Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
good find!

front: ugly RX-8, those front bubble wheel arches are really ugly.

back: same ol' crap

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have seen those pics floating around. It looks like a standard MX-5 with a RX-8 front end grafted on. I personally don't think this is anything what the next Miata will look like. The other concept they have shown to be the next possible Miata was butt ugly too. I will look around for it...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Donovan said:
I have seen those pics floating around. It looks like a standard MX-5 with a RX-8 front end grafted on. I personally don't think this is anything what the next Miata will look like.
I hope you're right, but the article claims:

"Here are photos of a first prototype mule of the current Miata's successor during tests at Germany's Nürburgring. To judge from the prototype's front end, the new model is likely to resemble the RX-8, with a styling only moderately like last year's Ibuki concept car. "

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found these...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
"with a styling only moderately like last year's Ibuki concept car. "

That was the car I was referring to. It was way ugly. The car shown doesn't have any of the styling elements from that concept car. I have a feeling that this thing is disguised like this to test some internal stuff.

Regardless I bet it will be cool - it almost has to be with upcoming competition from the Solstice and the likes.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
side by side

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree it doesnt look like the concept car...another pic...

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I think the white car is sporting some RX8 fenders as a disguise. The proportions are way off. There is no way that is correct. The silver concept looks right.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Hey Huggy, out of curiousity which car do you drive now?

BTW, I agree with Shinoo. The test cars don't have any body panels from the next Miata.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
shinoo said:
I think the white car is sporting some RX8 fenders as a disguise. The proportions are way off. There is no way that is correct. The silver concept looks right.
Looks more like someone from a Miata forum photo-chopped it as an attempt to fool people, or maybe as a joke? :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The picture of the silver car was debunked long ago on Miata.net. Someone found the original image, which was some sort of family sedan. It was created by Brenda Priddy, who seems to make up stuff like this all the time.

The white car is a 2nd generation Miata. It's got some really poorly-fitting body panels covering the front end. Under all that garbage, the headlights are still the stock 2001-2004 projector lamps. I don't know why they would bother disguising a current production vehicle, unless they just want to throw off the rumor-hounds. Or maybe they want to get some feedback on what people think about making the Miata front end look like an RX-8. Maybe they're covering up some custom body work for a last-year-kick-in-the-pants special edition of the NB Miata to keep sales going while people are waiting for the NC.

Finally, the Ibuki was a design exercise meant to get the designers' creativity warmed up for doing the next generation Miata. I'm sure that they came up with some good ideas while working on it. But it's been stated that the Ibuki is not the prototype for the next generation Miata (which is why they named it "Ibuki" instead of "Miata").

So I think that none of these represents what the next Miata will look like. I hope that it's closer to the Ibuki than the other two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts