The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
very simple and lightweight solution for all the squeaks and rattles in the interior.
JVCC FELT-09 Polyester Felt Tape (4mm thick felt): 1 in. x 50 ft. (Black) - Amazon.com

I put this on all the spots that aluminum & plastic rubs and rattle: between binnacle and dash, plastic rear speaker panel edges, lower access panels, and under the side sills. Very effective in getting rid of any noises that make the car sound like a kit car, the adhesive is very very good at attaching to even the low surface energy plastic of the dash...and it only adds a few ounces to do the entire car!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With plastic panels, you can usually push or tap on the area where the noise comes from. There is usually some rub marks on the aluminum where it contacts the plastic. You can afford to be generous with the material because you get so much of it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I've done this with some rubber but it kept vibrating out. My interior rattles too much. Maybe take some more photos in between the seats and a few other spots. Curious how it looks and where you had to put it. Thanks

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i buy rolls of adhesive backed velcro cheap - use the soft fuzzy side. Same result.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup that works great on flat surfaces but the felt is much thinner and more flexible so you can use it on irregular surfaces and wrap it around edges.
I'll do some pics to show where I've put the felt but I suspect it may be different fir reach car. The pieces I listed are pretty much all the ones that can make noise afaik.

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
I did this to the top of the exige hatch near the hinges.

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
Did it help?
yes. I put about a 2" piece of foam weatherstrip underneath the hatch where it would touch the clam. On left and right side, just outside of the hinges, close to where the top corners of the hatch curve.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yes. I put about a 2" piece of foam weatherstrip underneath the hatch where it would touch the clam. On left and right side, just outside of the hinges, close to where the top corners of the hatch curve.
Tks a lot, i will try that next week !

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to help a buddy do that on his Lotus.. I'll take some better pics then.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
+1 on the foam weatherstrip - great on the clam (hinge) contact points too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts