The Lotus Cars Community banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
If the bolts that failed were the ones that are removed in order to remove the camber shims, I was told by my Lotus service man that these are one-time-use only, and must be discarded after removal, always being replaced with a fresh set.

Don't know if this applies, but....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
cudacharlie said:
If the bolts that failed were the ones that are removed in order to remove the camber shims, I was told by my Lotus service man that these are one-time-use only, and must be discarded after removal, always being replaced with a fresh set.

Don't know if this applies, but....
Those are the correct bolts. The service manual does not call for replacement.

·
Registered
506 Posts
xtn said:
Those are the correct bolts. The service manual does not call for replacement.

Okay, then that's weird, because Ritchie (the factory-trained Lotus service guy at Silver Star with 15 years experience) told me that for sure these are torque-to-yield fasteners, and that they are no good once removed. He specifically warned me about this when I mentioned that some other Lotus owners had removed their front camber shims in order to reduce understeer. When I mentioned the possibility of other owners helping me remove the shims and adjust my car for the track, he informed me that I should have a set of new fasteners to replace the ones removed, and be sure not to over-torque them.

I wonder if I'm talking about the wrong bolts?

Good news is he said that the Sector111 RTD brace wouldn't void my warranty. :clap:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
tesprit said:
Was there any sign of a thread locker (Loctite) on the threads of the original bolts?
I saw the bolts that broke on my car, and there didn't appear to be anything on the threads. Admittedly, I wasn't looking for it either though.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
carlover said:
I saw the bolts that broke on my car, and there didn't appear to be anything on the threads. Admittedly, I wasn't looking for it either though.
It is sounding more like a failure of the factory to apply thread locker to the bolts is the problem. If anyone finds their bolts loose, it might be a good idea to remove them completely and check the threads for signs of old Loctite. I would also inspect any loose bolts for damage caused by the parts they are supposed to be holding together banging them around and replace the bolts as needed. I didn't find anything loose on my car when I inspected the bolts, but I only have 2,000 miles on my car.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts