The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

splitter creation about to begin

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Ravenred 
#1 ·
Career has kept hubby from beginning on my splitter/side skirting but the templates are done...now for fine tuning and to cut the lexan....here's pics so far of the splitter template mounted on my car. The blue tape is where my car ends....the template is wood, painted black so i can see how it will look and how far out i want it to stick out ....it's placed where i thought it looked good....he agreed.
thoughts? opinions?

he bought a few sets of the lexan, he'll be able to make a few sets of splitters/side skirts...this year.
he has taken everything into consideration when making this template (that happened to past creations of the splitter created by a fellow member here)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great but proper mounting will be the issue. Above 120mph, the original "protectors" would flex and explode into smithereenes. They looked great but...ask me how I know....

#3 ·
With the proper install (updates recommended by bobsyracer :bow:) I added larger washers and trim tape between the splitter and protector to keep air out.
Have had my car up to 140mph without issue.
before the updates I would feel the car shake from flexing of the protector at about 100mph.
Have had mine on for 2 years now without issue :up:

#4 ·
Hubby already knows about that prior issue..he has a different plan of attack and i am not concerned...i think he said something similar to what u just described on yours for install fix...side skirts look great too..i must get a pic to show..:)

#7 ·
reminds me of the front of my old Turbo - low and wacked a lot on curbs.

#9 ·
I'm interested in this. Two of my skid plates took one for the team 2 weeks ago when a car in front of me ran over some object on the highway,& sent it my way. I had just moved over behind him in the right lane because a semi was sand blasting everyone in the left. Other than losing the skid plates the only damage I suffered was a small tear in the starshield. :(

#10 ·
I also had the original splitter from Bobsy. I updated mine with the larger washers and sealed the back. It was still too strong and when at the track would REALLY wrench down on the weak mounting points. To do this properly it needs to be mounted way back on the frame, not just a lip addition me thinks.

#12 ·
Bingo Bobsy, The support is needed front to rear. I just never had that option to try as mine went boom!! Flexed down, probably touched and disintegrated! Looked great but....sorry I brought up an old issue, didn't mean to except for making sure a new design avoided any issues. Interesting that Plack had high speed issues also. The guy that did 140, I'd love to have seen video of what was really happening up there!

#13 ·
I am planning to fabricate a Carbon Fiber Splitter, that mounts to the 2 bolts that hold the factory plastic / rubber skid guards, in addition to the 10 screws under the front Clam.

The Splitter will step down about 1 inch from the Factory Clam's lip, and be parallel to the road surface, similar to the Corvette ZR1 - See https://www.google.com/search?q=201...zr1-to-pace-96th-indianapolis-500%2F;1600;800

The step in the part, the rigidity of the Carbon Fiber, plus the additional mounting to the frame bolts should eliminate any flexing.

#14 ·
Considering that Lotus Racing makes the side skirts from plywood, why not just stick with that? Additionally consider that Lotus mounts the side skirts, which have a much lower load, every 6-8 inches using dowels along the outer edge.

I would do the same with the splitter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.