The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the engine and got a new throw out bearing (from JAE) last year. For the past year it's been fine, but suddenly i am getting a high pitched squeal from the engine compartment.

- If I tap the clutch pedal (without any force at all, basically just taking the play out of the pedal), I can change the squeal's pitch.

- If I push the clutch in about 1/2" past the pedal slack, it completely goes away.

I cant imagine that a one-year old throwout bearing (less than 2k miles since) would give up already? This is an '88 with Citroen transmission.

Any other thoughts? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
This sounds more like a transmission input bearing than a problem in the clutch. Check the transmission fluid level. BTW, you did do the pilot bearing mod right? If not you may be screwing the input shaft into the crank.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did replace the pilot bearing as well during the rebuild... but what's the "pilot bearing mod?"

Fluid level is good, that was the first thing I checked.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If I push the clutch in about 1/2" past the pedal slack, it completely goes away.

If you push the clutch, it gives a load to the throw out bearing & the noise goes away.
Hopefuly it's just the spring that holds the throw out bearing making noise when your foot is resting.
Drive a little bit more ... hopefuly it goes away but if not you might need to open it up again.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I hate to keep coming back to clutch hydraulics but I have to! I had a slight, random chirping noise from my system too when my slave and master went bad. It was worse when cold. Due to the insufficient plunger/pedal return movement because of worn out hydraulics, I dont think my TO bearing was fully releasing the clutch so it would leave the system just slightly engaged sometimes. chirp, chirp, chirp. :(

Sure enough - brand new hydraulics & bleed = Chirp and shifting issues GONE. pedal feel = terrific.

If those units are older or you dont know when they were replaced it might be time. No way a TO bearing is gone that quick unless something was wrong with it to begin with!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've ordered a new slave cylinder. I'm not convinced that's the issue, but I know I haven't touched the slave since I bought the car, and it's worth doing.

Any other thoughts still welcome! Thanks again everyone.

·
Wingless Wonder
5,396 Posts
Rob

David T. has been listening to my crying when MY input shaft screwed itself into the crank. :( For me there was NO warning.

TADTS

I guess I made an impression. :panic:

The "Pilot Bearing Mod" replaces the open-roller input bearing (and the hardened "seat" that fits onto the tip of the clutch shaft) with a proper dual-race roller bearing.

This is what the Renault-transmissioned Esprits use.

The crank needs to be removed and machined for this mod.

Did you replace the nylatron washer when you had the engine out???

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely replaced the nylon washer, but didn't know anything about the dual-race roller bearing? Boo.

I'll let yz know what I find after I get under and do some more investigating. Thanks everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts