to take a couple of hours to get there. To quote Warren Zevon, I'll sleep when I'm dead. :)

Is there a URL for the Lotus Corps drive on June 23? I might actually be able to go...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm up for more drives. Hell I just got a whiff of how fun it is, so I'm ready to go. I would love to find just a few others to take a Saturday drive somewhere and maybe ending up in Gibson City so we could go eat at the great German restaurant called the Bayern Stube. :nanner:

I live in Bloomington and would be willing to drive 1-2 hours to meet up. So msg me if you want to roll. I think EagleTime is the closest Elise to me.

John

So, the gumball 'issues' got me thinking I REALLY REALLY wanna do the route again - specifically, the Sunday leg that we got hosed out of.

I know everyone is super busy in the Summer and usually we come up with a 'hey lets do a drive' thread out of the blue.

I notice that many formal clubs (LotusCorps, Ferrari Club, etc) tend to have scheduled events.

What do you guys think of trying to find specific dates and scheduling them? I know it's aggressive, but I'm thinking one a month. That's 4 total for the summer season - one in June, July, Aug, Sept.

June is easy. The LotusCorp 'Losta Bitsa' drive (Rockford west) is 6/23.

What about scheduling a drive for one in July, one in Aug and one in Sept?

Overnites are overkill. We could just meet early like the Todd drives. Lots of options - Galena area (GREAT roads), back near New Glarus, towards Kettle Moraine in Wisc. Bad news is that most are a couple of hours to get to, but worth it.

Whattya think?

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
Regarding the driving to the routes. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Gotta drive far to the lakes because that's where the fish are!

Seriously thought, I understand the drives to a route can suck, but that in an of itself can be fun. Yeah, it took us two hours to get to NG, but it was fun doing an 8 car caravan (but the drive home kinda sorta really sucked).

If we do one a month as I note (4 total), I saw we do two 'remote' and two nearby.

Let's come up with a list:

- Galena Area (GREAT roads - just like Madison Area) - Remote
- Todd's Drives - nearby
- Madison Area - remote (If we avoid going as far north as the Evertron, we are pretty close in and around New Glarus to Black Earth)
- Starved Rock - relatively nearby
- Holy Hill, WI - nearby/remote

If anyone has any other ideas of routes, lemme know. Best way to find them is just to google car spirited drives around IL/WI/IA and you'll come across car forums. That's how I found these roads.
Yeah, i kinda caught on to that, but thanks.
Actually the point i was trying to make is that the 1 day drives obviously should be closer routes like todds, and save the further routes for 2 day trips for those who wish to partake.

also, nothing says you need an act of congress to go on a drive.
i encourage everyone to give a quick shout out when youre taking a drive and see who wants to meet. impromptu works also.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I'm up for more drives. Hell I just got a whiff of how fun it is, so I'm ready to go. I would love to find just a few others to take a Saturday drive somewhere and maybe ending up in Gibson City so we could go eat at the great German restaurant called the Bayern Stube. :nanner:

I live in Bloomington and would be willing to drive 1-2 hours to meet up. So msg me if you want to roll. I think EagleTime is the closest Elise to me.

John
we should drive to you, there are a lot of nice, open roads down your way.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Would anyone want to do a cruise through downtown Chicago? I think that'd be fun just to drive as a group down michigan avenue. Maybe we could hit up the beach for a bit. I know it's not a cool spirited drive with great roads... But I still think itd be fun to go sight seeing downtown.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris, I'm down for that.

We can start with a meet up in the Burbs, cruise down 55 or 88. Meet up/stop at Shedd and then work our way north on Mich Ave to Oak Street - get on Lake Shore northbound up to Hollywood and then double back. Good times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts