The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
For a while now I have been thinking about spraying my fuel door and bolts with flat black spray paint. I have black primer and flat black krylon paint for metal. I have used it in the past to pain the rear diffuser. It worked great for that but that is on the bottom of the car. It seems most people who have their fuel doors black (including from lotus) are powder coated.

Do you guys think I will have any issues? My two concerns are if gas gets on it and how it will respond to washing.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i sprayed myn, its stayed on no problem
I did the same thing to mine with no problems. Used Simple Green to clean it up good, let it dry, then sprayed away. Just for fun, then put gloss black die-cut Lotus logo in the center. Have received a compliments on the way it looks.

Andy

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the same thing to mine with no problems. Used Simple Green to clean it up good, let it dry, then sprayed away. Just for fun, then put gloss black die-cut Lotus logo in the center. Have received a compliments on the way it looks.

Andy
Mind posting a picture of this? I am curious to see.

Also, you guys have convinced me that it is safe, hope to do it this weekend.

Did you guys spary/dip your bolts to?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mind posting a picture of this? I am curious to see.

Also, you guys have convinced me that it is safe, hope to do it this weekend.

Did you guys spary/dip your bolts to?
I'll see what I can do to get a picture posted tonight. Didn't paint the bolts though. Just removed it from the car and masked it off real good.

Andy

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tried the painting this weekend, I couldn't get it to adhere to the metal well, I could scratch it right off. So I took it all back off again. I used am automotive primer and krylon paint. The problem i think is that i didnt rough up the door at all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well I tried the painting this weekend, I couldn't get it to adhere to the metal well, I could scratch it right off. So I took it all back off again. I used am automotive primer and krylon paint. The problem i think is that i didnt rough up the door at all.
Hmmm...I used flat black Krylon as well, but I don't recall priming it before. If I did, it would have been with an aluminum etching type of primer that I bought at Auto Zone, which I used on my diffuser.
One thing I do remember is that I painted it on a pretty warm day with low humidity. I also recall doing several very light coats, letting it dry in between each one. Is it possible you might have put it on too thick?
Good luck!

Andy

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm...I used flat black Krylon as well, but I don't recall priming it before. If I did, it would have been with an aluminum etching type of primer that I bought at Auto Zone, which I used on my diffuser.
One thing I do remember is that I painted it on a pretty warm day with low humidity. I also recall doing several very light coats, letting it dry in between each one. Is it possible you might have put it on too thick?
Good luck!

Andy
Too think is what I was thinking also. I did the diffuser the same way (sand, automotive primer, krylon paint) and it came out fine but it was a Huge piece compared to the door. So I am thinking I hit the door (specifically the main center part) to much each time. Some of the hard to get areas where I didnt spray to much didnt scrap off easily. I put it back on the car (had to take the sticker on inside of door off) And I think for now it will stay silver.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Breinhar, kings coatings in allentown powdercoated mine and did a really good job with it....all for 20 bucks. You can check it out this weekend.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Sprayed mine too. Looks just as good as powdercoated ones. Better than some.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Keep the aluminum, it is a nicer finish, billet look. Black maybe perceived as being a plastic cap, specially if it's flat black.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

Andy
Just for future reference, you should never use Simple Green on any aluminum parts. You may notice the discoloration on your fuel door surround (where the bolts are)...which is what can happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts