The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so a year ago I noticed an intermittent squeal that I never got a chance to track down because the car's been in the shop since then. A couple days ago, I drove it for the first time in 11 months and the squeal was consistent enough to figure out the pattern:

It is mostly rpm-dependent, so I am thinking serpentine belt. With the motor warm, it starts squealing around 3-4k rpm regardless of load. I have 47,000 miles and no supercharger. Don't ask if the belt is cracked - I had the car for about 12hrs before returning it for the remaining work and most of my time was spent chasing other things so I can't attest to the quality of the belt. The sound doesn't change with load and is kinda audible at idle when cold. Doesn't change when I hit the AC either. It seems like the belt isn't too hard to change from what I've read on here, but I just don't have any time for trial and error given that I am 600 miles from the car and picking it up soon. I'll only have a couple days with it before the long drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
It's the belt and fairly easy to change. Make a lacing diagram for all pulleys before you start. Someone posted a how to video a couple days ago.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the belt and fairly easy to change. Make a lacing diagram for all pulleys before you start. Someone posted a how to video a couple days ago.

I was just looking at that thread, so I caught how import the diagram is!

What actually makes the squeaking noise when a belt is going out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
First lets just say the 2zz tensioner is pretty inadequate. Then we can say the fibers bonding the belt together break down from tension and heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts