The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Exige have a front Spoiler or Splitter on it?

From what I read Spoilers are relatively vertical to push the air around the car or at a 45 degree (or so) angle to try and create down force.

Splitters on the other hand are essentially horizontal. The air flow is brought to a standstill above the splitter by the air dam or spoiler, creating high pressure. Under the splitter, the air is redirected away from the standstill and is accelerated, causing the pressure to drop. So the combination of high pressure above and the accelerated low pressure below creates the down force.

I would say it's horizontal but not flat. Has some flat spots but also a lot of curved portions.

So what's the General coscensious on the design?

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
I'd say its more of a splitter... As you know tho I also have the apr under my OEM one so I def have more of a splitter. Regardless I think it's more splitter than spoiler.

When I think spoiler I think rear wings set at an angle to create down force

Just my $.02

Of course I have no data to back that up, I'm sure someone will chime in with a more scientific analysis....

·
Registered
312 Posts
The rear 'spoiler' on an Exige is technically a wing in that it has an airplane shaped wing. A spoiler in its true form is just a vertical piece of material with the intention of causing high pressure on the area directly in front of it. Spoilers also cause an area of low pressure on the back side of them which also increases drag

A true wing is more efficient aerodynamically in that it slices better thru the air. Spoilers and wings go on the back end of the car.

Think about the rotor's of your helicopter. If they had a spoiler on them you may be able to get more lift but the drag would be horrible.

A splitter is a horizontal piece that goes onto the front of the car and it's real purpose is to stop as much air as possible from going under the car and redirect that air above or thru the car

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Spoilers aren't used to create down force, nor do they always increase drag.

On cars, airplane spoilers are different, spoilers are most often used to keep the airflow attached over rear top of the car to reduce separation, decrease turbulence, and decrease drag. Otherwise they are just for styling, and don't work effectively.

They had to add a spoiler to the Audi TT, since the rounded (squashed VW Beetle) shape caused the air to separate at the top of the car as the shape curved back downwards, which caused turbulence from that point, and resulted in rear lift at speed.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what does the SCCA consider it?

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's a splitter. It engages the air on a horizontal plane, anything after that and it's just where it transitions into the bodywork. The downforce it generates is not due to deflection or the Bernoulli principal, it most certainly is there to create laminar flow under the car to work in tandem with the diffuser to reduce drag while increasing downforce which makes it a splitter. I can't think of any street cars that have a front spoiler, the V8 Atom is about the only one I can think of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts