The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, my pocket book is looking to spend a little on the car. I'm thinking a spoiler might or might not look good on the car.

the gt4 spoiler looks kinda neat, but what else is available?
Elise Parts - Bodywork & Styling - Exterior Trim - GT4 Rear Spoiler

the big question... i like all the looks on the exige's , but do they look goofy on the elises??

if it looks good as is, what else should i spend money on? not as much as a turbo/SC kit.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
are you doing it for looks or for function?

If you're doing it for looks; They look added on, easy to tell it was not designed with it but bolted on after the fact. But as Gary Mule Deer says "If everybody had the same taste, you would all be after my old lady"

If you are doing it for function, looks functional (if you crank enough pitch into the spoiler).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug - a little of both.

Mcoupe - which one is that? not too shabby. :)

·
2006 SportElise #9
268 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
not a big fan of wings, though all 3 of my cars have them

Want to blow some money? I recomend a small bat and engine mount inserts if you dont have them.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
double adjustable shocks... i've got the lotus sport ohlins and LOVE THEM!

You should consider putting your existing mods in the bottom of posts (i think it's a signature... can't remember where the option exists) but you'll see many people (including me) have done it... and it might help people in giving you recommendations.

With rare exception I personally think wings look rediculous on street driven cars... that gut wing is pretty inconspicuos which is nice, but they all still tends to give the car a more douche bag look to it... and i've heard the same thought from women. "Tougher" looking isn't always better...

·
Registered
657 Posts
double adjustable shocks... i've got the lotus sport ohlins and LOVE THEM!

You should consider putting your existing mods in the bottom of posts (i think it's a signature... can't remember where the option exists) but you'll see many people (including me) have done it... and it might help people in giving you recommendations.

With rare exception I personally think wings look rediculous on street driven cars... that gut wing is pretty inconspicuos which is nice, but they all still tends to give the car a more douche bag look to it... and i've heard the same thought from women. "Tougher" looking isn't always better...
Hey hey...I like my douche bag car! :)

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
This is only my own opinion, so take it for what it's worth:

The GT4 doesn't look like it was made to fit the Elise... too large and wrong lines. A smaller wing more like the GUT, especially if it was either painted to match the body color or nice CF would look best IMO.

FWIW, I've decided to leave wings/spoilers for Exiges or Elise's being tracked.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Spoiler

One of my cars previous owners fitted a spoiler that left unsightly holes in the clam. I covered them and then fitted the SC spoiler as it hugs the rear close and covers up any evidence of the previous holes. It isn't very functional but IMO fits the rear end flow of the car well.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Like Doug said, it depends on if you want it for looks or performance. A wing on the back of any car will produce some downforce and drag. If you really only want to increase downforce and not up the drag significantly, you are looking at the wrong side of the car. A wing may be (lets just say) 48 inches wide, 10 inches across. 480 square inches of surface area on each side, 960 total. The bottom area of your car by comparison is massive. If you can increase the vacuum under the car, your downforce will go up by leaps and bounds.

An Elise is 70 inches wide, 160 inches long. That is 11200 square inches. If you even marginally increase the amount of negative pressure under the car, it will show huge dividends in your downforce. You can do that with a bigger diffuser, front splitter, side sills and also the rake of the car (nose down further than the rear)

For looks tho, i would pick up that wing posted above

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've been thinking the same and have decided on smaller spoilers. Like previously mentioned, anything too big just doesn't look right on our cars. I've narrowed it down to early Exige, GUT, or Elise SC. Keep us updated on what you decide on OP!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I did a Reveire wing, gut splitter with added APR splitter and APR side skirts for track but also admit looks. If you add a wing you need to balance with a front splitter.

Video starts with pictures of wing and aero mods

Waterford Hills 3Ballsracing June 11 2012 - YouTube

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RoadDad - i like those wings.

i definitely like the look and functionality of the larger wings rather than smaller ones. But, with the points made above. If I ever plan to resell the car, it seems most do not like the larger wings -- nor would they like the holes in the back clam... (might lower the asking price)

ewalberg - I have had my upgrades in my signature for months now. maybe a setting on your side to hide others sigs?

aschen - got the battery mount, but not engines (i don't believe). sounds like a big job to install those...

I'm still on the fence with the idea. I'll hold off a few days then revisit it and see how I feel.

Thanks for the wonderful input everyone!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I currently run a modified Exige wing on my Elise but have the APR GTC-200 on order that should be here Friday. People love the way the Exige wing looks but it does get some vibration due to flexing from the engine cover. Wish I could post pics from my iPad.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts