The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While thinking about my ride height adjustment on my track pack car, I have a question about the legality of the Penske/Olin shocks?

If you do not have a track pack option on the car, does it mean the shocks has to set the car at the sportpack/base height (130mm) because there is no provision for a sport pack/base car for that kind of ride height adjustment in the factory manual. Is this a correct assessment?

Also when I am installing my BWR swaybar, the trackpack has a different mounting location than the sportpack/base. Is that mean if you "convert" your base/sportpack car into a trackpack spec for the ride height adjustment(and shorter spring?), you will have change the swaybar mounting to the chassis also, along with the factory harness bar + Oil cooler?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Can you be a bit more clear about what car/options you have? Then the answers will come...maybe I'm stupid, but I can't really figure it out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jer - My car have trackpack option with LSD. I think the option includes, dual-oil cooler, 10-way adjustable Bilstien , adjustable swaybar with the funny bushing and harness bar. (Fuel starvation and bad brakes too if that counts. :rolleyes:)

I think that is. You've seen my car at Topeka. The 2nd heaviest car besides yours. :wallbang:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like swaybar mount is free. :)

Quote from the SCCA forum
"Since you can add a swaybar to a car that never had one, you are not limited to stock holes for attachment. BUT, and a big BUT, the swaybar mount can serve no other purpose, so no connecting subframes or other fun parts."

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
1) Yes. Threaded body shocks can be used on a car which came with fixed spring seats, but you must set the spring seats to the same distance from the mounting point as on the stock shocks.

2) To do the conversion, you would have to duplicate the mounting point of the new package. But you would not have to use it, since the rules allow you to remove, add, or change swaybars, and create your own mounting points.

Are both mounting points present on both packages?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) Yes. Threaded body shocks can be used on a car which came with fixed spring seats, but you must set the spring seats to the same distance from the mounting point as on the stock shocks.
"Stock" as in the original shock that the car came with right? Trackpack option has the ability to lower the ride height from the description in the factory manual, but not for other base/LSS model. So theoratically there is no allowance for a non-trackpack car to lower their ride height or coner balance even with an SS legal shocks body, unless you make a package conversion? (e.g. add the etc oil cooler and Lotus harness bar perhaps?)

2) To do the conversion, you would have to duplicate the mounting point of the new package. But you would not have to use it, since the rules allow you to remove, add, or change swaybars, and create your own mounting points.

Are both mounting points present on both packages?
Yes, and no. The base model uses an extra backing plate and a mounting collar and the trackpack only utilizing the A-arm bolt.

I think my car have those holes pre-drilled on the fame/panel for mounting the backing plate and the collar. I am not 100% certain at this point. I do noticed a couple of holes where the standard bracket "supposed" to be, but without mounting hardwares.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Because your car came with trackpack adjustable perches, you have the ability to move them around however you want. If you have a fixed end, that perch distance must remain the same as when it came from the factory. I had to do what John mentioned, putting Ohlins on which come with a threaded end and measuring to ensure my perch distances matched the LSS shock distances. You have much more adjustablility.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Jer - My car have trackpack option with LSD. I think the option includes, dual-oil cooler, 10-way adjustable Bilstien , adjustable swaybar with the funny bushing and harness bar. (Fuel starvation and bad brakes too if that counts. :rolleyes:)

I think that is. You've seen my car at Topeka. The 2nd heaviest car besides yours. :wallbang:
I hated being heavy but my engine cutoff issues were more scary than an extra 50 pounds. Now, my MR2 can run with a thimble of gas left in the tank. It's the damnest thing LOL.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hated being heavy but my engine cutoff issues were more scary than an extra 50 pounds. Now, my MR2 can run with a thimble of gas left in the tank. It's the damnest thing LOL.
Yes my engine still cut off from time to time (even at 3/4 of a tank). My MR2 can ran all the way with the fuel light on. No problem. :) (Although I ran BS before )

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
So theoretically there is no allowance for a non-trackpack car to lower their ride height or coner balance even with an SS legal shocks body, unless you make a package conversion?
Correct.

(e.g. add the etc oil cooler and Lotus harness bar perhaps?)
You'd have to do everything that came with the track pack -- Rear toe link brace, track pack springs, and there were some unconfirmed mumblings about the roll structure being different material in addition to having the mounting point for a diagonal brace.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes my engine still cut off from time to time (even at 3/4 of a tank). My MR2 can ran all the way with the fuel light on. No problem. :) (Although I ran BS before )
Hey Ambrose!

I've run the Elise down to less than a full bar, and we still haven't had starvation problems. I wonder what causes it? We' re still paranoid just from all the stories we've heard so we try to stay around 2 bars.

It's funny you mention the MR2. I used to have a 91 NA, and I also co-drove a Spyder for awhile. I'm assuming you are talking about a Gen 1 or Gen 2 car, because when I ran the Spyder, we had to have about a half tank of gas to avoid fuel starvation on long right-handers! I used to run my 91 on fumes all the time.

Will we see you in Packwood this year? Hope you are well. :coolnana:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correct.

You'd have to do everything that came with the track pack -- Rear toe link brace, track pack springs, and there were some unconfirmed mumblings about the roll structure being different material in addition to having the mounting point for a diagonal brace.

Wait, I thought the LSS suspension has a two-position adjustable spring perch height. Can't you set your threaded spring perches at the lower setting? I don't recall if they came on the high or low setting from the factory...

·
Registered
246 Posts
midship said:
So theoretically there is no allowance for a non-trackpack car to lower their ride height or coner balance even with an SS legal shocks body, unless you make a package conversion?
John- I think this might be misleading. Ride height has some flexibility in stock. The shock dimensions can be +/- 1". Gas pressure is open. Both of these items effect ride height.

I think the answer is there are allowances to lower ride height and maybe even corner balance a non-trackpack car with SS legal shocks. For sure its not as easy vs. a trackpack car.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There is no allowance to change the spring seat height relative to the mounting hole/surface. That's what I took Ambrose's question to mean.

You're right, gas pressure is a legal means to influence ride height. The allowance for the shock overall extended length has no effect on ride height.

The lower spring seat location on the sport pack shocks is a good question. If the owner's manual or shop manual describes using the lower setting for normal street (not competition) use, then it is allowed to be used on a sport package car. Nothing in between would be allowed, however.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Ambrose!

I've run the Elise down to less than a full bar, and we still haven't had starvation problems. I wonder what causes it? We' re still paranoid just from all the stories we've heard so we try to stay around 2 bars.

It's funny you mention the MR2. I used to have a 91 NA, and I also co-drove a Spyder for awhile. I'm assuming you are talking about a Gen 1 or Gen 2 car, because when I ran the Spyder, we had to have about a half tank of gas to avoid fuel starvation on long right-handers! I used to run my 91 on fumes all the time.

Will we see you in Packwood this year? Hope you are well. :coolnana:
Hey Brian, I am good! (stop learning too fast, I can't keep up :panic:) I couldn't figure out starvation either... :confused: Mark Snell suggested that "might" be because of bad grounding? On the line of grounding thru the gas/gas tank? :shrug: IIRC, most of the starvation were hard left turn coming out of the corner => WOT => nothing.

We are already planning our road trip to Packwood this year - (for our annual beat down by you guys :rolleyes: ) We are thinking of coming to your regional in June too.

There is no allowance to change the spring seat height relative to the mounting hole/surface.
John - yes, that was what I meant. :)

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Wait, I thought the LSS suspension has a two-position adjustable spring perch height. Can't you set your threaded spring perches at the lower setting? I don't recall if they came on the high or low setting from the factory...
They come on the lower ride height setting.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Hijack-sorry.

Just an FYI, Ambrose-my issues seemed to go away when I went to 50-15 racing oil and overfilled the oil by a 1/2 quart. The thought process was that it was actually the lower oil sensor getting uncovered in left handed sweepers, and the ECU, sensing a loss of oil, cut the motor. Another possibility at the time was that a leaky battery was causing the ECU to sense a voltage loss under braking (ABS volt suckage) but I really think it was the oil issue. I know that after I did the oil thing, I never again had engine cutout issues, even though I was always in fear of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hijack-sorry.

Just an FYI, Ambrose-my issues seemed to go away when I went to 50-15 racing oil and overfilled the oil by a 1/2 quart. The thought process was that it was actually the lower oil sensor getting uncovered in left handed sweepers, and the ECU, sensing a loss of oil, cut the motor. Another possibility at the time was that a leaky battery was causing the ECU to sense a voltage loss under braking (ABS volt suckage) but I really think it was the oil issue. I know that after I did the oil thing, I never again had engine cutout issues, even though I was always in fear of it.
Thanks Jer! I will give it a try on my next oil change, and report back on this. (no problem on over filling??) I think my battery is still good (touch wood touch wood rotfl)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
No problem on overfilling. I just made sure I was always above the fill line. Thicker oil theoretically meant less sloshing around, and synthetic 15-50 seemed perfect for a high revving engine in hot weather.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts