The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a REV400 kit on my elise, and it is AWESOME. It idles great and has no problems starting. The only problem I am having is sputter / hesitation in the lower rpms, once it gets past 4.5k it seems ok and makes power. It will still accelerate but is not great to drive off a stop. Car has 31k on it, REV400, lightweight flywheel and act XT clutch.

Couple things I have checked so far:
Cleaned MAF sensor
Throttle cable
ground on the cylinder head
battery connections
Spark plugs (look fine)

Video of low rpm heavy throttle in 6th

Video of unloaded revs at idle

Any advice on things to check is much appreciated. Even if it may seem stupid please tell me to check it anyway as I may have forgotten something easy / obvious.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
Definitely not right. Have you checked for codes? I'm inclined to think vacuum leak or sensor issue. What else to engine have you done besides the REV400? Were all other mods noted on your ECU tune sheet?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Throttle position sensor, while its getting more air. Computer is trying to register o2 readings. When its cold its not taking coolant sensor readings, does anything change.
Is there a different tune, or throttle body for charged?

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
Im also thinking sensor issue, not sure which one though.
That's why I had asked about OBD codes to see if anything stood out.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I’m having a similar issue with my rev400. Seems ok if go through the gears from a stop but if I’m cruising and floor it it sputters around the 3k rpm range for a second or two then recovers. Plugs and coils have been replaced. Cleaned Maf. Made sure my air intake hose wasn’t pointed down. Next I’ll be inspecting the filter itself. Been chatting with @teriadams who seems to be having our same issue as well. Just been putting up with it for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,603 Posts
Did the low rpm running ruff issue happen at the same time as the REV400 install or did it run fine and is just now giving you problems? How did you fill out the tune sheet? I’m curious related to cam as you say it is running fine over 4500 and that is near the new cam change over point. Have you reached out to BOE?

·
Registered
2005 Elise
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the low rpm running ruff issue happen at the same time as the REV400 install or did it run fine and is just now giving you problems? How did you fill out the tune sheet? I’m curious related to cam as you say it is running fine over 4500 and that is near the new cam change over point. Have you reached out to BOE?
It was running good before the install. The only mods done are the REV400 kit, clutch and flywheel.
Ill reach out to them tomorrow

Are you saying you installed the kit but didn’t get your ECU tuned? I thought the rev400 idle point is set at 1050-1100?
Like I said, it idles great, like it should. I did send my ecu in for a tune.

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
At this point being a new install I would reach out to Andrew with a call and email if you haven't already done so. They're hard to get a hold of sometimes so leave VP and EM and follow up with a mid morning call.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Coil pack wires on wrong? Sounds crazY..... But I've done it before.
Thanks for the suggestion, they are on correctly.

Check that the vvtli selonoids are plugged in especially the one one the intake manifold side thats removed during the install
This is what i was thinking, they are plugged in, not sure if something might be wrong with them though

not sure if this is helpful, but i have this hissing from the intake at idle, almost like there is a lot of air being sucked in, let me know what you all think

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,894 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, they are on correctly.

This is what i was thinking, they are plugged in, not sure if something might be wrong with them though

not sure if this is helpful, but i have this hissing from the intake at idle, almost like there is a lot of air being sucked in, let me know what you all think

That’s normal....it’s air being sucked in lol.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s normal....it’s air being sucked in lol.
Yeah, I just was wondering if it was supposed to be that loud at idle, perhaps using more air and fuel than it should be at idle. just trying to rule anything out.

Thanks for your vote that it is normal though.

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
Thanks for posting the resolution for all to see.

Reactions: DAaaMan64

·
Registered
459 Posts
Did others find this solution from Mr E as "the" solution? I'm having the same problem. I have the REV400 kit also and I bought a rebuild kit for the injectors as Andrew from BOE said that mine may have been the older design. The newer design is supposed to push them more against the fuel rail - for a better seal. But it looks like from what Mr E shows that I suppose it can get pushed up too much. I don't know if thats the case on situation - I guess I can try to take a part to see (I was initially reluctant to do fuel injector work as while I'm handy, I hadn't done before but I think there are some posts that show some details on how to do it).

My question - it seemed that others were also having this problem but no one else chimed into to say that this was indeed their problem (or if not, their solution).

I was at the point of about to send my ECU (hopefully not my car) to BOE. I had downloaded the tune but got a new computer and now can't get their software to work on the computer so can't redownload. Not that I would expect downloading the same tune again would help but I figured if there is a new update from them I don't have a way to download it yet. As usual, yes, they are hard to get a hold of. Phil had suggested to send the ECU to them a few weeks ago but I hadn't had a chance to clean the MAF sensor yet and wanted to try that first. Did that, no help.

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
Did others find this solution from Mr E as "the" solution? I'm having the same problem. I have the REV400 kit also and I bought a rebuild kit for the injectors as Andrew from BOE said that mine may have been the older design. The newer design is supposed to push them more against the fuel rail - for a better seal. But it looks like from what Mr E shows that I suppose it can get pushed up too much. I don't know if thats the case on situation - I guess I can try to take a part to see (I was initially reluctant to do fuel injector work as while I'm handy, I hadn't done before but I think there are some posts that show some details on how to do it).

My question - it seemed that others were also having this problem but no one else chimed into to say that this was indeed their problem (or if not, their solution).

I was at the point of about to send my ECU (hopefully not my car) to BOE. I had downloaded the tune but got a new computer and now can't get their software to work on the computer so can't redownload. Not that I would expect downloading the same tune again would help but I figured if there is a new update from them I don't have a way to download it yet. As usual, yes, they are hard to get a hold of. Phil had suggested to send the ECU to them a few weeks ago but I hadn't had a chance to clean the MAF sensor yet and wanted to try that first. Did that, no help.
So your ECU was never sent to BOE? Were you one of the early adapter and bought Fastworks? Has yours ever run correctly after the REV install? Sounds like maybe you bought Fastworks and downloaded your tune. They don't support FW any more. IF it did run correctly and this is a new problem I would look other than than the ECU. Check for vacuum leaks, dirty MAF.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts