The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Having a problem with my 86 Esprit.
Aux relay functions fine, but the main relay doesn't appear to be functioning.
Does anyone know the location of Splice "D" to aid my troubleshooting?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,
Found the issue, contacts were corroded on the main ignition relay.
Cleaned them up, and all good now.
I hate these old fashioned relays , wish I could find some modern sealed solid state replacements.
Regards
Jeff

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,951 Posts
Jeff, were the corroded contacts on the inside contacts, or the outside connections? Inquiring minds want to know. ?

Those Lucas 60 amp relays are available for ~$15 USD on fleabay. I bet JAE has 'em too, they seem common.

I see that Albright in the UK has a 200 amp solid state version too for maybe 4X the money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff, were the corroded contacts on the inside contacts, or the outside connections? Inquiring minds want to know. ?

Those Lucas 60 amp relays are available for ~$15 USD on fleabay. I bet JAE has 'em too, they seem common.

I see that Albright in the UK has a 200 amp solid state version too for maybe 4X the money.
Hi Atwell,
Internal contacts were corroded, case is just a snap fit, so exposed to moisture.
Bosch has this:
Bosch Automotive 0332002168 Pins, 12 V, 75 A, Normal Open Power Relays
It is 75 Amp rated, and has the same form as the lucas, $30 on Amazon, I think will get them to replace the Aux, and ignition relays.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my electrical issues continue.
Discovered that the ignition switch was intermittent in the run position, also feels very vague going from ACC. to Ign.
Checked it with a meter, and it is defective.
So where to get a new one. Checked with JAE, and he only has the complete assembly for $650. The switch is marked as M74 2884, no manufacturer I.D.
Anyone know of a source?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
604 Posts
Can you dismantle it and clean it up?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
You can open it up and try to "clean" the contacts but that is only a very temporary fix to be done just to get you home kind of thing. The actual contact points in the relay are plated and once that wears off or gets "cleaned/filed" off, the points will burn up again quickly. The best fix is to replace the relay, preferably one with a higher current rating.
David Teitelbaum

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
751 Posts
Some solid state dc-dc relays, I haven't used these myself, some use them to drive PWM waste gate/ nitrous/water injection solenoids in the smaller amperage sizes. Not sure what the actual current throughput is in our application, or what these really handle versus the stated rating.

100 Amp;
60 Amp:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try using electronic spray cleaner on the ignition switch contacts. If a PO tried to lube the lock tumbler the fluid might have gotten on the contacts and gummed them up. Also, never spray WD40 or similar product into a lock, it will ultimately attract dirt and make the lock worse. You should only use a graphite based lube, easily purchased at any locksmith or good auto parts store.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys,
I am replacing the relays with Bosch 75 amp units, same form as the Lucas units. Opened the switch, and the contacts are quite worn, trying to find the correct replacement. If I can't find the switch, I will just wire in toggle switches.
Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the switch apart, cleaned, re-greased, etc. No joy, appears to just be worn, or very poor design, or both.
000_0713.JPG
000_0714.JPG
000_0715.JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New relays received, appear to me much more robust.
Ordered replacement ignition switch from SJ that they "think" will work. If it doesn't I am just going to make a small ignition panel with Acc, Ignition switch, and push button start switch.
What pisses me off is that all of the tons of new electrical/electronics I installed works perfectly, just the 30 year old stuff holding me up, oh well.
Regards
Jeff
000_0716[1].JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news, ordered the switch from R.D., fits, and works perfectly!! Night and day difference, nice positive detents from off, acc, ign, start. Only have to switch to spade connectors on the switch, as the old one was soldered.
Ray was awesome to work with, gave me dimensions, etc to make sure it would work.
Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
917 Posts
Glad it worked out. Happened to notice that picture looked very similar when I was looking at something else on the RD sight.....frankly surprised i remembered, I cant seem to remember anything any more :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts