Standard stuff-
Leather seats with cloth inserts
Blaupunkt CD(?)
Driver and Passenger Air Bags
Starter Button
Alarm Immobilizer

Options-
Hardtop (est $1500) includes soft top.
Special colors (at this point, Chrome Orange)

Touring Package- (nothing official) $975-1000
Adds additional insulation to the soft top
Full carpeting on the floor
Seats are full leather
Cargo net for holding stuff
Upgraded CD player with MP3 player

Sports Suspension- $2500-3000
Replace all rims with lightweight rims. Fronts increase from 5.5" to 6.5".

Tires replaced with special Yokohama A048s.
Springs (lower, 250lbs/in front. 325lbs/in rear)

Bilstein Struts
Adjustments to anti-roll bar
Added steering rack plate due to different geometry (car is lower).

Ride height drops approx 1" (goes to 120mm)

Alignment changes

More info as I get it....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks for the list. Will the full carpeting on the floor eliminate the corrosion problems the current Elise has on the floorboards do you think? Or is that problem already addressed for all the Fed Elises?

The starter button does it for me. I like that in my S2K. :) I know it's no big deal, but there's just something I like about it.:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Randy

What is your opinion (if you have one) on the LSS spring rates in terms of autox and track use? I recall seeing somewhat higher rates on some aftermarket upgrade packages. I'm hoping the LSS rates are adequate for the track on DOT R tires. I'll be opting for the LSS if it's adequate for the track.

Jeff "hoping to stay stock" Brauch

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Thanks, Randy. How about making it a sticky? As far as which options, no touring for me, most likely LSS (if the ride is semi-decent).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think I'd like both the Touring option and the Sports suspension. Touring option since this will be my daily driver (40+ miles/day). Sports suspension because I've been kicking myself for not getting the equivalent option on the 968 it will be replacing since I bought it.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I'd also like to find out how extreme the LSS is for street use. Those spring rates aren't traditionally high for a road car, but I'm using cars around 3000 pounds as reference.

Can springs rates be translated to a similar setting for a heavier car?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nathan968 said:
I think I'd like both the Touring option and the Sports suspension. Touring option since this will be my daily driver (40+ miles/day). Sports suspension because I've been kicking myself for not getting the equivalent option on the 968 it will be replacing since I bought it.
My thoughts too, my feeling is I can make up the 5 pounds added in the touring package by outdriving the competition. :) Or decide to quit eating the nightly hot fudge sundaes for a month.

Be aware that Lotus only allocated 300 Sport Suspension options for the build year.

The car without Sport Suspension will be more than enough for almost everyone that is not using the car in competition. If you have driven the present S2 on the street, you know it's not a cushy ride. :) I don't expect that to change. Going stiffer for the street (and lower) is not for everyone. It's a trade off.

The other thing to consider is that you can buy bits and pieces of the Sport Suspension later.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think I won't be able to pass up the LSS option because I always like to feel I've got the top dog in term of performance options and I track/autocross regularly.

I'll have to see about the touring package but I'll probably get suckered into that as well. :D

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It seems like there's a fair amount of intrest in LSS. As far as ride goes the std S2 was fine, compared to my MR2 with tokico set at 3. If the LSS becomes more like the 4 setting , may have a hard time living with it on the streets.

On the availablity. Any ideas how that will play out. Would it be 25 a month, so if that months bulid is taken we're have to wait another month. Or maybe a higher rate for 5-6 months & when there sold out... wait till next year?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm hoping that my #3 position at my dealership will allow me to get the sport suspension even if there is a small number of them made. I'm not really clear on why this should be a limited option though. Has anyone heard anything official about this?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm an average street driver, so I won't be getting the sports suspension. The touring package sounds nice, but I'm not sure it would be worth $1000 to me. I wasn't planning to get a hard top, but my wife wants one for the looks and added security when you travel.

Color is my biggest interest at the moment. Hoping that the dealers will hold off on order placement until at least January 3rd (i.e., after we see some stuff at the LA Auto Show).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FederalElise said:
excellent info, thanks!

Doesn't some SCCA division not allow aftermarket suspension parts? I would think this would be one motivation to get the parts as standard.
Depends. The SCCA allows aftermarket struts, so you could get even better ones presumably, like 3 way adjustable Moutons with external reservoirs. You can also change your front bar.

I was told that you could buy the same bits that come with the Sport Suspension directly from Lotus Motorsport. They will be happy to sell them.

To compete in stock class in SCCA, you will not be able to use the Sport Suspension springs, unless you also change the steering rack plate and go to the wider front rims. Everything else is free according to SCCA stock rules.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nathan968 said:
I'm hoping that my #3 position at my dealership will allow me to get the sport suspension even if there is a small number of them made. I'm not really clear on why this should be a limited option though. Has anyone heard anything official about this?
Only that they had allocated 300 cars. This was probably (my guess) just an estimation from Lotus about the interest they would receive. It would make sense that if they find that 50% of the orders include the Sports Suspension, they would adjust things on their end to accomodate people. However, it's not quite that simple as the 300 number means they have ordered 300 sets of tires, rims, struts, springs, etc.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LarryB said:
It seems like there's a fair amount of intrest in LSS. As far as ride goes the std S2 was fine, compared to my MR2 with tokico set at 3. If the LSS becomes more like the 4 setting , may have a hard time living with it on the streets.
Good analogy for those with experience on Tokicos in an MR2. I never minded street at higher levels. I left mine at 5 often. But most people would not like it.

On the availablity. Any ideas how that will play out. Would it be 25 a month, so if that months bulid is taken we're have to wait another month. Or maybe a higher rate for 5-6 months & when there sold out... wait till next year?
That is the question. If they build to order as we think they will, it would seem that a car will be tagged as including S-S and they will pop in the different bits. The allocation is the thing.

If that is the case, they will build up the cars as they are on the lists and some will have Sports Suspension. How quick will 300 of them go? And then what will Lotus do once that happens or gets close to happening. In other words, what happens when they find their estimation for demand for Sports Suspension is wrong?

But maybe it isn't?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Anyone have any idea what the "lightweight" wheels look like? Might we assume they look like the wheels found on the 135R? (for the record, I really dislike the looks of those)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Lowered with H&R make it a bit stiffer. The chassis of the Eise should help... LSS is the one tough call . I'm early enough on the list I most likely wouldn't get to drive on before hand.

My understanding of allocation is the dealers get x # per month. Basicly it's a spot in the production line. The order goes to the factory months in advance so effect the car is bulit to the dealers/customers order. My guess is they will bulid to demand & when the 300 are sold out that would be it. Agree more likely IF they sell quick they will order more parts to help meet demand.

Wheels in the UK were OZ, think someone had posted the black ones on the car .

·
Registered
607 Posts
My deposit a little over midpack out of 100 "allocated" I do hope I can get the Sports. Please listen to us, Lotus.

Maybe most of the enthusiasts wanting the LSS are posters here, and ~300 might be correct.

Whatever, this makes the wait even more difficult.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I'm not saying that I know anything (because if I did I may loose my early position at my dealer by order of the lotus gods) but here is what I can tell you about the sport suspension. The option is as described in the other posts on this thread. Also, as stated above, once the 300 are ordered, that's it for 05. this isn't Ford where they can just get on the line and order up more package peices and say "have it here next thursday". It is true that the package can be ordered afterward and installed by your dealer BUT, lets think about it, if there are only 300 sets ordered for 05, what chance do you think your dealer will have at getting the package for installation in 05? Answer: NONE. So unless you want to wait until late 05 or 06 ORDER THE PACKAGE IF YOU CAN. As an interesting aside, what goes on can come off. If the suspension is killing you in that daily commute, your dealer can swap it out for the standard (which, BTW, won't have the wait associated with it). Lets all remember this takes money guys and your at the will of your dealer. It will be cheaper to get the package from the factory v. the dealer by alot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts