The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy is da MAN!!! It is freezing cold and he's rolling with his top off. That is some hardcore daily driving. It was like 40F out. I would have the hardtop on and heater blasting.
Check out this Lotus spotted driving:

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
That is pretty rare to see a left hand Lotus in Japan. Not sure it makes much sense, but hey, it's a cool S1 nonetheless!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i finally broke down and put my hardtop on for this morning's drive in the mid twenties; november was at thirty degrees and manageable topless, once i remembered to turn on the heater about an hour in...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You Californians are funny. rotfl I wonder what you'd think about our weather today, 10F and snowing. By the looks of things I should be driving with the top off by Wednesday (47F).

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
You Californians are funny. rotfl I wonder what you'd think about our weather today, 10F and snowing. By the looks of things I should be driving with the top off by Wednesday (47F).

When I first moved to SoCal it would be like 60 degrees and I would be out in shorts and a T-shirt laughing at people all bundled up, 4 years later and I freeze my arse off when it hits 60 :panic:

It can get chilly here though, tonight it will be 40 and it can dip into the 30's every now and then. Not bad I know, but it comes at a cost obviously.

40F seems a bit warm for Japan this time of year (whenever I am in Osaka in the winter it is in the 20's and 30's ) so perhaps that is why this guy is being "da MAN", but I am not particularly impressed, I've driven at those temps with no top, no heat and no DOORS :D

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
since when is 40F freezing???

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If it's a sunny day in Michigan and in the 30's, people have their tops off.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yep, Mopho's right. Once your body adjusts to your environment, you really notice any big change in temp. I see that guy all bundled up, with a cap pulled down tight over his head and think "What a wuss!" :D

Like Amarao, 40 degrees is top off weather up here (we do have the benefit of lots of sunshine and little humidity, which makes it easier).

Heck, if it's sunny, I go karting when it's 40. Sliding on cold tires is a blast. You can really feel the second you get some heat in 'em. Good practice.

Tom

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
its 25F here right now, snowed lightly and i'm about to go take the top off my mr2 and go have some fun in this weather :evil::evil:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Cold is relative. I'd be more impressed with someone riding a bike in sub 50F weather.

This guy is just someone getting great use out of his S1!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, and it's a left hand drive model... Not many of those in Japan...
oh man, i didn't even notice that! I was preoccupied with just getting a photo taken before he took off at the light I wasn't paying attention to it being LHD.

and okay you crackheads who say 40 isn't cold. I am like Mopho and have adjusted to Cali weather. I think it is insane to drive with your top off when it is 40, seriously! maybe you are just too numb from the cold to notice your limbs freezing and cells dying.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...honestly, it's not bad driving in the fourties at all, and certainly doesn't require bundling up like the photograph...once temperatures hit the mid-thirties, you'll need the heater blowing on your hands to keep them from going numb, but other than that, a t-shirt and jeans with a sweatshirt on top are sufficiently comfortable for hours of driving at speed, and a cap's not a bad idea, either...i can't speak to driving topless in the twenties because i took advantage of the rare opportunity to use my hardtop, though...

...the greatest challenge with cold-weather driving i've found to be keeping the engine up at temperature: in the low-thirties i'd lose my second cam shortly into any high-speed blast and wouldn't regain it until several minutes of cruising back down at more civilian speeds, and in the mid-twenties i'd loose temperature readings altogether when cruising much above eighty, in fact i never warmed up enough to push redline north of six thousand...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
...the greatest challenge with cold-weather driving i've found to be keeping the engine up at temperature: in the low-thirties i'd lose my second cam shortly into any high-speed blast and wouldn't regain it until several minutes of cruising back down at more civilian speeds, and in the mid-twenties i'd loose temperature readings altogether when cruising much above eighty, in fact i never warmed up enough to push redline north of six thousand...
Odd, I routinely make a 70 mile drive in 30/40F temps and I never lose 2nd cam. My average speed is about 90mph too. :shrug:

Once I went to work with the top off, it was in the 50s when I went in. I really didn't think long and hard about the decision because when I left it was in the low 40s, around town it's not bad, but an hour at 90mph with a shaved head is quite interesting. rotfl

·
Registered
72 Posts
As I haven't, I've always wondered for those who drive or have driven a RHD car, how does it compare to LHD? Is one advantageous over the other? Is one more natural than the other? Is it hard to be ambidextrous of sorts in this regard? Can you easily switch from one to the other?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I can switch between LHD & RHD easy enough while doing normal street driving. At the track it was a totally different matter. Generally for track use you want the weight on predominately the inside wheels. For the street you want to see around cars for passing... so being seated on the same side as everyone else is an advantage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts