The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: I've been lurking for a while but now I have a squeaky steering issue that I need to figure out...

After doing a track day a couple weeks ago I am getting some squeaking when I turn the steering wheel. It also squeaks a bit when I go over speed bumps. I took a look in the drive side wheel well and the gaiter looks all mangled.

I'm going to work on it this weekend, any other things I should look at when I'm in there? :shrug:

-Gordon

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine occasionally squeaks from the foam seal around the steering shaft where it goes through the firewall. It goes away for while if I lubricate it but always seems to return. Just something else to check.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am Squeaky steering on MY08 ExigeS, too...
Especially in slow turn
I doesn't have time to lube the steering shaft yet

Definitely let us know

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I don't have an answer on the squeaking steering, but a mangled gaiter needs to be corrected before it gets torn and allows dirt into the steering rack. If you had your car aligned and they did not release the clips that hold the gaiters to the tie rods during the alignment, the gaiters will get twisted up and distorted. If they are left that way, they will develop tears in a very short period of time so be sure to get in there, release the clips, spin the gaiters back to their normal position and shape and reapply the clips.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have been trying to locate the exact source of my squeak for a while now. Identical symptoms as well. Curious how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i the gaiter is not ripped but it still looks all messed up. it doesn't accordion like the driver side one. I'm gonna replace it so it looks nicer :p

I think the squeaking is coming from part 22 or part 4 should i replace them? do these fail often?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts