1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I went with a far less expensive Ebay kit, installation was standard, cost was a third of the kit you found.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a far less expensive Ebay kit, installation was standard, cost was a third of the kit you found.
My problem is the quality... Ebay is known for stuff to break or not work and fitment is never right. Im not saying all products but most are :confused:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
lots of people (including myself) have gone with the ddm kit. works great, and is quite inexpensive.

as for instructions. there are guides here, or you can find a set of instructions for HID install on the sector site. it's pretty universal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lots of people (including myself) have gone with the ddm kit. works great, and is quite inexpensive.

as for instructions. there are guides here, or you can find a set of instructions for HID install on the sector site. it's pretty universal.
Where did you buy yours? Id like to look into that and also what would be the best for visibility? 5k?
Do they sell high beams as well?

And does anyone know if an 05 elise is a H1 right?

·
Vendor
19 Posts
I'd love to say our HID kits are Lotus specific and you can’t find them anywhere else but the simple truth is they are just a generic H1 and H7 kit which we keep here. You should be able to source the same thing locally and save on the shipping!

Stu

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to say our HID kits are Lotus specific and you can’t find them anywhere else but the simple truth is they are just a generic H1 and H7 kit which we keep here. You should be able to source the same thing locally and save on the shipping!

Stu
oh ok well Ill look around thanks for the input.

One question tho. What is the difference between low and high beam? So I know what to look out for. I think the car would look better if high and low were HID instead of just low beams.

H1 is for low and H7 high?

Big respect for being honest thats hard to come by in companies nowadays most companies just want to make the sale.:up:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I bought the slim ballast. It mounts easier for the space allotted, also, its a lotus, go with less weight

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the slim ballast. It mounts easier for the space allotted, also, its a lotus, go with less weight

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide.com App
Lighter is better!:up:

Low Beam:

Watt - 55w
Bulb Type - H1 (would that be low beams?) 05 Elise
Bulb Color - 6000k

What do I do for high beam?

Watt - 55w
Bulb Type - ?
Bulb Color - 6000k

Not sure if you also got these options?

Do I need - HID Harness( Dual In Dual Out)?
Do I need - Error Eliminator?
Do I need - Adapter Cables?
Do I need - Mounting Brackets?

Thanks so much for the help btw!:bow:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Here is the original thread with a lot of discussion. It's worth a read, but I'll sum up here.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322/60-55w-hids-no-splicing-84776/

1- no drilling is required. If you read on, you can cut the DDM grommet off, and pull all the wiring through the OEM Lotus Grommet to do it with no clam alterations (EASY)

2- I have an 06 Exige, I believe the lights are the same.
watt 55w
bulb type H1
bulb color 5000k (this is choice, after a lot of research I went with this as it's closest to the 4500k that comes stock on most Audi's/BMW's)

High beams - the thought here is that since mostly it's for a quick flash, plus they are not limited, HID don't make sense here. Buy a nice set of bright bulbs to swap in while doing your HID install. light of day in front of my car.

Buy LEDs for your parking lights. They are on with your headlights, and once you go HID, you'll want a true white (or off blue) to match.

You'll need the 3M mounting tape (get the strong stuff from home depot) no error eliminator needed.

-JM

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
btw, before and after shot of someone else's car from the thread I mentioned earlier.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1498579-post74.html

EDIT:

two more comments: DDM shipping can be slow. They are SoCal based, so see if you can just go pick it up, as they ship for the site from China (2-3 weeks).

You may want to disable your DRLs as well. Easy to do, instructions are on LT.

-JM

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the original thread with a lot of discussion. It's worth a read, but I'll sum up here.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322/60-55w-hids-no-splicing-84776/

1- no drilling is required. If you read on, you can cut the DDM grommet off, and pull all the wiring through the OEM Lotus Grommet to do it with no clam alterations (EASY)

2- I have an 06 Exige, I believe the lights are the same.
watt 55w
bulb type H1
bulb color 5000k (this is choice, after a lot of research I went with this as it's closest to the 4500k that comes stock on most Audi's/BMW's)

High beams - the thought here is that since mostly it's for a quick flash, plus they are not limited, HID don't make sense here. Buy a nice set of bright bulbs to swap in while doing your HID install. light of day in front of my car.

Buy LEDs for your parking lights. They are on with your headlights, and once you go HID, you'll want a true white (or off blue) to match.

You'll need the 3M mounting tape (get the strong stuff from home depot) no error eliminator needed.

-JM
Thanks for the info but I think it will look nicer if I had HID High Beams. Me and friends like taking trips and we drive sometimes at night or early morning and it would be pitch black because the locations are usually in the middle of nowhere. When we took a trip from Los Angeles all the way down to Cabo San Lucas Mexico the High Beams were no help. If we do the trip again I would like to put HIDs for High and Low Beam.

So for the High Beam would I just buy the same setup or is it an H7 instead of H1?

Thanks for your input/ info!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
btw, before and after shot of someone else's car from the thread I mentioned earlier.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1498579-post74.html

EDIT:

two more comments: DDM shipping can be slow. They are SoCal based, so see if you can just go pick it up, as they ship for the site from China (2-3 weeks).

You may want to disable your DRLs as well. Easy to do, instructions are on LT.

-JM

Ill check with them to see if they have it in stock. Also the pics look good he has 6000k.. So yours would be a tinny bit more white right?

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Seems like a big thank you is due to the gentleman from Simply Sports Cars for being so honest!

Stu

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems like a big thank you is due to the gentleman from Simply Sports Cars for being so honest!
Seriously isnt it hard to come by for a company to do that?:clap:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Ill check with them to see if they have it in stock. Also the pics look good he has 6000k.. So yours would be a tinny bit more white right?
Right!

If you are sure about doing the high beams, it should be as easy as the low-beams, just know that they won't be limited (so it'll be blinding to any on-comers) and, should you ever need to just flash someone, it may not work as your expect (HIDs take a moment to warm up).

Also, it will say in your owners manual, but I believe your right that the high beams are 55w H7.

-JM

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right!

If you are sure about doing the high beams, it should be as easy as the low-beams, just know that they won't be limited (so it'll be blinding to any on-comers) and, should you ever need to just flash someone, it may not work as your expect (HIDs take a moment to warm up).

Also, it will say in your owners manual, but I believe your right that the high beams are 55w H7.

-JM
oh yeah never thought about the whole warming up thing... Well for people that have replaced your high beams to HID... Do you guys have problems of it not turning on fast enough to flash someone?:confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts