The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my clam off right now due to a radiator problem. I'm wondering is it easier to install a splitter with clam off vs on?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it makes no difference. its probably a little easier if its off.
And I'm assuming 4 bolts with oversized washers and a generous line of sealant is enough to to hold properly?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just did this yesterday. Easier with it off since you have to drill holes into the clam. I mounted 7 bolts with large washers in addition the 3 bolts already holding the undertray.

I'll probably take it off today and add double sided adhesive tape to make sure it stays on. Took about an hour and a crap load of fiberglass in my arm wear long sleeves.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Understand if you install with the clam off MAKE sure you account for where the oil coolers and oil cooler lines are located. I installed mine with clam on even when I had clam off right before to make sure had them in the right location

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Obviously it's easier with the clam off, but it's also a piece of cake with the clam on.

- Front wheels on Rhino Ramps
- Remove front undertray
- Dry fit splitter - quick clamps and some blue tape (or a friend to hold it).

- 4 is too few. I went with 7 total to spread the load. I bought smaller bolts (3/4 inch I believe) and Nyloc nuts.

It's an easy job.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,957 Posts
Obviously it's easier with the clam off, but it's also a piece of cake with the clam on.

- Front wheels on Rhino Ramps
- Remove front undertray
- Dry fit splitter - quick clamps and some blue tape (or a friend to hold it).

- 4 is too few. I went with 7 total to spread the load. I bought smaller bolts (3/4 inch I believe) and Nyloc nuts.

It's an easy job.
This. It was incredibly easy with the clam on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
FYI, this is not a splitter to be tracked if mounted as mentioned above. I used no less than 9 bolts with oversized washers and the splitter tore off at 150mph at Pocono Raceway. I should have known better, my fault entirely. Other than that you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Eyelise-What splitter do you recommend if you plan on going high speeds or tracking the car?
I haven't found one for the Elise clam yet. What I think I will do is place an additional piece material (flat formica) under the splitter which extends back and all the way underneath the clam secured to the frame. It needs to be secured to the frame not the clam. The splitter (which ever one u buy) would be sandwhiched btwn the flat "reinforcement"and the clam. Maybe only attached to the clam with industrial strength Velcro. I have seen this once before and the guy said I could stand on the splitter and it wouldn't move.

If someone makes a better solution pls let me know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts