The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from lunch. Love the sport mode. It should have been the default and standard on all Evoras. They probably did it to sale options and get better fuel economy numbers but sport mode should have been standard. It makes a huge difference in throttle response. Without it, the car feels like its Toyota cousins. Push the sport button and better be careful when you are at a stoplight.
Anyone know what is it doing exactly? I can't seem to find a detailed write up on it. Does it just change the cam engagement and just making more power at the low end?

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
It hurts EPA ratings and emissions; no car company would set it as default. If you don’t have the skill or strength to push the bottom, you have no need to use; even when I pulled out onto the track sometimes I forget to set it on the pit road, but could easily push it while driving.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
AFAIK:

Pressing the Sport button:
1. physical opens up valve on the left hand side of your car (you can hear the click), allowing more air into the motor, thereby
2. Sharpen throttle response
3. Increase rev limiter to 7200 RPM
4. changes traction control settings for more aggressive driving.
5. lastly, it opens exhaust bypass valve on later models featuring the dual-mode exhaust.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
The economy mode on new cars is the default so that they can advertise better fuel economy numbers.

The majority of the reviews I have read in Car and Driver talk about how you would want to push Sport mode for normal day-to-day driving (on any type of new car).

So I find it ironic that the push to have cars with better mileage has really just turned into the newer set of cars having the same mileage in Sport mode as the old cars had.

However I suppose that some people may stick to the economy mode.

Another thing about the push for better fuel economy numbers is that we have more expensive (i.e. turbo-charged) engines now and lighter body parts. So we save on gas but pay more for the car and often more for repairs. Anyways that is my 2 cents.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Just get the Radium CAI. "Standard" mode becomes "Sport mode" and "Sport" mode becomes "Sport Plus":clap:
Well maybe not that great, but the CAI definately adds a great increase to throttle response.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
We should have the option of setting either as default ourselves

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Funny as a DD I rarely use sport mode. It makes heel toe easier but the more linear throttle response makes driving around other losers more relaxed. You have 98% of the performance you just have to work the go pedal a little more.

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
The economy mode on new cars is the default so that they can advertise better fuel economy numbers.

The majority of the reviews I have read in Car and Driver talk about how you would want to push Sport mode for normal day-to-day driving (on any type of new car).

So I find it ironic that the push to have cars with better mileage has really just turned into the newer set of cars having the same mileage in Sport mode as the old cars had.

However I suppose that some people may stick to the economy mode.

Another thing about the push for better fuel economy numbers is that we have more expensive (i.e. turbo-charged) engines now and lighter body parts. So we save on gas but pay more for the car and often more for repairs. Anyways that is my 2 cents.
The car companies do not care what your actual mialge may be; what they car about is their wallet and the fees/fines that they are assessed for poor mileage figures.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Please keep in mind that the DSC understeer recognition feature is disabled in sport mode! Be careful when turning in on slippery surfaces.

Nevertheless, I'd also like to set sport mode as default. I never drive without. However, pressing some buttons after startup is not a problem, I also have to turn lights on every day (driving through 2 tunnels on my way to work)

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I find my self not using Sport Mode every day as the commute has a lot of stop and go work traffic. I also like saying "engage" or "make it so" when hitting the button and flooring it if someone else is in the car - options :) lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts