The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for some reason my rev limit spontaneously lowered to around 6500 RPMs and the shift light is coming on around 5500 RPMs, and yes the car is up to operating temps. The car sat for about a week, and I noticed the issue following that down time. The battery did not die or anything. There is no CEL being thrown. It's like the car got put into some sort of valet mode or does not realize that it's warmed up. Any ideas? I want my full power band back!:confused:

Thanks in advance guys.:)

And the car is an 05 Elise with a Katana SC and CharlieX tune.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I will. That should reset the ECU, right?

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Also check for arcing from condensation in sparkplug/coil packs. If there is a brownish haze then they are arcing. Coat the shaft liberally with dielectric gease and reinstall. No jokes now this cure a multitude of problems.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disconnected the battery for 15 min, and it didn't fix the problem. I'll try it one more time, then on to the dielectric grease. Thanks again guys. Should I check through the fuses too?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I left the battery disconnected for over an hour and the problem is still there.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
dealer can only reset it or anyone who has scan3 tool

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will a full reset like that wipe my tune though? Ara, do you know anyone around LA that has a scan3?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A clogged air filter (dirty or wet) can cause rev limit issues (has happened to me a few times). It is worth checking. I expect a dirty MAF could cause a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My air filter was cleaned and dried about 6 weeks ago. The MAF was not though.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It could be a failed vvti solenoid, or the connection to the solenoid. Check the wiring. Check your codes. Search on newcelica, they've probably run into this a bit more than we have.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CEL came on today (first time since the rev limit issues started). I'll let you guys know what it is once I can get it scanned.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
I disconnected the battery for 15 min, and it didn't fix the problem. I'll try it one more time, then on to the dielectric grease. Thanks again guys. Should I check through the fuses too?
Yes, and use a multimeter as some fuses look OK but are not.

Did you do this already?

Likely an engine mgmt, fuel injection or similar fuses. Manual tells you the 3 fuse box locations.

Let us know pls.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just un update on the situation here. Work has been crazy, so i havent gotten to spend much time troubleshooting. I did check all the fuses and nothing was blown. The CEL went off on it's own, but the rev limit issue is still occuring 100% of the time. I have not been able to get the CEL scanned yet, or get the ECU reset. I was hoping that Mulholland would have the scan tool, but they do not:(. Hopefully I can find some time to get it reset this week and hopefully that will solve my issue. I don't see any blatant wiring issues either, and I did check the VVT solenoid.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ECU was reset today with a scan3 tool by VSA motorsports. The problem came back immediately. The car is throwing codes for over retard and a VVL code. We pulled the valve cover and the cams are good. The guys at VSA are thinking that it's likely either a faulty wiring harness or a bad intake VVT sprocket/gear (this thing: http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_69_273&products_id=811&osCsid=seb0g2vgedn2tsj182j1ue5lk5) . All fuses were also checked with a multimeter, and are good. It's going to take some more diagnostics to get to the bottom of it, but I ran out of time today at that point. If anyone has any further input/ideas on the situation please feel free to chime in. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
With the engine idling, check that the voltage feeding the VVT control solenoid is receiving approx 50% duty cycle and verify with a scan tool that the intake cam timing is 0. If there is no voltage at the solenoid you have an ECU or harness issue. If you have voltage at the solenoid but the cam timing is not responsive, you have a mechanical issue with the VVT sprocket/gear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts