The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the owners manual and didn’t quite understand the real differences for the owners of the Evora GT between Sport and Race modes. For those who own the vehicle I’d love to hear from you about what the real life differences are in term of “seat of the pants” experience or what are the basic changes between these modes? And when carving up canyons (or a race track) at a rapid pace, what should I be using in your opinion and why? I can’t tell the difference but maybe I am just naive and a newbie.

btw - I took the GT out yesterday and had a blast. Went out with a group that knows the best roads in San Diego County to enjoy and this car is INSANE! I really felt the car was hard wired to my brain and the responsiveness, braking, and handling are undoubtedly better than any car I’ve ever experienced when going through twisty tight back roads at a rapid pace. The car was so compliant and the suspension never got upset mid corner even with the pavement undulations that are typical of county or city roads. The tires are AWESOME - The Pilot Sport Cup 2’s are my new favorite tires. This is my first car with them. While I am just learning what a Lotus is all about because it’s my first, let me tell you I am a big believer after owning some incredible cars. Most recently had a 2018 Mclaren 720s and 2015 Lamborghini Huracan 610-4.This is a bold statement but the GT absolutely outperformed and offered more confidence than both of those cars on the same roads.

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
The biggest difference between the three (road, sport and race) is in the calibration of the nannies (stability/traction control...each allowing less slip before intervention, race being loosest ). Also, normal mode has a 6500 RPM cutoff and of course the valve stays closed in routine driving until revs hit 4000. Sport and Race are free to go to 7000. To be honest, I can't feel a difference in throttle response but if I recall the literature hints at that being factored as well. After that, pretty much the same: exhaust valve open, red line at 7000RPM with stability/traction control set looser in Race and that's about it. I generally drive in Sport mode so the valve is open but will still have road biased nannies. I suspect most others do this as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would agree that the biggest difference between sport and race is the nanny settings. In the Evora 400 race mode turns off traction/stability control completely. There is a warning light to make sure you're aware. I do notice that the idle is higher in race mode vs sport mode and I think the fueling is a little richer as well which I assume is an effort to cool the combustion a bit when driving flatout for extended periods. Personally, I would never use race mode on the street. In my opinion, no one should be disabling the nannies on public roads because it's not just you out there and they really can save you if you make a mistake or there are unexpected road conditions (oil patch, gravel on the road, surface changes, etc.). Even when I go to the track I usually just leave it in sport mode because I'm not looking to stuff the car into the wall and I drive as hard as I can. I have put it in race a few times on the track and the car definitely allows me to rotate way easier in that mode which is useful if you're looking to get absolutely every last drop of performance out of the car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Race does not turn everything off, it is reduced, but still on. I understand Race needs to lose traction once to calibrate to conditions, then holds those conditions until Race mode is reset again. I have to search my YouTube history. There is a good video that explains it. I have not tried it on track and don't trust that that algorithm would work with changing elevations. On a flat track, probably ok though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here's one... says you can floor it on corner exits and the algorithm maximizes throttle based on recorded conditions.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
In race mode you also get higher RPM when Idling. Some good info in this thread about how in race mode you can have some ESP or totally shut it off.

Race Mode and ESP

·
Registered
149 Posts
In race mode you also get higher RPM when Idling. Some good info in this thread about how in race mode you can have some ESP or totally shut it off.

Race Mode and ESP
This thread is super helpful. I knew you could turn the nannies completely off in race mode but I didn't realize you had to hit the button twice. The ESC Off light illuminating even when it's not off is kind of confusing. You would think they would just have the light off until it's off instead of the way they did it.

·
Loves to talk
1,108 Posts
It doesn't turn them completely off in race mode. There is a button push routine that will turn the nannies off from race mode. I forgot what it is....someone will be by shortly to remind us.....but Race still retains a vestige of TC and stability control. You have the option to turn them off from race mode but you don't turn them off simply by selecting Race.

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
Two buttons, but 4 settings and somewhat confusing dash light display
Normal, Sport, Race, and TC off

• Normal has low rpm limit, softened throttle response, exhaust muted except normal high rpm bypass.
  • Sport and Race, TC Off raise deadline, linearize throttle response, keep exhaust open at all times
  • Race increase idea speed (old Seres 1 cars had rpm raised aupon entering Sport mode.

As others had said, the 4 steps open up the allowable wheel slip and angle of yaw before nannies step in.

That all said my go to street or track is 'Sport'. While I have used 'Race' on track I find that teh lotus ESC is very polite versus some other brands and doesn't jump in over aggressively by cutting throttle. I consider 'Normal' to be rain mode.

Reactions: dogtag114

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
It doesn't turn them completely off in race mode. There is a button push routine that will turn the nannies off from race mode. I forgot what it is....someone will be by shortly to remind us.....but Race still retains a vestige of TC and stability control. You have the option to turn them off from race mode but you don't turn them off simply by selecting Race.
The way you turn it off from Race Mode is in the tread I linked in my above post

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always drive in Race mode, but I doubt I push the car hard enough on my B-road cruising to tell the difference. You have to really push the car to get it to lose control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My usual driving is in Sport. If I run in the mountains I use Race mode, as it's fairly liberal. I never fully disable the stability control for the reasons referenced above.

·
Registered
91 Posts
'Whilst driving' if I have a problem with the 'tractive limit' I immediately look for the 'tell tale' to see what mode my car is in and if the 'engine protection valve' is working correctly. :unsure: Who has been writing these manuals for Lotus? I have a guess . . . ha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts