The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:If you enjoy your special color Lotus paint and you are a fanatic (like me) about a clean, detailed car, you have no love for sprinklers. When you park, you know sprinklers do to your paint and clearcoat! With the minerals, and bad stuff in the water covering your baby and baked-in for hours by the searing summer sun! AUGH!!!:eek:

My wife went to a weekend conference, so we washed her '03 Mercedes C230and it looks great. She babies her car, like I do for my Lotus.

Three days later she drives home and the hood , fender and wheel was BLASTED with sprinkler spray. Then baked-in by 100+F summer sun! It took hours to remove the crap! I tried water. It didn't touch those awful spots. Detail spray? Didn't budge. Finally, two passes of "CLAY" and elbow grease got it off! We're lucky, the sprinkler spray was recent (this morning). I've seen waterspots on other cars that were permanent!:no:

Business places (hotels, motels....anyplace that has to water that 2footx2foot patch of grass) don't care didly squat about your pristine car. Actually, some places turn on the sprinklers on purpose to defile your car and laugh in your face!

What a waste of water. What a waste of time for us to clean it up! If you don't do it soon, kiss your car's clear coat and paint good-bye!:mad:

So what? Terrorists are blowing up buildings and kill a dozen people a day. Sprinkler spray is not even worth talking about.

But it still makes me mad!:mad:

PREVENTION: When you park, scour the area for sprinklers. Don't think that they go on in the early morning before dawn. MOVE YOUR CAR.
If it happens, get the crap off IMMEDIATELY!!! Use water, clay and detail spray. If you wait too long, those waterspots will be PERMANENT!:mad:

HOW TO REMOVE WATERSPOTS. Detail spray and "clay" bar will help. Takes precious time, though.

ANY IDEAS TO REMOVE WATERSPOTS? ANY GOOD IDEAS??

On of these days, I'm going to sue the place that the sprinkler got my car. Just enough to cover the professional detailer ($150-$500). SO THERE.

RANT OFF

--Hal

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i try to keep my car sprinkler free, for the most part, i know where the sprinklers are on my driving routes or parking lots

and when at home i try to keep the car in the garage or at least as far away as i can from our home sprinklers

and i wax my car at least once a month just to keep up the paint

·
Registered
294 Posts
My problem is the sprinklers that go on at night flooding the street. I can be seen slowing down to 5-10 mph so my tires dont spray the water all over my car.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
A good coat of wax won't prevent the accumulation of minerals on the surface, but it WILL prevent same from getting to your clear coat. Right? Isn't that the whole idea of waxing your car?

xtn

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good coat of wax won't prevent the accumulation of minerals on the surface, but it WILL prevent same from getting to your clear coat. Right? Isn't that the whole idea of waxing your car?

xtn
I'm not sure about that, xtn. I think you're right that it will protect the clearcoat, but it's STILL difficult to get the waterspots off.:mad: Augh.

If you did NOT wax your car regularly, the waterspots will be permanent, turning your car to an unsightly leoapard paint! The sign of a homeless persons car!!!:eek:

--Hal

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Get some Zaino on those cars!
Just re-ordered yesterday- just shy of $200 worth. Best line of car care products I've ever found. I really don't even bother with anything else now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Skyvue- I was at Dentwerks recently (I know I sound like a commercial for these guys, but I have been REALLY pleased with them) and they were showing me the "industrial airplane" strength clearcoat that they use (this was on an M3) and raving about how well it rejects things like sprinkler water and anything else. You may want to check into it. It sounds like it will save you a lot of time. I have NO idea about the cost.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I park out in BFE at work to avoid the sprinklers. Not that my car is actually ever clean to be honest.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you did NOT wax your car regularly, the waterspots will be permanent, turning your car to an unsightly leoapard paint! The sign of a homeless persons car!!!:eek:

--Hal
Yep, nail on the head.

At last years LOG up in Aspen I remember seeing an Elise with water spots on it, the first thought that went through my mind, "damn, whoever owns this Lotus must be homeless". I was going to leave a $20 bill under the wiper blade to help him/her pay for gas/food/malt liquor but figured it would just get swiped by someone else.

:sheep:

Noble

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
See, my car never gets water-spotted. The secret is to not strip off those protective lavers of grime. Some people have Starshield, I have Dirtshield.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
See, my car never gets water-spotted. The secret is to not strip off those protective lavers of grime. Some people have Starshield, I have Dirtshield.
+2

i had to drive in the rain yesterday, which cleaned off some of my protective coating, not to mention the wind shield wiper came off again like it did in aspen.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I misread the title of this thread... I though it was a thread about sprinkles... like on cookies and cup cakes

my hopes have been dashed :(
I like cookies.

and pie.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wish I read your post earlier. I was a victim of sprinkler last Friday. I cannot even remove the spots from my car with clay bar.:wallbang::wallbang:

Now I learned to park far far away from sprinklers.

:mad:If you enjoy your special color Lotus paint and you are a fanatic (like me) about a clean, detailed car, you have no love for sprinklers. When you park, you know sprinklers do to your paint and clearcoat! With the minerals, and bad stuff in the water covering your baby and baked-in for hours by the searing summer sun! AUGH!!!:eek:

My wife went to a weekend conference, so we washed her '03 Mercedes C230and it looks great. She babies her car, like I do for my Lotus.

Three days later she drives home and the hood , fender and wheel was BLASTED with sprinkler spray. Then baked-in by 100+F summer sun! It took hours to remove the crap! I tried water. It didn't touch those awful spots. Detail spray? Didn't budge. Finally, two passes of "CLAY" and elbow grease got it off! We're lucky, the sprinkler spray was recent (this morning). I've seen waterspots on other cars that were permanent!:no:

Business places (hotels, motels....anyplace that has to water that 2footx2foot patch of grass) don't care didly squat about your pristine car. Actually, some places turn on the sprinklers on purpose to defile your car and laugh in your face!

What a waste of water. What a waste of time for us to clean it up! If you don't do it soon, kiss your car's clear coat and paint good-bye!:mad:

So what? Terrorists are blowing up buildings and kill a dozen people a day. Sprinkler spray is not even worth talking about.

But it still makes me mad!:mad:

PREVENTION: When you park, scour the area for sprinklers. Don't think that they go on in the early morning before dawn. MOVE YOUR CAR.
If it happens, get the crap off IMMEDIATELY!!! Use water, clay and detail spray. If you wait too long, those waterspots will be PERMANENT!:mad:

HOW TO REMOVE WATERSPOTS. Detail spray and "clay" bar will help. Takes precious time, though.

ANY IDEAS TO REMOVE WATERSPOTS? ANY GOOD IDEAS??

On of these days, I'm going to sue the place that the sprinkler got my car. Just enough to cover the professional detailer ($150-$500). SO THERE.

RANT OFF

--Hal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts