The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a few weeks I occasionally hear a squealing /chirping noise from the engine bay. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not - in any case it is dependent of Engine RPM and it's there no matter if the clutch is pressed or not or if a gear is engaged or not, also independent of vehicle speed.

My mech said it's most probably a problem with the compressor's idler pulleys. He has submitted a warranty request and is waiting for the parts to arrive. In the meantime, the noise got worse: It's now there almost all the time and also louder.
So I wanted to ask if someone else had that problem and if there is possibly some easy temporary fix for that? I'm now worried to continue driving with that car, if the pulley bearing (?) fails engine would stop (could also happen when overtaking, bad timing ...)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Engine would not stop...only the accessories being turned by that belt that pulley is keeping tension on would stop turning...

If all that is on that belt is your A/C, like your mechanic says, I would go back to him and tell him to take that belt off so you could drive that car in piece until your warranty parts arrive...you don't need A/C this time of year anyway.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, by compressor I meant supercharger - in German one says Kompressor so sorry about the mistake ... :)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
We've several compressors on our engines... I'd replace that bearing myself with a ceramic bearing and never have that problem again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would drive the GT/R untill fixed. Nothing worse than messing up the engine. Plus its winter and the GTR is 4x4

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lotus has fantastic traction on snow.
Yeah but you're right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My car did the same thing. It made a chirping noise if I didn't give it enough throttle when taking off. I found out I am missing 6 bolts holding the plates up under my car, and the chirping is the plates bouncing against each other. 1 zip tie fixed it until I can get the bolts in!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts