The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sport button and gas mileage

Quick question... if I'm cruising at freeway speeds for any length of time, will taking off the Sport mode give better gas mileage? In general does the Sport mode cause the gas mileage to drop? I realize that in that mode one is usually driving in a more spirited manor so that may be obvious. Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quick question... if I'm cruising at freeway speeds for any length of time, will taking off the Sport mode give better gas mileage? In general does the Sport mode cause the gas mileage to drop? I realize that in that mode one is usually driving in a more spirited manor so that may be obvious. Thanks!
not sure about manual trans, IPS sport mode lowers my mpg. I get average of 13-14mpg mostly in sport mode

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
868 Posts
As said above, I'm not sure about with the manual transmission cars. I could see it changing the variable cam timing which would reduce fuel economy, seeing as how the ECU thinks you'll be driving in a more aggressive manner. As for the IPS, leaving the car in full automatic mode, the car will cruise down the highway in 5th rather than 6th when in sport mode. I've never driven that way long enough to figure out the fuel economy of running in sport mode. When not in sport mode, I average between 29 and 33 mpg. My Evora gets better mileage than my daily driver.

·
Registered
260 Posts
On the 2800mile drive from Portland OR, I didn't see any better than 22mpg.
That was with both Sport and without, in a manual S.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As said above, I'm not sure about with the manual transmission cars. I could see it changing the variable cam timing which would reduce fuel economy, seeing as how the ECU thinks you'll be driving in a more aggressive manner. As for the IPS, leaving the car in full automatic mode, the car will cruise down the highway in 5th rather than 6th when in sport mode. I've never driven that way long enough to figure out the fuel economy of running in sport mode. When not in sport mode, I average between 29 and 33 mpg. My Evora gets better mileage than my daily driver.
Your getting 29mpg?

That much difference in mpg between NA ans S?
I dont think i could get anywhere near 19mpg, even driving a honda.

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
I know this will not help at all but I actually seem to get better mileage when the car is in sport mode (and I'm not in sport mode). I typically see manual NA mpg around 22. The highest I have seen was 28 and that was only for a small section of highway on a drive from Paso Robles back to Los Angeles.

Just started driving it again after about a month straight in my pick up truck and right now I'm around 17 mpg, but that is definitely due to the driver being in sport mode.

The question has been asked a few times before and I don't think there's ever been a definitive answer on the mpg change in sport mode (na, of course).

But I can assure you that the "gal" mileage you originally asked about is way higher in sport mode :)

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
One thing we have established is that the car's computer isn't particularly accurate at calculating mpg, so before you reach any conclusions, you need to check your mpg yourself.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I have a NA and I get 28MPG on the highway cruise at about 65MPH at 70 drops into the mid 20s. In town usually around 17 to 21. track I will get 5 to 7MPG.
I think the sport button takes a bigger hit in town due to the advancing of the throttle. Seems like i'm shifting at 3800rpm or higher in town ( thank Plack for addicting me to that growl):bow:
I know the S twin screw supercharger setup draws power from the engine which can lead (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ) up to a draw of 20% of the engine efficiency, which will lead to drop in MPG. That extra power is not free and has to follow the laws of thermodynamics.
And of course if you have your foot in it (which is common in sport mode) your gas mileage will suffer.
Who cares :shrug: I did not buy the car for gas mileage.:D Its a hobby and with all hobbies do it with passion. also remember if your not breaking something you are not having any fun. C
Compared to my boat this thing sips gas like an old lady sipping tea.

I wish I could figure out how to have the "sport mode" by default instead of having to push the button all the time. :shift:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I thought the title of this thread was "sport button and gal mileage." Well, I'll confirm that you get more mileage out of your gal with the sport button ON.rotflrotflrotfl

Seriously, the sport button won't have a direct impact on mileage, as it only changes gas pedal sensitivity and ESP. But once you've pressed the button you're 99% more likely to drive more sporty and that will have an impact.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Sport mode also opens a bypass valve in the exhaust. I believe this will increase power thereby dropping mpg, albeit slightly.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I was able to get an indicated ~22MPG from SoCal to NorCal along the 5. ~340 miles?
Around the same going from SoCal to Vegas earlier in the year.

I think if you're cruising, it doesn't matter. We probably take the MPG hit in sport mode when the car is accelerating.

I have a '12 S

·
Happy To Be Here
868 Posts
Your getting 29mpg?

That much difference in mpg between NA ans S?
I dont think i could get anywhere near 19mpg, even driving a honda.
I just took a drive from WI to TN and watched my speed very closely, trying to be as economical as possible. I was usually around 32 mpg, but for one tank of fuel my car said 33.0 mpg. I did the math at the pump and sure enough, 32.9 mpg. Seems the gauge doesn't lie.

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sport mode also opens a bypass valve in the exhaust. I believe this will increase power thereby dropping mpg, albeit slightly.
Respectfully, I believe this would increase mileage as power and mpg are not mutually exclusive when a gain is caused by a removal of an exhaust restriction such as, in this case, a more convoluted muffler exhaust gas routing when the sport button is depressed. Like you, I would guess that the effect, whichever way it may be, is very slight.

·
Premium Member
6,991 Posts
I just took a drive from WI to TN and watched my speed very closely, trying to be as economical as possible. I was usually around 32 mpg, but for one tank of fuel my car said 33.0 mpg. I did the math at the pump and sure enough, 32.9 mpg. Seems the gauge doesn't lie.
Your onboard computer lies and isn't remotely accurate in many cases. Did you start stuffed and end stuffed, or use the pump shutoff each time. Any variations can be 1+ gallons difference at a fillup.
To get that mileage it must have been flat as a pancake and you were doing 60-65. Speed has considerable affect!! Anyways, impressive if you were that patient.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
AFAIK that valve is only on the S--definitely not on LE NA cars.
Sport mode cannot change gear ratios so does not affect MPG while cruising in non-IPS cars.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I'm no rocket scientist but simple physics tells me that if you are in sport mode vs. non-sport mode, all other things being equal, the engine is going to rev higher at the same speed. If the engine is revving higher, you are using more gas. Simple, no?

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
I'm no rocket scientist but simple physics tells me that if you are in sport mode vs. non-sport mode, all other things being equal, the engine is going to rev higher at the same speed. If the engine is revving higher, you are using more gas. Simple, no?
If the engine did, in fact, rev higher at the same speed, it would use more fuel. However, sport mode does not change gear ratios (nor shift points in a manual transmission car), so the RPM:MPH (gear ratio-really RMP at the drive shaft:RPM at the wheel hub:Tire Circumference:MPH) is unchanged.

·
Premium Member
6,991 Posts
No see JS Elise's post.

·
Happy To Be Here
868 Posts
Your onboard computer lies and isn't remotely accurate in many cases. Did you start stuffed and end stuffed, or use the pump shutoff each time. Any variations can be 1+ gallons difference at a fillup.
To get that mileage it must have been flat as a pancake and you were doing 60-65. Speed has considerable affect!! Anyways, impressive if you were that patient.
Oh yeah, I stuff that tank full every time so that I can calculate the mileage if I feel like it. I had filled up in Kenosha and was driving only 60 mph all the way around Chicago (yeah, EVERYONE was passing me haha). But I wanted to see how far a tank really could go and I got 356 miles out of it before I filled up and the low fuel light wasn't on yet. The roads were pretty flat, all highway and all at about 60 mph, but I was dodging so many potholes when I got to Indiana. What's up with their highways?!? They were terrible.

Anyway, back on topic, when I drove in a spirited fashion on the Tail of the Dragon yesterday with sport mode on, I was maybe getting 18 mpg max. I was having too much fun to pay attention to fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts