The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there one available or will there be one? Can't remember if the front clam opens or not, cause you need to hook the sports bra somewhere.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
nxm, I cant answer your question as Im not sure. I believe Ive seen some cars on Seloc who have bra's, I'll try and pay more attention now.

Is there a reason you want a bra particularly? ie, do you like the way they look? If you're just going for paint protection I'd recommend going with the clear 3m protection up front. Thats what I plan on going with and I think some others here are too.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was talking to JohnnyQuest and he said that clear film will dent over time and will have to be replaced as it will be noticeable. Also, I am not sure what the cost of the clear film will be. I just want to see if there are other options availble before definately deciding on the clear film. Also, it would depend how much of a pain the sports bra is to put on. I have a sports bra for my eclipse and it is a breeze to put on. My inlaws have a sports bra for their camry and it is a pain to put on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A guy is Scotland has a bra for his S1. It was made in Australia I believe. It is so ugly (the car looks like Hannibal Lector !) that he has never been brave enough to put it on.

Cheaper to just have a respray every couple of years. Elises are low, and will get stone chips. It is a fact of life that we all learn to live with. Clear protective film is your best option if worried, and is readily available pre cut in Europe.

Front clam does NOT open !!!

Giles.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
How does the 3M stuff wear? I used to have something in my 944's by the wheel arches that was from factory, on a white car over time it yellowed and showed itself. The same problem persisted with some other colors as well. Then there was the wax collecting against the edges.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I've used the 3m stuff for years on various areas on my motorcycles. No degradation of the film I ever noticed, just waxed it whenever I waxed the bike.

I don't understand the "dent" statement. If he means it separates in some areas from the car, never had that problem.

3ms what I'm going with, had a bra on a mitsubishi, it doesn't really seem like a good idea, the buffeting at speed is bound to damage the finish, particles of dirt between bra and paint will also hurt, just can't seeing using one.
Chris

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zvezdah1 said:

I don't understand the "dent" statement. If he means it separates in some areas from the car, never had that problem.

Chris
When I spoke to JohnnyQuest, I took his statement being - flying stones can leave an impression in the clear film. Overtime, this will become noticeable.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
babak said:
How does the 3M stuff wear? I used to have something in my 944's by the wheel arches that was from factory, on a white car over time it yellowed and showed itself. The same problem persisted with some other colors as well. Then there was the wax collecting against the edges.
Yellowing was a problem with the first generation product. Believe me, I was one of the engineers at 3M that was toiling away in the lab/field to find a solution! The current generation product will not yellow. We fixed it(in the early 90s) by applying a flexible urethane clear coat to the original film. Of course if you leave your car outside 24-7 in Phoenix it will discolor in about 10 years (as will your paint). I doubt any of us will be so abusive...:)

Regarding the dent issue, I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. The 3M film is very durable and will spare your paint from most damage. If you take a rock hit that damages the film, you can just remove it and replace it. At least your paint will be protected.

Wax build up is a reality. It just requires a little bit of extra detailing to remove.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
nxm150 said:
When I spoke to JohnnyQuest, I took his statement being - flying stones can leave an impression in the clear film. Overtime, this will become noticeable.
The film is not totally impervious. If you will be putting alot of miles on your car you may notice these impressions after 50k miles or more. Then you just peel it off and put on a new one. ;)

The clear coat on the film actually has some 'self-healing' properties that allow some of the minor impressions to disappear. Rock hits that take place at very high speed may not fully recover.

Overall it is a great product. But then again I am a bit biased...:D

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
No bras for cars. Why get a sexy looking car and degrade its looks with an ugly looking bra?

Of course, what do I know? I prefer women sans bra as well.

In fact, if you're buying a convertible for that topless driving experience, why not go all the way? :D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I don't think that a "bra" for the nose of a car is really a good idea, I've always heard that it does more harm than good, by rubbing and ultimately scratching the paint that it's supposed to be protecting.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Agree what is the point?

You put the bra on to keep the car looking good - but while it's on, the car looks butt ugly:confused:

If you're going to do something then the 3M would seem like the only way forward...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am two years into a 3M clear product on my M5, no yellowing and susposidly it will not yellow. There are some dings in it from rock strikes I only notice them when I wash it and feel the microfiber cloth drag across them. I use it on my Seven also on the rear fenders.
Love the product and I plan to put it on the Elise.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Has anyone here actually tried to remove/replace a piece of the 3M stuff. Is it hard? What is involved exactly? Or is that only meant to be done by a certified 3M installer?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Too bad you all dont live near me. My husband used to work for a company that did the graphics for race trailers and cop cars etc. We're fairly adept and putting on 3m products, even the harder ones. Have done several semi tractor trailer sized installs for friends race trailers. Its not hard, but its tedious and requires concentration and time.

Comes off with elbow grease and a hairdryer.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have taken some off of my Seven, the technique I used was: park the car in the sun to get the film nice and warm, then used a hair drier, carefully peeled it off. Then used some 3M adhesive remover to clean the area. No big deal I just took my time and peeled it slowly.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
The film comes off pretty easily. Adhesive can sometimes separate when you remove the film. Any citrus based cleaner will remove the adhesive. The 3M adhesive remover is good but a bit more harsh than you probably need. Try the citrus stuff first and then use the 3M adhesive remover if some adhesive still remains.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Do they come off as easily?:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts