The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
automotive news had an Elise blurb today. What happens if they don't get it (I saw the Federal Register article posted previously).

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=45701

Lotus seeks exemption from U.S. safety rules

By Harry Stoffer
Automotive News / October 27, 2003

WASHINGTON -- Group Lotus PLC wants a three-year exemption from some U.S. safety standards so that it can bring its four-cylinder mid-engine Elise to the United States next year.

Lotus says it has spent $27 million to make the Elise meet U.S. regulations but cannot afford further changes for headlight and bumper standards. It says that a newly engineered Elise, due in 2006, would meet all standards.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are you guys sure that is the US spec? I thought the rear exhaust had been moved into the center. It does not look that way in the pictures. Even so....god is this car sexy! There is nothing even rear this price point that has these kinds of looks. Nothing but grey and rain here in the 'burgh. Hurry up summer...hurry!!!!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It's a test car for sure, ther rear exhaust can be seen exiting out of the rear diffuser in the center, but difficult to see from that view. A better pic is in the November R & T ( link to online article is posted on this site in the R&T thread). You can also see the blanked out circles on each side of the licence plate to fill the original hole from the s2 exhausts (purely for testing purposes.)

drrjv,
Most of us are assuming it's probably a done deal and had already pretty much been ok, certainly wouldn't have waited until this late stage if it was an issue.

Chris
PS>The rear exit exhaust look pretty cool in person, not that noticeable unless behind the car.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I preferred the Euro exhaust. I was sexy. An exhaust underneath the are is pretty normal by comparison.

I do like the fact that the bottoms of all Elise are totally covered for aerodynamics. This is usually only done on high-end sports cars... Pretty cool:)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
I agree. I think the euro exhaust looks better. But look at the potential bright side; ours may exit the center for enhanced performance!

Plus we get a Sport Exhaust as standard (according to our main man, Clyde)

At least that's the way I'm rationalizing it....

·
Registered
368 Posts
mapes said:
I agree. I think the euro exhaust looks better. But look at the potential bright side; ours may exit the center for enhanced performance!

Plus we get a Sport Exhaust as standard (according to our main man, Clyde)

At least that's the way I'm rationalizing it....
I know that R&T magazine's recent review of the Elise says that the US Spec Elise will have a different exhaust pattern, but a couple of days ago at Autostrada in Austin, TX I noticed their car to have the Euro Exhaust pattern. Maybe it's b/c it's their test car, solely for customers to test drive.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
The cars at Autostrada are the Euro cars. You will not see a US Toyota powered Elise until after the LA Auto Show.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
mapes said:
... and it appears to fire downward which is good for keeping decibel levels down at tracks with noise limits (for those of us who will be removing the cats for track days. :))

·
Registered
302 Posts
BrianK said:
... and it appears to fire downward which is good for keeping decibel levels down at tracks with noise limits (for those of us who will be removing the cats for track days. :))
Cat, what's a cat? Were you referring to an exhaust blocking semi-porous brick?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
CAT:
Pronunciation: 'kat
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English catt, probably from Late Latin cattus, catta cat
Date: before 12th century
1 a : a carnivorous mammal (Felis catus) long domesticated as a pet and for catching rats and mice b : any of a family (Felidae) of carnivorous usually solitary and nocturnal mammals (as the domestic cat, lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, cougar, wildcat, lynx, and cheetah)
2 : a malicious woman
3 : a strong tackle used to hoist an anchor to the cathead of a ship

----------------
If one of the carnivorous feline type comes anywhere near my car, it's going to be found in the dictionary under DEAD. Cats... ugh.

Cade

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
No cats. BTW they can be a carrier for SARS virus asymptomatically, the data came out only a day or so ago.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
A while ago, I had purchased a beautiful black 2001 Mustang Cobra, brand new. The morning after I brought it home and washed and waxed it, I walked outside to find muddy cat paw prints all over my hood... Along with nice white scratches down the hood where it slipped and tried to hang on. (oh, and I DID have a cover on the car, it jumped up under the cover.) I don't really have much of a problem with cats, its the owners that let their cats run around all over the neighborhood. Although, I do disagree with people who think cats are smarter than dogs. I have had several of each, and cats seem brain damaged compared to dogs, IMO. (And my ferrets are a heck of a lot smarter, too.) Anyways, to avoid hijacking this thread any worse than I already have, I'll end my rant with this... Any cats that even CONSIDER setting foot on my Elise had best think again. (Hear me cats? are you listening?)

Geez, I sound like such a raving lunatic. :D

Cade

1 - 20 of 27 Posts