The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the composition of the sport package wheels? Since they are from Russia and all the low-cost titanium in the world comes from there, is it possible they are a titanium alloy? Or just cheap russian aluminum?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I haven't seen titanium mentioned anywhere. I expect them to be just the normal (forged) aluminum.

And it doesn't bother me at all that they're made in Russia. It amazes me how people think that they couldn't do anything there. Those guys built space stations and fighter jets, and educated a lot of smart people. I believe that they're more than capable of making high quality wheels.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The Russians and other east european manufacturers turn out some beautiful components. The Russians are expert at working with titanium. Most of these components fro cars and motorcycles are made at former aerospace companies.

Chris

·
Registered
187 Posts
The wheels are High Pressure cast wheels... Aluminum.

The process is different that most wheel manufacturers use....Apparently, this is an AeroSpace plant turned commerical...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
elise77 said:
The wheels are High Pressure cast wheels... Aluminum.

The process is different that most wheel manufacturers use....Apparently, this is an AeroSpace plant turned commerical...
Lotus has said that the wheels are forged on the order guide.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I personally am imagining an older woman named Natasha wearing a sackcloth dress sitting at a table in a dingy gray room. In front of her on an old wooden table is a bowl of half eaten borscht soup and a solid cube of "cheap russian metal". She's getting out her whittling knife now...and she better damn well hurry too because JUNE is almost here!! :D

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't mean to offend with my reference to "cheap russian aluminum". These guys have amazing engineering capabilities as long as you can trust the QC in the newly democratized country.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
_JD_ said:
Lotus has said that the wheels are forged on the order guide.
Possibly could be both.

FORGED: Material is placed under high pressure between tooling dies to conform to a shape.

CAST: Material is poured under gravity or low pressure into a mold.

SEMI-SOLID-FORGED: Material in a semi-liquid state is forced under higher pressure into a mold/die.

The advantage of the semi-solid forging is that using a semi-liquid means the tooling is a lot cheaper, closer to that of a cast rim. But the properties of the metal are similar to forging.

I don't know how the LSS rims are made, but if they use this process, they could be considered high-pressure molded and also forged.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Considering the supposed weight of the wheel, I would think they are forged.

I know my Regamaster and previous Spoon wheels were 10K ton forged from Russia. For 16" rims weighing ~12 lbs., that is pretty good.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am sorry, I miss typed before....

They are High Pressure Forged....Too many things going on in the office at one time... OOPS

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kinda off-topic but I remember on a trip to Jamaica seeing my first bauxite mine. (bauxite is the raw material of aluminum). Apparently the Jamaicans would trade whole shiploads of bauxite to the USSR for a certain number of Ladas or Skodas or whatever. The Russkies had little hard currency.

BTW- The Jamaicans- and most others in developing countries- are masters at keeping P.O.S. cars running for 20-30 years.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DCNSX said:

BTW- The Jamaicans- and most others in developing countries- are masters at keeping P.O.S. cars running for 20-30 years.
If this is the case, they probably are a good source of MGAs, MGBs, and Triumphs. :D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
fzust said:
If this is the case, they probably are a good source of MGAs, MGBs, and Triumphs. :D
Actually it seems that DeSotos are the car of choice- at least in Cuba.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was given an explanation of the LSS wheels at the LA show. They're cast aluminum(ium), but spun while cooling to reduce porosity and increase strength. They are then milled to final shape.

They are not anodized or finished- so be very careful when cleaning.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If they are not anodized or finished, how do you keep them looking good? Won't they just oxidize?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good question, and I may not have remembered whether there is a finish on the LSS wheels. I do remember to be very careful with detailing.

On a similar note, I have a set of aluminum wheels ('classic' centerlines) that have no finish. Once poilished, it does take a lot effort to keep them shiny.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yay! One of my major bitches with the sport pack wheels is that they look like a PITA to keep clean. now I gotta wax them every week with a Q-tip! ARRRRGGGGHHHH:mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts