The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I drove East on the Pa Turnpike today around 2:00 pm, a Bordeaux Elise with Temp tags flew by doing about 90-100 mph. Anyone here?

BTW, on my way to ct. I played carrot with a new 05 Mustang GT at more than 120 mph on the NJ turnpike.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
wallabyguy said:
BTW, on my way to ct. I played carrot with a new 05 Mustang GT at more than 120 mph on the NJ turnpike.
Hmmm...the word "responsible" doesn't seem to spring to mind. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Hmmm...the word "responsible" doesn't seem to spring to mind.<<<

Well...it's human nature to push limits and try things out. That's how explorers discover things, cures for disease are found, glued together extruded aluminum frames are developed.

Going faster than usual on the highway on occasion can happen. I don't advocate it, but if noone ever did things like this we'd still be cave people cowering in fear from predators.

The urge to explore, push limits and go where no man has gone before are a big reason why our species has done well.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, I agree that we all push the limits. I certainly don't adhere to 55. But "more than 120" on a public road is, under almost any circumstance, pretty irresponsible. Do what you want with your own life, but don't endanger others. I'd find it hard to believe there were no other vehicles in the vicinity, and no entrances where they could suddenly appear from.

Having said that, again, I do acknowledge that I'm no saint, so I can only point fingers just so much. Still, that doesn't stop me! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I still have never seen one of these in RL ever...I guess I'll have to go to the dealer in Eastchester to just look at one when I graduate from college after next semester....(knock on wood)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Not my Elise-it's at Rothrock with it's pants down.

Two words for Robert:

ROCK ON!!!:D :clap:

·
Registered
47 Posts
wallabyguy said:
As I drove East on the Pa Turnpike today around 2:00 pm, a Bordeaux Elise with Temp tags flew by doing about 90-100 mph. Anyone here?

Yeah!!! It was me! I was on my way home from Algar Ferrari, where I dropped off my former car, a 355, for its new buyer to pick up.

The Elise is one awesome ride.
Ron Dargenio

·
Registered
513 Posts
Re: Re: Spotted on the Pa Turnpike!

pinmagic said:
Hmmm...the word "responsible" doesn't seem to spring to mind. :rolleyes:
I'm really tired of people preaching on here :rolleyes:

Guess I won't be posting any of my adventures on here when mine finally arrives...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Re: Re: Spotted on the Pa Turnpike!

ron dargenio said:
Yeah!!! It was me! I was on my way home from Algar Ferrari, where I dropped off my former car, a 355, for its new buyer to pick up.

The Elise is one awesome ride.
Ron Dargenio
Why did you trade in the Ferrari? Kinda curious how much you got for it. Please when you get over 600 miles, it would be cool to hear a comparison to your old ride.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Spotted on the Pa Turnpike!

GabbaGabbaHey said:
Why did you trade in the Ferrari? Kinda curious how much you got for it. Please when you get over 600 miles, it would be cool to hear a comparison to your old ride.
Well, I've put on 350 miles in a few days.

First, I've always preferred light sports cars. My first car was a Triumph Spitfire...great fun but a total P.O.S. When the Elise first appeared in Europe a few years back I knew I'd want one as soon as they came to the US market.

After progressing through a series of Porsches from early 911 models through a 996 TT, what I realized is that the modern, heavier sports cars are quite insane when driven anywhere near the limit on local roads. There's a lot of technical innovation in tires/suspension and high horesepower to compensate for curb weights well above 3000 lbs., but the speeds at which driving fun begins are best reserved for racetracks. And the weight they have gained over the years really takes something away from the road feel that lighter cars used to offer.

The 355 is a beautiful car, with more "direct" handling and less bulky than a 996 TT, but it's still 3300 lbs with 385 HP. If I had to travel longer distances it would be far preferable to the Elise, but that's not what I use it for.

Sure, the Elise has incredible limits but because of its agilty it is a lot more fun to drive because you can use that agility on a winding public road.

The first link I am aware of when driving is the steering. The biggest disappointment I had with the Ferrari was a light-effort power steering that is put to shame by the Lotus. By the same token, the Elise makes every other car on the road feel like a bulky delivery van in comparison. I've driven Formula Fords at some of the race schools and the immediacy and feel of the Elise is the closest thing to those race cars. The Ferrari feels like a lumbering giant next to this car.

I think it's obvious to all of us that the Elise has rewritten the rules of the sports car game. Lotus has managed to go back to the original premise of the European sports car in the face of modern requirements. An outstanding achievement.
Ron Dargenio

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I can certainly relate that I've seen driving, and been driving, at speeds well in excess of ridiculously low posted limits, and felt safe, and have seen no accidents or close calls, whereas who does not everyday see absolute idiots on the road, a clear and present danger to the public, but driving below posted speeds.

So, it really is all very relative, and contextual, and often absurd.

The moralizing without knowing the specifics seems poorly placed.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Dan, I'm gonna buy you a beer someday. And Robert, next time I see you I WILL buy you a beer!

As for bad/dangerous driving, try dodging the blue hairs in their huge cars in PA. Good lord if there was a need for extra testing as you get older, PA is the place to start. There should also be a minimum intelligence test, too.

The other thing that bothers me is when you pass someone, and they either A) honk their horn at you, or B) put their brights on you. Like they should care that you're not behind them! I never understood that, except that perhaps these cretins are upset that they lost "control" of the flow of traffic. These are the same idiots that decide to speed up if someone tries to pass. Of course the Elise makes short work of these assholes.

I gotta get outta here.....:crazyeyes

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you know that PA is the second largest retirement state just behind FLA? I'm probably gonna get flamed for talking about old people.:p

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Need4Speed said:
The moralizing without knowing the specifics seems poorly placed.
Well, I didn't expect to make a lot of friends with my post, and I see I was right!

Honestly, tho -- and let me get a serious response here, rather than just flaming me for stating my opinion -- can anyone give me a single set of (reality-based) circumstances where it would be responsible to "play carrot" on the PA turnpike at "more than 120"? If you say that my posting was "poorly placed" cause I posted without "knowing all the specifics", please let me know any single scenario where my posting would be inaccurate. It's easy to flame in response, but I'm interested in a constructive dialogue -- maybe I'm missing something here.

Posting on this board is an invitation to dialogue. If the only acceptable response to any post is a hearty "way to go!", then we can all just put our keyboards on autopilot, and step away from the PC.

I respect the opinions of people on this board. Almost without exception, people here seem intelligent and mature. If I posted "hey guys, I had tons of fun shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater this weekend", I like to think that someone here would have the cajones to say "hey, maybe that's not such a good idea."

But maybe that's just me.

Flame suit on.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts