The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 2344 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SY elise, 237 south around 4:30pm daily

I see you go by me all the time on the way home from work, I'm headed on 237N (most of the time in my 4runner). I decided to make a new thread since I couldn't figure out who it was :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
[NoCal] '06 Phantom Black Exige on I-205

It was about 2p today travelling northbound by the Foster Rd. Exit. I was the guy in the Graphite Gray Exige S. Blew my mind that on my first ride after bringing the car home last week, I'm being passed by and then following another Exige. Apparently this car has the same exclusivity of an Accord or Camry. ;)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
[NoCal] Spotted - Tesla test mule

Coming back from the coast today, I saw a yellow Elise on highway 92 leaving Half Moon Bay. As I caught up to it, I recognized it wasn't Saffron Yellow, but had the '05 taillights. Not sure, maybe solar yellow? Anyway, I wasn't able to get too close until we got to 280, when I realized it was a European-spec Elise - antenna on engine cover, and the rear end was for a Rover engine. It was wearing California manufacturer plates. That's when I realized that...it had no exhaust tips! The areas in the rear panel where the dual european-style exhausts would exit were empty. That, combined with the mfg plates, made me realize I was looking at a test mule for local car company Tesla Motors. The car exited at Sand Hill. My guess is it was a standard Elise fitted with a Tesla drivetrain, being taken out for a fun weekend drive by one of the Tesla employees.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
MattG said:
Coming back from the coast today, I saw a yellow Elise on highway 92 leaving Half Moon Bay. As I caught up to it, I recognized it wasn't Saffron Yellow, but had the '05 taillights. Not sure, maybe solar yellow? Anyway, I wasn't able to get too close until we got to 280, when I realized it was a European-spec Elise - antenna on engine cover, and the rear end was for a Rover engine. It was wearing California manufacturer plates. That's when I realized that...it had no exhaust tips! The areas in the rear panel where the dual european-style exhausts would exit were empty. That, combined with the mfg plates, made me realize I was looking at a test mule for local car company Tesla Motors. The car exited at Sand Hill. My guess is it was a standard Elise fitted with a Tesla drivetrain, being taken out for a fun weekend drive by one of the Tesla employees.
At this point, I'm not sure why they'd need a test mule. The car is in production. Maybe you just saw a European Elise with a U.S. Stage II exhaust. (Tips don't protrude from the diffuser like the stock exhaust.)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Oh man, I am SO buying one of those! And about 75kw of photovoltaic cells for the hillside behind my house... suck on that, OPEC!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Flash G said:
At this point, I'm not sure why they'd need a test mule. The car is in production. Maybe you just saw a European Elise with a U.S. Stage II exhaust. (Tips don't protrude from the diffuser like the stock exhaust.)
I did try looking for a stage 2 exhaust, but couldn't see one - though the diffuser was black so it'd have been a little tough to spot.

The MFG plates I think really give it away though, I mean, there are not many manufacturers in CA! I'm guessing it was their original test mule, used for R&D before the actual design was produced. It's probably now being used by higher-ups in the company as a daily driver for durability testing.

I suppose it could also be Zap's car, as they're working with Lotus these days though I thought their attention was focused more on the APX platform.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Great spotting!!

Flash G said:
Production - yes. But I bet they are still fine tuning it, and especially the electronics and power management systems that are more software than hardware.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry, didn't see the thread the first time around.

Unless there are two SY on 237 west around that time, it must be me you're seeing :wave: I tend to leave work around 4:30 so I can get home to Mt. View before the traffic starts building up on 237.

I work just north of the 237/880 intersection. Going on the flyover from 237 east onto 880 north in the mornings can be fun if there aren't any other cars around :shift:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome :wave: , looks like we'll both be exiting on Lafayette today to go to Rob's new shop... cya there

·
Registered
35 Posts
[NoCal] Almaden Expressway Black 05/06 Elise

Southbound, tuesday 4/24 around 7:45pm

Looks like you have HID's

I think there's at least 3 or 4 Elises in Almaden. Just wanted to say Hi!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably kohete... he lives down there, starlight black with HIDs
I was on Almaden last night at that time, but only briefly on the stretch between 85 and blossom hill :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
[NoCal] April 26 2007 heading East on I-80 Chrome Orange/Safron Yellow by Truckee

Who was heading east on I-80 just west of Truckee on Thursday, April 26 around 2 pm in a chrome orange and saffron yellow Elises traveling in convoy. I passed you in a bordeaux red elise heading west.

e over

·
Registered
92 Posts
[NoCal] Elise in the Google Parking Lot

I have seen some cool cars at Google. How many E-talkers/Googlers are there? Lets take over a bunch of parking spaces with All Elises and Exiges

:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Dunno how many Elises / Exiges there are at Google, but we have quite a few here at Microsoft as well ;) I think I'm the only person in MS search with one tho :(

I think tech companies in general are good places to see cool looking cars!!! :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
I work for a relatively large (mostly up-and-coming) tech company and the coolest car in our parking lot is the BWM 645 the company owns and gives to exceptional ("Fanatical") employees for a week to recognize them. It used to be an M3 but I think the lease ran out.

I'm hoping to be the first to bring an Elise around :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I know at least 2 other Googlers with an Elise/Exige, both of them are on Etalk.

At Yahoo I have met at least 3 owners (apart from me) one of whom is on Etalk

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I know one Exige owner on ET at Google.

1 - 20 of 2344 Posts