The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SRS airbag expert needed.

Airbag light came on (Evora).
The only change I've made is moving the steering wheel nearer to me on its adjustment.

I have a code reader (Autel) for srs and can communicate via the obd port. SRS reads no fault found. Reset to clear codes doesn't work.

Confounding and perhaps irrelevant info.

I recently changed the seats and removed the seatbelt and put it back. That was a few weeks ago and no problems have shown.

The handbrake has reached the end of it's travel and needs the cables adjusting. (I believe there is a connection between the handbrake and power to other systems).

Anyone had similar.
Anyone know where to start looking for the unrecorded fault that keeps the srs light alive?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I seem to remember a specific hand held code reader needed to be used for airbag codes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tye-Bo. I have the Autel reader and it connects to the airbag system. Unfortunately it doesn't find anything amiss. I have also used it to clear codes that may not be showing, but that also fails. I still have a solid red light.

I think now I just have to find all the connectors (yellow) and ensure they are cleaned and reconnected. I can then rest the srs ecu with the autel and see how that goes. It's a fairly straightforward system in that there is the central ecu and then a number of connections to seat belts, air bags, and motion sensors. I just need to find and check all connections.

Has anyone had an airbag ecu fail?

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I bought my S1 it had a red airbag light on, and it turned out to be a frayed wire for the passenger airbag. I re-routed the wire and taped it up to keep it from contacting anything and that took car of the light on mine. It was about 3" away from the passenger airbag that had the issue on the instrument panel harness.

Reactions: bruss

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks Tye-Bo. I have the Autel reader and it connects to the airbag system. Unfortunately it doesn't find anything amiss. I have also used it to clear codes that may not be showing, but that also fails. I still have a solid red light.

I think now I just have to find all the connectors (yellow) and ensure they are cleaned and reconnected. I can then rest the srs ecu with the autel and see how that goes. It's a fairly straightforward system in that there is the central ecu and then a number of connections to seat belts, air bags, and motion sensors. I just need to find and check all connections.

Has anyone had an airbag ecu fail?
The reader that can clear it won't actually read faults (to my knowledge). It just lets you clear them. If you clear them and it persists, you probably actually have a connector issue that is common on these cars. It's usually the passenger side and if I recall is reachable by removing the glove box without disassembling the dash. The connector is a bit finicky and the fix is kind of slightly bending the contact so that it fits snugly and using some of the magic Lotus prescribed contact cleaner/anti-oxidizer juice. Once you fix that you just clear the code and you should be good. If it continues, you'd have to find a tech center to actually read the specific fault.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I'm going to be replacing the stereo head unit, so I'll do this at the same time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Airbag light now cleared. It turned out to be a dodgy connector. Above and behind the glovebox. Disconnect, cleaned and plugged back in.
All good.
For reference the Autel maxilink m629 communicates with the srs ecu. Daewoo, 2009 or 2011, Epica.
It also has a full connection to the lotus sensors via the obd port.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts