The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Spyker and Lotus have now come to the conclusion that they need to intensify their cooperation to the point that we intend to share parts and platforms, as well as an agreement on the supply of parts.
Does this mean that the two companies would share the platform that cars are built on? meaning that both companies would have cars built on the same base car with their own differences. sorry if its a stupid question, i'm just trying to understand what the agreement means, and how much will be shared.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Very cool news! Maybe Lotus can take some cues re: interior design from them! :)

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It looks like Spyker showed up at Lotus' loft and awkwardly handed her some flowers. Lotus then gave Spyker the grand tour around the place. The cat took a swipe at Spyker's eyes. "Yeah, he'll do that sometimes." Lotus said. Then she showed off a lame box of bamboo sticks she bought at Pier One Imports. "I'm not sure what they mean, but they look nice." she said. She then suggested the two go to Sluggo's Tavern where her friends were laying in wait to judge Spyker from across the room. "Oh, look! My friends are here! What a surprise!" Lotus then spent the next hour and a half talking to her friends and giggling at inside jokes, while Spyker stood outside the circle. After paying the tab for her and her friends, Spyker bites his tongue as Lotus decides she needs to go back to her friend's house because "We haven't seen each other in ages. I'll call you, OK? Bye!"

The two were never seen together again.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lotus has been marketing their VVA architecture for years now. The Elise chassis is being used by several companies. The technology by a few more. If you assume that the VVA architecture will underpin the new Esprit, based on manufacturing numbers, it would make sense if Lotus was able to share the cost with Spyker who would build their own car off the platform. Also note, that dispite what has been reported, the Elise architecture, which is not the VVA, can not easily be widened. The Eagle project is obviously a wider car thus we can assume that some derivative of the VVA is being used. Again, the more cars that use the architecture, the cheaper they are to build and develop. An extremely important concern for a small specialty comapny.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree they have been marketing their VVA architecture for years now. The new upcoming "ethos" or whatever final name is will be the first new car on this new technology and the Esprit the next. The Lotus created and designed VVA architecture is very accomodating to small, medium, large and even suv type vehicles.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesus no.
agreed. Spyker never really did anything for me. I think tis is a great way for Lotus to have a decent income and subsidized development of future products and Spyker to final obtain chassis and handling technology its sorely needed.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
At least both companies have one thing in common.. They are usually on the brink of financial disaster and ruin :D

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I sure hope Lotus doesn't take any designing cues from Spyker - I think they're one of the most hideous cars ever to be produced.
+1
If anything I hope Spyker takes some interior cues from Lotus. I can't stand looking at Spyker interiors. Way too blingy for my taste. Their interiors remind me of old school pimp mobiles

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
what is VVA?
I think it is "variable vehicle architecture" which is basically a modular chassis design that will allow Lotus to build multiple models without huge design changes - critical for a small car company. They have shopped it to other mfg's who like the idea of starting with a lightweight design.

With the EPA regs really looming, I could see them selling the VVA technology to a lot of mfgs

1 - 20 of 38 Posts